What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. A mild 31 forecast today so hordes of men who should be saved from themselves mooching about in vests, shorts and trainers. Peter the meter had the temerity to proffer an alarmingly normal 4.5 for my delectation this morning. Rude to refuse the offer but likely to be fake news and end in tears. Which brings me to the impending dystopian nightmare which will become the backdrop to all readings for a while. Enjoy today and hopefully see some of y'all on the other side.:arghh::arghh::arghh:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Morening folks from the dark and dangerous norf, I found some stray internetty, no I didn't steal it ( this time anyway ) so I am using of it to post my blood sugars this morning.

Good job I am not riding or driving because the reading was 4.8
Must go the dial up has dialed out.

Don't you just love being in the dark and dangerous norf........oh for street lights and tarmac roads.

Reactions: Viv19

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.7 this morning after an 18hr fast. So it looks like - after an extensive search - no hidden glucose was found to boost my blood sugars. At least not this morning!

@ianpspurs - definitely a winner for the blood sugars this morning and the rest of your post was really funny.

@Debandez so good to hear about the network of Drs and HCPs who are promoting this way of treating T2D. The photo shoot for the Sun sounded fun.

@DJC3 good to hear that the photo shoot went well and that Dennis only tried to chew the camera man's case once.

@jjraak yes - it would be scary if 'the voices made me do it'.
@Viv19 that's a scary story about listening in - in the Eastern Block.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning,a 3.30 hypo of interestingly 3.3. Pack of dolly mixture later and then 4.4 this morning. I text my diabetic nurse this morning to tell her that I may have found a cure for both diabetes and weight loss... good people, who knew about lchf? My response was a smiley and a tongue in cheek alongside a comment about research should be done.. my DN knows me so well

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning,a 3.30 hypo of interestingly 3.3. Pack of dolly mixture later and then 4.4 this morning. I text my diabetic nurse this morning to tell her that I may have found a cure for both diabetes and weight loss... good people, who knew about lchf? My response was a smiley and a tongue in cheek alongside a comment about research should be done.. my DN knows me so well
Need a hybrid emoji - hug for hypo, funny for text and response and optimistic for lchf. Hope the rest of your day sees bg stabilise and you enjoy the sunshine in the People's Republic of There Be Dragons. Meanwhile, the rest of us are about to be pranked/lied to in the hope of making us believe it is possible to polish a huge trud.

Last edited:

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I have been contemplating investing in one but don’t have a pc so not sure I’d be able to make the most of it.
I don’t have a pc, I just buy the sensors. If you have a reasonably modern phone with Near Field Communication (NFC) you don’t need a pc or the abbot libre reader. I use my phone with the LibreLink app which does my scanning the phone is able to active the sensor. I did look at the LibreView website on my iPad, but found it confusing, but the reports and graphs seem accessible on the phone.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I have been contemplating investing in one but don’t have a pc so not sure I’d be able to make the most of it.
The making the most of it confuses me. Assuming there are all kinds of variations during sleep for e.g how can I avoid sleeping? Also, the eat to the meter idea sounds fine in theory. What if one has eliminated all foods/meals except the most LC menu your taste and body can tolerate? How much use is the data then?. 365 fasting not an option. Not anti the idea just wondering how useful all the data may be personally. Very open to practical examples of how I can make even marginal gains or losses.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t have a pc, I just buy the sensors. If you have a reasonably modern phone with Near Field Communication (NFC) you don’t need a pc or the abbot libre reader. I use my phone with the LibreLink app which does my scanning the phone is able to active the sensor. I did look at the LibreView website on my iPad, but found it confusing, but the reports and graphs seem accessible on the phone.

