Type 2 Skin not so good

Steph001

I’ve only been doing the LCHF for a week and I have a few red spots in my face which is quite unusual for me. Has anyone else had this? Could it be from transitioning to this new way of eating? I ate a LOT of carbs before. I’m prediabetic and therefore not on medication. Both parents are type 2. Thank you!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I understand, if you switched your diet to suddely include a lot more dairy, it could cause acne flare-ups... If you've started on a lot of milk/cheese/cream, maybe cut down again a little?

Reactions: Steph001

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or it’s possible that similar to after a facial the clear out of “junk” from your system has caused the flare up as it exits your body.

I’d watch closely but not worry too much yet if it were me. Early days.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a link to what www.dietdoctor.com says about acne and low carb/keto.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/benefits/acne

this is a quote from about half way down the page:
  • Give the diet some time: Paradoxically, some people report a worsening of acne shortly after starting a keto or low-carb diet. However, this appears to be short-lived and may be part of the keto-adapatation process. Overall, breakouts seem to improve with carb restriction long term in the vast majority of people.

APR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Steph001 - I had the WORST spots/breakouts for 5-6 MONTHS after going full-on grain- and sugar-free. Huge red spots would just appear on my cheeks - seemingly out of nowhere. If that wasn't enough at the same time I also had extreme hives (Keto Rash? possibly dermatitis herpetiformis?). But now, apart from the rash on the knuckle of one finger (I'm likely still coming into contact with gluten somewhere) my skin has cleared up. Like you I was pre-diabetic and unmedicated. Hold on, this will likely pass once your body has adjusted. Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My skin is now really good - but then it has been for most of my life - however in the months after diagnosis I had bits dropping out of my pores, mostly hard and quite small but a few surprising lumps. I had been eating a low fat high carb diet for almost two years before diagnosis - to 'lower cholesterol'. I would scratch at a itch and hear something hit the hard floor in the bathroom - most disconcerting. After the first summer, though, it stopped - presumably normality was regained.

Steph001

Hello @Steph001 - I had the WORST spots/breakouts for 5-6 MONTHS after going full-on grain- and sugar-free. Huge red spots would just appear on my cheeks - seemingly out of nowhere. If that wasn't enough at the same time I also had extreme hives (Keto Rash? possibly dermatitis herpetiformis?). But now, apart from the rash on the knuckle of one finger (I'm likely still coming into contact with gluten somewhere) my skin has cleared up. Like you I was pre-diabetic and unmedicated. Hold on, this will likely pass once your body has adjusted. Good luck.

Wow! Well done for sticking to it after all that time!! Do you feel better are your bloods better? Thank you!