Type 1 Need to gain Weight

IanDmcc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am type 1 Diabetic and have lost so much weight i would like to gain some I struggle to eat a lot of nuts as they make me Cough is there a simple way to gain Weight as I do Carb count and i am on an insulin Pump

Ian

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Ian and welcome to the forum :)

Firstly have you been checked out at the GP to see if there's any other reason for your weight loss ?

Protein shakes, adding more fat into your diet and of course increasing carbs are the first things i'd do if I wanted to gain some weight, but best to get your GP to review first in case there's another reason for your weight loss.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am type 1 Diabetic and have lost so much weight i would like to gain some I struggle to eat a lot of nuts as they make me Cough is there a simple way to gain Weight as I do Carb count and i am on an insulin Pump

Ian
hi ian ive been type1 for just over 2 years now .i had an appointment this morning with my diabeties team i told them im concerned over still losing weight and they have told me to go to gp over this as they doubted it was diabeties related how long have you been diagnosed for ?

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Ian

The first thing you must do is get your BS levels in check, assuming you haven't already. Elevated glucose levels will lead to muscle loss, and low glucose levels will leave you with a host of its own problems.

Once BS levels are stable, weight gain is essentially the same as with anyone else, stay in a calorific surplus (by eating healthy foods which wont advocate excessive fat gain). Nuts are typical as they are very calorie dense. You need to track what you are eating etc, for example a 250g steak can have almost 700 calories in it, add to that some sides etc., that's easily a 1000 calorie meal. A few eggs can have over 200 calories, you may be surprised how much you are actually consuming.