Cheese

crumblecookie

Does anyone get high blood sugar readings in the morning if they have eaten cheese at supper time. I have found that if I eat cheese and crackers at supper time ( usually 3 crackers and small slice of Wensleydale cheese on each) for my supper along with my cocoa. I know it's not the cocoa which I make with semi-skimmed milk because my blood sugars are around 5.2 - 5.8 if I don't have cheese. With cheese my blood sugars are anywhere from 7.6 - 8.8 I have now avoided cheese all together but I just wondered if anyone else has the same problem,

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried the cheese without the crackers to see what happens?

Reactions: ert

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please can you tell us which diabetes meds you are on, and which type of diabetes you have? This makes such a difference when we try to respond to any questions. Perhaps you could complete your profile details to include this information?

Regardless, it is not the best idea to eat carbs at bedtime unless your numbers are heading for hypo territory, and that depends on which meds you take.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have now avoided cheese all together but I just wondered if anyone else has the same problem,

Well, I'm going to disagree with the T2s who are posting and say it could be the cheese (T1 here with same problem). In my case, the cheese causes extreme delays in carb absorption and it's just fatal if I eat it as a post supper snack, even if I count for the (non-existent to abysmally small number of crackers eaten with it). Pizza effect anyone? (OK, you low carbers don't know what a pizza is...)

But I'm T1 not T2 so my issue may be a T1 one - I'm lowish carb (less than 100g per day) but that's probably pretty high by the standards of T2s on here.

Having said that, the crackers and the cocoa both sound pretty carby. I'd suggest repeating the experiment without the cheese just to see what happens.

D

Deleted member 308541

Well, I'm going to disagree with the T2s who are posting and say it could be the cheese (T1 here with same problem). I
@EllieM I think you wiill find that I mentioned that the crackers were the problem not the cheese, as did others.

The OP @crumblecookie has never filled in her profile since becoming a member on Sep 6, 2011. so no diabetes type listed and or type of mediication she is on.

dipsydo

I know we all are different and so how I react may be different to you . I take no meds apart from those for ulcerative colitis . I find that if I just have cheese as a late snack (no crackers or cocoa) I have higher than expected blood sugars next morning , but if I just have some nuts then there is no impact . Not sure of the reason but if you drop the crackers and still have an impact then maybe try a different snack.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone get high blood sugar readings in the morning if they have eaten cheese at supper time. I have found that if I eat cheese and crackers at supper time ( usually 3 crackers and small slice of Wensleydale cheese on each) for my supper along with my cocoa. I know it's not the cocoa which I make with semi-skimmed milk because my blood sugars are around 5.2 - 5.8 if I don't have cheese. With cheese my blood sugars are anywhere from 7.6 - 8.8 I have now avoided cheese all together but I just wondered if anyone else has the same problem,
are you still a diet controlled T2?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think you will find that I mentioned that the crackers were the problem not the cheese, as did others.

I, (sort of) agree, but for me, as a T1, it's the cheese. So I was putting it out there as a possibility.... But 3 small crackers could have anything from 6 to 20 gams of carb so they definitely are suspect.:)

But I would have thought that a mug of cocoa would have more carbs than 3 small crackers....and that isn't an issue.....?

That is a very good question.

D

Deleted member 308541

I, (sort of) agree, but for me, as a T1, it's the cheese. So I was putting it out there as a possibility.... But 3 small crackers could have anything from 6 to 20 gams of carb so they definitely are suspect.:)
I looked back through the OP's post and she is T2.

I looked at the carbs content of crackers on the foodstore where I shop, and generic crackers are 69grams / 100 grams.

So back to my original post eat cheese, dump crackers.

crumblecookie

But I would have thought that a mug of cocoa would have more carbs than 3 small crackers....and that isn't an issue.....?

That is a very good question.
I take Metformin 3 x 500 mgs and 1 Empagliflozin a day. I am certain it is the cheese because I have over the months tried crackers & jam--low blood sugar readings, crackers and butter--low blood sugar readings, small bar od dark chocolate---low blood sugar readings, just my cocoa ---low blood sugar readings. Cheese on it's own ---wow a high spike of 9 .2!!! Therefore I have left cheese alone. I love cheese but want to control my readings. I have lost just over 3 stone in weight over the past 2 years so I know that must be helping. My diabetic dietitian says eat whatever you want but in moderation. I have worked out that some foods do tend to spike my readings but cheese is the worst. I have also stopped eating Yoghurt because of the amount of sugar in it. I will occasionally have a small tub of plain yoghurt with some fruit. I just wondered if anyone else had the same reaction to cheese?

SaWi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Trying to understand what might be going on here (because I am coming back to cheese now that I have found a brand with lactase to remove the lactose for me).

Ellie says it might be delaying carb absorption, and crumble cookie is comparing the supper meal with the morning blood sugars. Might it be that, for a non-cheese supper, the blood sugars are high two hours after supper, but have come down quickly overnight? Whereas a cheese supper has kept the blood sugar spike delayed until nearer to morning?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3 crackers are likely to be about 6 grams of carbs....

crumblecookie

Trying to understand what might be going on here (because I am coming back to cheese now that I have found a brand with lactase to remove the lactose for me).

Ellie says it might be delaying carb absorption, and crumble cookie is comparing the supper meal with the morning blood sugars. Might it be that, for a non-cheese supper, the blood sugars are high two hours after supper, but have come down quickly overnight? Whereas a cheese supper has kept the blood sugar spike delayed until nearer to morning?
Looking at it like that maybe it is the reason. I know if I sleep late ( i have other problems besides Diabetes and don't sleep well) when I have done my blood sugars and they have been high, my dietitian has said it is " starvation mode". There is so much about Diabetes that even our nurses and dietitians don't seem to know all the facts about it.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Metformin 3 x 500 mgs and 1 Empagliflozin a day. I am certain it is the cheese because I have over the months tried crackers & jam--low blood sugar readings, crackers and butter--low blood sugar readings, small bar od dark chocolate---low blood sugar readings, just my cocoa ---low blood sugar readings. Cheese on it's own ---wow a high spike of 9 .2!!! Therefore I have left cheese alone. I love cheese but want to control my readings. I have lost just over 3 stone in weight over the past 2 years so I know that must be helping. My diabetic dietitian says eat whatever you want but in moderation. I have worked out that some foods do tend to spike my readings but cheese is the worst. I have also stopped eating Yoghurt because of the amount of sugar in it. I will occasionally have a small tub of plain yoghurt with some fruit. I just wondered if anyone else had the same reaction to cheese?
@crumblecookie have you tried plain Greek yoghurt which is fairly low carb. I add berries to mine with no affect on my BS.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @crumblecookie
congratulations on the weight loss, excellent stuff.

we are different as you know, so what affects me may not affect others and vice versa.

good suggestions all round.
But here's a point, might it be the cheese late in the day,
have you tried the cheese early morning perhaps..?
be a shame to miss out on something you seem to like, when simply shifting the time you eat might be a solution.

(i did read the cheese spike post of yours, just wasn't sure if that was late night eating )

Good luck finding a solution or alternative.

crumblecookie

@crumblecookie have you tried plain Greek yoghurt which is fairly low carb. I add berries to mine with no affect on my BS.
Yes and I do like plain yoghurt with some fruit but I tend to eat that as a dessert after my evening meal. I would not eat it at supper time. I have tried so many different supper time foods and found that cheese is my " bete noir " Even during the day it spikes my blood sugars. SO ---I leave it alone.
I just wondered if it affected anyone else but it seems not to.

crumblecookie