Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Vegan Pasta Primavera takeout and a huge salad with Yves bacon added onto it.
I timed my insulin in 4 different segments and no spiking above a .5 difference so I was proud of myself for that one! A little early on the first dose and a little too much for the last dose so I got to eat a piece of chocolate! I don't much need an excuse for that!

Reactions: WuTwo

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I meant to tell you WuTwo, the tofurky freezes really nice, I will dethaw it or micro it when I want to use it again.
That way you don't have to worry about using it up, you can wait until you really want it again.

Avocado and tofurky sandwich is really good BTW. Of course you should know by now, avocado is one of my favs!
Also a open faced sandwich with gravy!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Thanks @Marie 2 - I'll get some more and pop it in the freezer; it'll be really useful. It does make a gorgeous sandwich! I had it with salad and mayo yesterday.

Yep - I recall that you're quite fond of avocado lol ... *stands out of the way as Marie 20 stampedes to the avocado counter .....*

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
B. Home made seitan bacon sandwich (with ketchup) - gorgeous. This batch of bacon turned out just right!

L. Tofu scramble on toast, with a pile of cherry toms and diced cucumber on the side. I used the tofu scramble spice mix - very nice too!

D. We've got as far as black Thai rice (for the chewy texture), roasted mediterranean veg, and steamed broccoli. Still dithering about what to go with. I was going to make a quiche but the dogs needed an emergency bath each after their walk, which meant the floor needed cleaning afterwards, which meant the carpet cleaning machine needed cleaning out..... and by the time we'd done that, and played with the dogs so they ran round and dried off thoroughly, we kinda looked at each other and pointed at the freezer when we said the word "Dinner?"

Also, today we were wanting to bulk buy the black rice and by chance found out that it is high in Vitamin E and has more antioxidants than blueberries! It also has protein and fibre content. Apparently it was once regarded as a blood tonic by the Chinese. I love the stuff. Don't eat much at a time - I have about 100g of cooked rice but because it's chewy that's ample.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Another bacon sarnie for brekkie.

If I have anything for lunch it'll be a very small, light salad - it's too warm for eating really.

I made the deep dish quiche for dinner. It uses a chickpea batter with lots of sliced pre-cooked peppers (green and red), onion, and a pile of pre-roasted cauli florets. You could do it as a frittata if looking not to eat the carbs. The recipe (see link in main Veggie forum) makes a lot of quiche.

We're having it with asparagus and cherry tomatoes. I don't think either of us will want anything else except maybe some berries and yoghurt afterwards.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

We got some Shawarma Greek kebab "meat" today; this will go beautifully with a stirfry tonight. We have several varieties of mushroom to go in plus four different colour bell peppers. This meal will be lovely to look at as well as eat.

Depending on how hungry we are at the time, there are Quorn escalopes to go with, or I could have a seitan tender. Depends on how much protein I have at lunch. I'm thinking of scrambled tofu with chopped veggies and I could see what's in the fridge that would fit in.

Brekkie was toast and marmalade. Haven't had that for ages! Not a lot of goodness in it, but such a lot of flavour :)

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did well with food on my travels, but too much wine :), and not enough sleep. On this particular trip, I see colleagues I see in person 2x a year, so we have fun.

I had to go shopping this morning, so I started with brunch.

Early a.m., almond milk latte at Starbucks
Brunch: soy yogurt topped with berries and nuts
Late lunch: baked falafel, taziki, cucumber, cilantro, on chilled (cooked) riced cauliflower
Dinner: planning on a big salad with avocado, corn salsa, and lots of pinto beans. A few pieces of chocolate.

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I pushed the boat out a bit with brekkie today:

h/m seitan bacon, mushrooms, spicy scrambled tofu and tinned cherry tomatoes! The whole lot came to a massive 15g carbs.

I was thinking that if we're busy I might not get lunch, or I might not feel like it. If I do get time and want it, I have a salad bowl lined up in the fridge. Just mixed chopped veg with sprouted seeds, parmigan and a handful of sunflower seeds.