Thanks, my iPhone does have NFC but I didn’t realise the reports and graphs were accessible on the app. That makes it more of a plus.
@ianpspurs I think I see what you mean. It’s always a huge surprise to me whenever I see my finger-stab results - after 18 months I still can’t say with any confidence that meal A will give me a better reading than meal B even though I may have had them both hundreds of times - there are so many variables other than the carb count. I thought ( rightly or wrongly - no idea) that the Libre might make it easier to untangle the effects of exercise, inactivity, stress, etc etc. Then I think it’ll probably confuse me even more! I think the effects of exercise for instance take several days to kick in and fizzle out so not so cut and dried or easy to measure as a Mars bar.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Must back from the metropolis and meanwhile confirmed Bluster and Blunder has ascended the throne. Just want to laugh and cry.
@ianpspurs great fbg. @DJC3 we did drive up but the traffic was lighter than normal think lots away for start of school hols. Very glad to be back in the country though. @Fndwheelie good going hope your new reduced levels will soon facilitate the op. @Goacher55 hug for the hypo hope you are better now.
Stay cool everyone.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, my iPhone does have NFC but I didn’t realise the reports and graphs were accessible on the app. That makes it more of a plus.
@ianpspurs I think I see what you mean. It’s always a huge surprise to me whenever I see my finger-stab results - after 18 months I still can’t say with any confidence that meal A will give me a better reading than meal B even though I may have had them both hundreds of times - there are so many variables other than the carb count. I thought ( rightly or wrongly - no idea) that the Libre might make it easier to untangle the effects of exercise, inactivity, stress, etc etc. Then I think it’ll probably confuse me even more! I think the effects of exercise for instance take several days to kick in and fizzle out so not so cut and dried or easy to measure as a Mars bar.
For me it is less of the surprise element than what I could do to eliminate problems. I need to eat, I need to move and it is impossible to eliminate all stress even though being retired and something of a recluse life is pretty stress free IMHO. Examples of how the Libre has actually helped someone make better choices from those realistically controllable would help. Currently, I seem to have set menu A and no other real option. Fbg of 4.5 today suggests it is fine for that but it doesn't bear analysis for nutes and vits.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 iPhone 7 or newer is required, I’m still playing with my first sensor, so getting used to it. I’ve yet to decide if it will be a long term thing (self funding), or just 14 days snapshot measurements of my diabetes.as for untangling the webs of confusion, I kinda know what foods are bad, and seeing it on the libre does nail it home in my head a bit more. I’ve seen some bits that intrigue me, but I think since I started I’ve been changing lots of different things, so that could be skewing my results a bit, and confusing me about sugar levels. Maybe the way to do it would be to wear for a few days, and change just one thing see the results for a few days, then change the next thing and monitor.
The only thing is I can’t find numbers for periods between scans, ie, overnight. I can see what the number was at the time of each scan, but I kinda have to guess the number from reading the line on the graph. This is probably a PICNIC issue.

I will attach the graphs and results I can see on the app, but I’m not totally sure how to send them to diabetic nurse or similar.

3367AD80-122D-4514-94AE-4C8637241E9A.png This is the last 24 hour graph
A004F311-6FC0-4201-A002-E25E00BAE5C5.pngThis is log book of every scan
159A3C54-CB4B-4775-9DF6-B0AB0F145F09.pngThis is the daily trends graph
7B03632B-5EFB-46B1-935B-318A12A5895B.pngThis shows amount of time in each range
E969EEAA-22B7-491B-BDFA-4C0E5FC54E04.pngHypo chart and what times of day they are
6AE4F1DE-4EC2-4FD9-A39E-122E28AEAE0F.pngAverage level in each time zone
0A607F8E-7261-4419-AFCE-5B9DD9C83D4F.pngDaily 24 hour graph
B5FE680F-C025-4452-A3EF-15873B0652FC.pngEstimated hab1c
7C2BAFB3-5CD1-497D-968E-DB87E7779518.png How much you scan and how much data you collected.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Must back from the metropolis and meanwhile confirmed Bluster and Blunder has ascended the throne. Just want to laugh and cry.
@ianpspurs great fbg. @DJC3 we did drive up but the traffic was lighter than normal think lots away for start of school hols. Very glad to be back in the country though. @Fndwheelie good going hope your new reduced levels will soon facilitate the op. @Goacher55 hug for the hypo hope you are better now.
Stay cool everyone.

