Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Today I made seitan bacon and steaks, then a batch of parmegan and finally I mixed up another bowl of sweet 'n smoky marinade and popped a tin of well-rinsed chickpeas in it. A spoonful of that goes beautifully with my chopped veg lunch.

Breakfast's scrambled tofu was made by scrambling it in the very buttery vegan Flora. Was delicious on toast, with some grilled tomatoes and fried mushrooms.

Lunch will be husband's home made coleslaw with some quorn smoked slices (trial run) plus salad. That way if I don't like the quorn I can leave it but help myself to extra salad.

Dinner is a seitan steak (for me) in Italian marinade with mediterranean roast veg mix, and a jacket potato. Afterwards, as usual, yoghurt & berries for me, ice cream for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of town for work the past few days and ate some good foods, but a little too much...plus wine :) So, today is a light eating day.

B: Zeno bar (nut based breakfast bar), iced coffee with a little cream
L: small salad with vinegar dressing
D: apple and peanut butter

Reactions: WuTwo and Marie 2

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: steel cut oatmeal, peanut butter and iced coffee with cream*
L: big salad. Shaved Brussels sprouts, kale and some shaved left over broccoli stems, Panera fat free poppy seed dressing, avocado, white beans, pepitas, and a sprinkle of dried cranberries.
S: mixed olives
D: cauliflower “risotto”, with roasted butternut squash and coconut cream, handful of soy nuts. Small apple. I’m going to make that parmegan that is posted in one of the threads. It will be great on the risotto next time.

* the cream use is a (vegan) mix of coconut and almond milk. So good.

Last edited:
Reactions: WuTwo and Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Carpet shampooing this morning (living room), so quick and easy brekkie. Peanut butter on toast for me, marmite on toast for him.

Let's hope we can be a little more imaginative and colourful at lunch and dinner!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Lunch turned out to be sandwiches - not imaginative, but different - I haven't had a sarnie for ages. I chose smoked quorn slices and a tangy corn relish in a gorgeous seeded wholemeal bread.

Bit of side salad, naturally, and I'm seriously thinking about strawberries to follow.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Dinner was gorgeous. We decided on Chinese takeaway and I had satay mixed veg chow mein, mushrooms in garlic sauce and fried onions (I love fried onions lol).

Husband had a plain mixed veg chow mein, vegetables in black bean sauce and beansprouts.

We each only served part our meals and can have the leftovers tomorrow for lunch.

I had a Magnum classic to follow.

I will be chasing the high bloods down for hours! (But oh it was worth it).

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: oatmeal, peanut butter and blackberries.
L: My order of caper berries finally arrived this morning, so I had a large handful, along with carrots and hummus, olives and artichoke hearts.
D: I bought some Gardein “meat”balls, which I like but rarely buy anymore, and will have them with spaghetti sauce and Gafell brand (low carb, high protein) spaghetti.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Walking Girl I haven't seen Gafell brand here, I will have to look for it. It looks like it is higher protein than what I have seen before!

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Marie 2

I get mine from Amazon, although honestly it’s actually more ideal for Asian inspired dishes like stir fry's or noodle soups, It has a bit of a “springy” bite that reminds me of ramen noodles. Though I miss pasta, so smothered in spaghetti sauce and with faux meatballs it’s still darn good.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Walking Girl Thank you for the info!
I do eat whole wheat pasta, I just am always looking for things that might have better profiles.
I do like zucchini noodles with marinara, not the same obviously but it's a low carb way to get a fix for spaghetti sauce! (and meatballs,) I absolutely love spaghetti squash with a loaded garlic marinara.

Reactions: Walking Girl

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Tonight - by hook or by crook - will be seitan tenders for dinner. I have to make a fresh batch because the last lot were kinda spongey. I checked with husband (I did the mix and got them into the steamer, and left him to deal with the steaming itself) and it turns out that he left them for 25 minutes a side, not 25 minutes in total. I guess that explains a lot.

So today I am throwing out a box of tenders and making a new boxful. And tonight I'm going to eat one with the proper texture.

I love him to bits but sometimes!!!

Reactions: Walking Girl

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Breakfast was tofurky hickory smoked slices with sliced tomato and warmed foccacia bread (rosemary & sundried tomatoes on top), with whole berry cranberry juice afterwards.

Lunch will be chopped raw cauli, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, baby sweetcorns and chickpeas in sauce. I'll follow up with an Asda jellypot - 1 calorie, no carbs, lots of flavour and no hideous fake sugar flavour.

Through the day I'll keep drinking the cranberry juice and the flat leaf parsley tea. Also, on @Marie 2 advice, taking D-mannose as a supplement. I'm using the sachets of stuff, but if it hasn't worked by tomorrow the packet says to call the doctor for an appointment. I have no chance. I'll have to speak to that wretched nurse who'll make me wait a fortnight before kindly agreeing to test a sample....

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: with friends at a local restaurant. I had a roasted red pepper and artichoke heart frittata, with a side of arugula instead of the toast. Coffee with cream.
L: small salad, caper berries
D: none, fasting after lunch until after I land tomorrow after my morning flight, so ~ 24 hours of fasting

The fasting is to make up for the good food and wine I will no doubt be consuming next week on my trip :)

Reactions: Marie 2 and WuTwo

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi WuTwo, I think that means it's not e coli? You need it properly cultured so you get the exact right antibiotic.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi WuTwo, I think that means it's not e coli? You need it properly cultured so you get the exact right antibiotic.

You know that and I know that.

I'l have to make an appointment to see an actual doctor, but getting them to let me see one will be a toughie. Usually women with cystitis are funnelled straight to the nurse, who will do the exact same test as last time (just to show there is an infection, not necessarily which sort) before prescribing.

I will have to go in and speak to areceptionist in person and then hope I can persuade them to let me see an actual doctor because this is now recurrent and to my mind beyond the nurse.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

B. Scrambled tofu, home made bacon seitan, tinned cherry tomatoes

L. Warmed foccacia, little mountain of fresh cherry toms, tofurkey (the hickory one - to use it up)

We haven't got round to thinking about dinner yet.

Tomorrow is my long day at work so I'm going to take an individual pot of cauliflower & coconut dahl and some blueberries for afterwards.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Turns out he had thought about dinner, and we're having edamame bean stir fry with added leftover beansprouts, and I think there's about five or six other veggies in there. With that there are falafels and some Shwarma kebab "meat". With a sauce that he reckons will pull it all together. Mind you, his ideas of what goes together can be a little unusual.

I'm saying nothing - I'm tired and I'm really grateful to leave it to him :)