Dinner - dunno yet. We have loads of broccoli, so that's on the menu and I noticed a few too many baby sweetcorn and baby courgettes. If I had some avocado I'd make the new recipe I spotted in this month's Vegan Life but there's no avocado in the house.

Reactions: Walking Girl

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: yogurt with raspberries and nuts, cantaloupe
L: Chipotle’s salad with tofu, lots of pinto beans, guacamole, 2 types of salsa
D: stir fry with mixed veggies, chickpeas, Gafell noodles, and coconut curry sauce. 3 squares of dark chocolate with peanut butter. 2 glasses of white wine. ok, 2.5 glasses :)

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

B. Rather too much crunchy peanut butter on w/m toast.

L. Very small salad.

D. We have made a mixed pepper deep dish quiche, which will be served warm with buttered (fake) jacket potatoes and a large mixed salad. Assorted pickles if wanted. Then there is a blackberry & apple pie with proper custard (both vegan and made by my d-i-l. She and my son are coming over for dinner).

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Oatmeal, blueberries and peanut butter, latte
L: big salad with garbanzo beans, sun dried tomatoes, olives and avocado
S: big handful of baby carrots, hummus
D: stir fry over noodles, coconut curry sauce

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: large iced latte with almond milk
L: too much :). I had a lovely lunch all packed for work then a coworker suggested eating out. So, corn chips, salsa, bean tostada and refried beans.
(Leg day at the gym. I made up for the chips with 50 extra squats. Plus, I was able to get the free weight reclined leg press vs the machine, so my legs were all wobbly. Take that, pile of corn chips. LOL.)
D: edamame pasta (posted in favorite products thread), blistered tomatoes, and quick pesto with toasted pine nuts and basil.

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

We had mushroom tagliatelle for dinner last night. Mushrooms were a mix of dried, exotic and chestnut. Pasta was wholemeal and there was spinach in there too. Lovely meal.

Lunch was a Marks & Sparks cauli, coconut and lentil dhal, and I had a large handful of cherry tomatoes afterwards.

Brekkie - spicy scrambled tofu, fried mushies and tinned cherry toms. Breakfast we're always going for speed because getting out of the house and into the office by 8.00 is a bit of a rush otherwise.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Tonight is h/m butter cauli curry with black Thai rice. The recipe is sooooo easy - impossible to resist for two curry loving people!

Brekkie - crunchy p/b on toast

Lunch - dunno yet. Depends on if I'm hungry. If not, a cup of Marigold bouillon drink. If yes, - pile of chopped raw veggies etc.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: almond milk latte
L: big Greek salad
S: handful of nuts before the gym
D: shared a med appetizer tray - hummus, baba ganoush, olives, fresh mozzarella, toasted red peppers, 2 triangles of pita bread. 1 slice of breaded baked Brie on a cracker. 2 glasses of wine. And a call to my SO to bring me home ;)

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
A sandwich with Tofurky, Yves bacon, chao black pepper cheese, tomatoes, pickles!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Brekkie was baked beans on toast with scrambled tofu.

We have agreed that today we will eat our way through the assorted leftovers. Thank heavens we have tortilla wraps! If I chop some more seitan and cook it through the curry I can see a curry wraps in our future, and a quorn cottage pie thing if he fancies it (Supper last night was quorn shepherd's pie but the topping was carrot/swede/potato mix). Hmmm. If I chop some salad veggies to go with, I think we'll both have very full wraps and tummies.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brekkie was baked beans on toast with scrambled tofu.

We have agreed that today we will eat our way through the assorted leftovers. Thank heavens we have tortilla wraps! If I chop some more seitan and cook it through the curry I can see a curry wraps in our future, and a quorn cottage pie thing if he fancies it (Supper last night was quorn shepherd's pie but the topping was carrot/swede/potato mix). Hmmm. If I chop some salad veggies to go with, I think we'll both have very full wraps and tummies.
Oh sounds scrummy, you could cook up the seitan and the curry then seal the wraps and you have your very own large samosas. ;)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I've decided to join in :D
I've so far had a soy iced coffee with a splash of alpro single cream, with a side of alpro simply plain yogurt with strawberries. As for snacks and hypo treatments, lots of oreos. :)

Reactions: Marie 2 and WuTwo