Type 2 Could Libre be way off/broken?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have put a new libra sensor on (last night) scanned this morning so I have let it bed in. Always been very accurate in the past.

Never really ate yesterday apart from some dark chocolate about 8 pm, (bit of a weird day) but anyway, I can't get my numbers below 20 :(

injected my normal 22 units of Humalin I at bedtime, Haven't eaten today (up at 5am) and I have 30 mins ago injected 8 units of Novorapid and nothing! I never use novo without food as it makes hypo, 5 units makes me hypo.

30 minutes on from the 8 units and I have an up arrow on the libra, could this be broken? I have no finger tests at work and no keystone strips so relying on the libra.

Anyone had this happen please?

Thankyou

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes they can be faulty (same as any other tech can be faulty).
I've had a couple that were faulty (over about 2ish years) and showed very inaccurate numbers.
It's always best to make sure you have a testing kit handy for times when it shows either low or high as they are not accurate at very low or high levels, or for when the libre shows values that don't correlate with how you feel.

Admittedly if you've taken a lot more insulin that normal and are not hypo'ing then it may be correct - maybe your insulin pen needs replacing - but actual blood testing is the only way to tell - when I was using Novorapid however sometimes its seemed to take hours for it to do anything.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou Rokaab

I suppose I have become complacent as the Libra has always been so accurate for me, I am kind of thinking it is ok as I should be feeling like **** now after the 8 units and feel fine, 46 minutes since injecting.

I have never felt any symptoms at all at mid 20s so that make me worry its correct and possible the insulin is broken hehe, I will have to ride home and pick up kit, this isn't ideal as I don't want to have problems half way.

all good fun right?.... right? hmmm

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fenn do you have a pharmacy nearby (walkable) to your work, I wonder if you could ask if they could do you a one off finger prick test if you explain the situation that you don’t want to risk driving home unless your confirmed as ok by a finger prick test.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Fenn you need to give the Libre a good 24 hours to settle in, I never trusted readings for it for the first day or so.

Also get your test strips too, you need these as back up regardless of your Libre usage, if it did fail/fall off then you need to be able to check, and more so if you drive.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for replies.

Yes lesson learned, stupid

sitting at 20.8 steady arrow now, weird thing is I should be feeling terrible if the libra is broken, the novo usually takes 20-30 minutes for me, been an hour now, never taken that much without food before but nothing, weird huh? nothing but a few squares of dark chocolate in 24 hours, where is it coming from?

No chemist close by and only have motorbike for travel today, I think ill risk a short ride to local chemist as home is maybe 40 minutes filtering through traffic

Thanks again!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Yes. I've had similar issues but not quite as extreme. I don't think you can use your new sensor. My new sensor seemed a lot better than the last, but overnight, it's now out by 4mmol/L, when it's been great for 3 days. For no apparent reason. I'm certainly earning my free Libre's by finger pricking over 8 a day, this week anyhow.

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks

Gone down quite a bit now thankfully 16.8 its been 4 hours since novo so I am going to go get my test kit, be interesting if it matches, where is the glucose coming from? hehe

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
the novo usually takes 20-30 minutes for me

Insulin has a much harder job to do at higher levels, so if it turns out you are in the 20s, it wouldn't be unusual for it take quite a long time to see a drop.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to trouble you all, Libre sensor was broken, tested with finger prick and it was 6.6 whilst phone said 17.6 so I will have to have a look at how you send them back for a replacement, I assume they will want it back (with the little bit of leaked blood) rather than just take my word for it?

So mystery solved, all is as it should be, thanks for your kind replies.

Reactions: zand and Fndwheelie

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
This does make me wonder if I had hypo'ed without symptoms which is a worry for another day

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to trouble you all, Libre sensor was broken, tested with finger prick and it was 6.6 whilst phone said 17.6 so I will have to have a look at how you send them back for a replacement, I assume they will want it back (with the little bit of leaked blood) rather than just take my word for it?

So mystery solved, all is as it should be, thanks for your kind replies.

Ring them up, normally they do want 3 examples of where the sensor was different to the blood test meter - and yes keep hold of the old sensor as they will indeed want it back, they will send the new sensor and a postage-paid envelope to return said sensor .

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Ring them up, normally they do want 3 examples of where the sensor was different to the blood test meter - and yes keep hold of the old sensor as they will indeed want it back, they will send the new sensor and a postage-paid envelope to return said sensor .
Examples? like photos of both next to each other?

Thankyou

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Examples? like photos of both next to each other?
Last time I had to they just had me tell them the values that both my meter showed and what the reader(or phone) showed for the libre.
If I remember correctly, they send a clinical waste bag ... or that may be my pump and my mind is confusing the two!
They send two biohazard waste bags (its very amusing to show the guys at work these bags) - and you need to use both they say.