Glad you are back before the temperature really hots up in London. 35 this aft they reckon! Phew!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 iPhone 7 or newer is required, I’m still playing with my first sensor, so getting used to it. I’ve yet to decide if it will be a long term thing (self funding), or just 14 days snapshot measurements of my diabetes.as for untangling the webs of confusion, I kinda know what foods are bad, and seeing it on the libre does nail it home in my head a bit more. I’ve seen some bits that intrigue me, but I think since I started I’ve been changing lots of different things, so that could be skewing my results a bit, and confusing me about sugar levels. Maybe the way to do it would be to wear for a few days, and change just one thing see the results for a few days, then change the next thing and monitor.
The only thing is I can’t find numbers for periods between scans, ie, overnight. I can see what the number was at the time of each scan, but I kinda have to guess the number from reading the line on the graph. This is probably a PICNIC issue.

I will attach the graphs and results I can see on the app, but I’m not totally sure how to send them to diabetic nurse or similar.

Thank you, I have iPhone 6s I thought that was compatible, but if not, my decision is easier - not going to upgrade just to work with Libre.
It’s the period in between scans/ finger pricks which is interesting. @shelley262 and @Goonergal have both noticed that there are peaks and troughs - it isn’t linear.
I’ll be interested to look at your graphs though, thanks for the info.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, between scans it saves data every 15 minutes for up to 8 hours, and you can see that with a wiggly line over night/between scans, so there MUST be numbers for that time but I cant fathom out how to find them. I have to look at the wiggle and read the graph to estimate sugar levels and time of day. The logbook just holds every scan, not the info in between scans.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I have iPhone 6s I thought that was compatible, but if not, my decision is easier - not going to upgrade just to work with Libre.
It’s the period in between scans/ finger pricks which is interesting. @shelley262 and @Goonergal have both noticed that there are peaks and troughs - it isn’t linear.
I’ll be interested to look at your graphs though, thanks for the info.
Ok, so what do they do about the peaks or is that just another potential source of stress as in far from ideal but unchangeable? At what stage does all the data just tell one this is as good as it gets which I can actually see is very useful. That would probably be well worth knowing and make the cost and fuss worth it for me.

Last edited:

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs i guess the raw data is only as good as the person interpreting it, insulin adjustments can be made with the data, if I eat ABC it does DEF, I’ve seen this pattern a few times after eating ABC so I’m going to adjust insulin. Or at 3am my levels always rise at night maybe adjustment of insulin time or type is needed.
Personally I’m just finding it interesting scanning and watching it climb and fall. As a ‘just-received-a-kick-up-the-posterior’ type 2 with a hab1c of 80+ basic interpretation of the data combined with learning about foods on the forum is making me more aware of cause and effect. Some factors just complicate matters, liver dumps etc.and I’ve not looked into exercising as that’s not for me. But for those with darn near perfect diabetes management the cost of libre may not be worthwhile.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs i guess the raw data is only as good as the person interpreting it, insulin adjustments can be made with the data, if I eat ABC it does DEF, I’ve seen this pattern a few times after eating ABC so I’m going to adjust insulin. Or at 3am my levels always rise at night maybe adjustment of insulin time or type is needed.
Personally I’m just finding it interesting scanning and watching it climb and fall. As a ‘just-received-a-kick-up-the-posterior’ type 2 with a hab1c of 80+ basic interpretation of the data combined with learning about foods on the forum is making me more aware of cause and effect. Some factors just complicate matters, liver dumps etc.and I’ve not looked into exercising as that’s not for me. But for those with darn near perfect diabetes management the cost of libre may not be worthwhile.
I can see how the data is massively useful to you and other insulin users and wasn't for a second wondering how that group of people would benefit. I have very poor diabetes management but find LCHF hard to balance with my tastes and tendency to gout. Other people have different comorbidities and food dislikes which I assume mean there is a floor level to their control which the Libre may well help to determine. The interesting thing for me is if or when the level of bg control starts to negatively impact wellness or wellbeing for each person.

Last edited: