Lean Mass Hyper Responders

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone follow Dave Feldman's FB page entitled LMHR (Lean Mass Hyper Responder)?

Just curious what those of you eating low carb, keto and carnivore make of this fellow (who posted his story on that page) in his 50s who weight lifts and looks super fit and has been eating keto for a few years and then carnivore for 9 months, felt great he claimed. Then out of the blue he suffered 2 strokes in one day.

He says all his bio-markers were good. Very low IR. No inflammation. CAC of 23. Intermittent BP sometimes high though (160/97).
His neurologist couldn't work out what triggered the strokes. MRI result said "occlusion from thrombus". They said the vessels in his brain were so flexible that even with the sudden rush of blood, the vessels did not get totally blocked.

P.S. His cholesterol was high as typical for a "lean mass hyper responder" on a low carb diet.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If his neurologist couldn't figure out the cause I doubt anyone here could.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, what percentage of years was he on keto/carnivore compared to his other diet? Would it even be possible to compute the odds of a particular dietary or exercise or whatever lifestyle factor caused the strokes?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
If his neurologist couldn't figure out the cause I doubt anyone here could.
You never know. I think some pretty clever people might have ended up with diabetes and possibly high cholesterol, which they have done some of their own research on, and may see a missing piece in the puzzle.

Otherwise it's just the blind leading the blind, but worth asking anyway I thought.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Pr
Also, what percentage of years was he on keto/carnivore compared to his other diet? Would it even be possible to compute the odds of a particular dietary or exercise or whatever lifestyle factor caused the strokes?
Probably not. He expects genetics and a predisposition for high blood pressure plays a part. But just in case it is diet related, he was asking for opinions and others' experiences on that page.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You never know. I think some pretty clever people might have ended up with diabetes and possibly high cholesterol, which they have done some of their own research on, and may see a missing piece in the puzzle.

Otherwise it's just the blind leading the blind, but worth asking anyway I thought.
So there's a difference between being a LMHR and being on keto/carni diet and seeing higher LDL levels when not being a LMHR.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Strokes are caused by clots which are nothing to do with cholesterol per se.

Although he thought he was a LMHR he could have been one of those who really do have familial hypercholesterolaemia which can lead to clotting problems. That's why David Diamond thinks many die in the early years because of coagulation probs rather than "cholesterol" .
Could just be unlucky of course.. apparently perfectly healthy people appear to die every day of the week.
It was quite interesting that his docs thought his way of eating had prepared him so well for the event that he made a full recovery..

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I haven't read anything about this person, but hyperlipidemia does spring to mind. I also wonder what his iron levels were like, but it also brings into question what supplements etc he might of been using with weight training. There are some questionable practices out there in that industry. Which is possibly one of the most deceitful industries around.

Blood pressure of 160/97 is a big red flag, you have to wonder how often was it that high? Did it get higher at times? Was it frequently that high? I find it hard to look past that.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't read anything about this person, but hyperlipidemia does spring to mind. I also wonder what his iron levels were like, but it also brings into question what supplements etc he might of been using with weight training. There are some questionable practices out there in that industry. Which is possibly one of the most deceitful industries around.

Blood pressure of 160/97 is a big red flag, you have to wonder how often was it that high? Did it get higher at times? Was it frequently that high? I find it hard to look past that.
The high blood pressure was something others mentioned as a probable cause.
He mentioned that he'd been taking the supplements Vit D, Vit K2, Magnesium, CoQ10 probably the ones Patrick Theut recommends.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

Although he thought he was a LMHR he could have been one of those who really do have familial hypercholesterolaemia which can lead to clotting problems. That's why David Diamond thinks many die in the early years because of coagulation probs rather than "cholesterol" .
Could just be unlucky of course.. apparently perfectly healthy people appear to die every day of the week.
It was quite interesting that his docs thought his way of eating had prepared him so well for the event that he made a full recovery..
I think one guy who was commenting wondered if the stroke was plaque that had ruptured and caused a blockage, which would be cholesterol related, wouldn't it? But it could be more about coagulation, as you say. We also don't know what his diet was like for his whole life before he started keto 3 years ago.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just to clarify, because the gentleman is a LMHR does not necessarily mean his TC is screechingly high all the time, this is not the same as Hypercholesterolaemia. He stated that all his markers inc CAC were very good.

Reactions: Cocosilk

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

There are two different types of stroke, maybe more. One is a clot. The other is a bleed. I'm away at present and don't have the links or details. I seem to remember bleeds can be caused by high blood pressure.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Then there is a stroke caused by a brain arteriovenous malformation which can be present at birth or develop later in life.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
There is also an embolic stroke.

Small vessel disease of the brain, a precursor to occlusive stroke, can be caused by diabetes and high blood pressure.