Disgusted with myself!!!

Mel2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Im absolutely fuming at myself!! After getting my HbA1c down alot also my weight, ive slipped into old habits, im not eating right im lazy about it, im skipping breakfast and snacking on stuff I shouldn't be inbetween lunch and dinner! I keep saying ill do better tomorrow but I don't! Anyway..

Would a protein shake be ok for me to take in the mornings?

And snacking ways, is an apple and peanut butter ok?

Sorry for the long post/rant!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No disgust. This endeavour is not easy at the beginning. Carbs are addictive and so convenient that it is very easy to slip back to habits that can be life long.

Stand tall, dust yourself off and start again. Snacks should be low in carbs and higher in healthy fats with a bit of protein, after a while the snacking just ebbs away as you grow to feel that you no longer need them. Fruit is not a good idea as a snack for us. I suggest cheese, cooked meats or a few nuts but not peanuts or cashews as they are higher in carbs and very more-ish.

Mel2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No disgust. This endeavour is not easy at the beginning. Carbs are addictive and so convenient that it is very easy to slip back to habits that can be life long.

Stand tall, dust yourself off and start again. Snacks should be low in carbs and higher in healthy fats with a bit of protein, after a while the snacking just ebbs away as you grow to feel that you no longer need them. Fruit is not a good idea as a snack for us. I suggest cheese, cooked meats or a few nuts but not peanuts or cashews as they are higher in carbs and very more-ish.
Thank you, its just hard when you see the effort you put in and now you know your back tracking it all! I was eating pecan nuts as a snack are they ok?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheese, olives,nuts are great for snacks. Weigh nuts so you don't eat too many. Skipping breakfast is ok.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Im absolutely fuming at myself!! After getting my HbA1c down alot also my weight, ive slipped into old habits, im not eating right im lazy about it, im skipping breakfast and snacking on stuff I shouldn't be inbetween lunch and dinner! I keep saying ill do better tomorrow but I don't! Anyway..

No disgust from me here at all, you have to learn how to walk before you can run. All of this is a long term journey and I know you can do this. There will be bad days and good days but as long as you keep yourself going that is the main thing.

Skipping breakfast isn’t a bad thing unless you are taking something that you need to eat with. I usually skip it myself here. A protein shake is fine as long as it doesn’t have any hidden sugars or anything thrown into it that could spike you. As for fruit @Guzzler has the right of it!

Reactions: Guzzler

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey at least this time round you know what to do and that it works. Dust yourself off, accept that we all are only human and start again. You wouldn’t be this harsh to anyone else so don’t be like it to yourself. It’s only failure if you don’t try.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thank you, its just hard when you see the effort you put in and now you know your back tracking it all! I was eating pecan nuts as a snack are they ok?
I have tried with pecans and they were ok for me, as always test a couple of times to make sure. Almonds and walnuts seem to go down well for me too.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i just want to add that Diabetes is a marathon not a sprint so all of us regardless of type will fail at some point ... we are all human .... i applaud that you came on here and told what you are feeling ..... we have strength in numbers .. you are not alone
keep doing your best -- all that we can do !!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beating yourself up is a waste of energy, treat everything as part of your education. Good and bad.

PamJHS

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you be disgusted with anyone else who said they'd slipped into bad habits? I bet you wouldn't.

I was only diagnosed a few weeks ago, and I can already see what a challenge it is to stick to the right eating habits every single day. I more or less gave up on holiday with the family, just tried my best to keep it as low carb as possible, otherwise I wouldn't have got to eat at all. Having experienced that, I'll plan better next time.

It sounds as if you've got a lot of good habits established to go back to.

Last edited:

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we have all been there done that... (and likely will again) It's tough, the alternatives however suck. I find that prep really helps to avoid slipping...ie take a snack with me, eat before a party, shop frequently so there are LC options readily available.

Reactions: PamJHS

Cyclospora

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm in the same boat! Did really well to get down to 43 and gradually slipped back into bad habits. Work pressures meant that I didn't get out and do as much walking either - which is stupid! Health comes first :). I've made excuses to cancel my last check up and I've put some of my weight back on too :(

Today is a new day!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations, you're human! We all muck up sometimes. At least you've recognised the problem, and are willing to do something about it. Avoid fruit save for berries though, add somw cream while you're at it. (Apples are not a good idea). Pecans were fine, as are macadamia's and walnuts. (My phone just wanted to "correct" macadamia's into mass-murder. What!?). A square or two of extra dark, 85% chocolate is good too, or olives, cheese, pork scratchings... Or just a cup of tea or coffee.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps; protein shakes are often very carby, so... Better go for no brekkie, eggs with bacon, cheese and/or high meat content sausages, or full fat greek yoghurt with some berries or nuts.

Mel2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all! Ive took a few days to get myself into that kick ass mode! Ive been on diet doctor im definitely ready to get back into the swing of this!