Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Reactions: Alison54321

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Nope don't think I have used them for over 30years or more now, these days I just lick the skin clean first, going through clothing, or just lift up shirt and inject even in hot countries where you are far from sparkling clean. :)

I use my thighs a lot, or my tummy and whilst I could lick my thighs I don't think I can manage to lick my tummy! However, I've survived and although I bruise I don't infect.

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just leave the zucchini to grow big and fat, really big and fat, and you’ve got a marrow. This one’s just a little bit bigger than most
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...ECAwQAQ&biw=1024&bih=698#imgrc=M6FuvdVffTP0cM

I think this is exactly the right thing to do with the marrow. Don't eat it, just post pictures of yourself on Instagram, or something, holding it. Then try and grow a bigger one. They could maybe be hollowed out, dried, and painted gold, as decorations.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just inject the *** ( n is missing for mod purposes :)) stuff. I’ve never considered taking any sterilising precautions in 28yrs of injecting. That includes injecting whilst working ( builders merchants, print factory) , training at gym and everywhere and anywhere else.

mod edit: And you still didn't get away with it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well daughter came home last night, she's had a fab long weekend and wouldn't stop talking all about it :joyful:, not great at 11 o'clock last night when she has to go to school today - I think one of the last schools to break up in our area.

4.4 before bed, 4.4 this morning :p (although I did have 3 glucotabs at 5am!) and was up early to take the dog for a walk before it got too hot - it was a lovely early morning walk in the mist which had pretty much well burnt off by the time we got home.

My thoughts about bugs and our (well ok mine) immune system is that it's over zealous (hence the T1) and therefore I deal with the bugs a lot better than T0s - seems theres a few of us that follow that principle!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Does anyone else have dried drops of blood on almost everything they own from finger pricking? I have a fabric phone cover - you could get my DNA from that thing without really trying! And my diabetes bag, my nightie, my hankies ...... and I do slurp the offending finger after doing the reading. I'm just a really heavy bleeder.

I have the finger pricker on 0.5 setting - the very lightest possible. I use an Accu-Chek Softclix Plus - anyone got one even softer?

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just a suggestion with the courgette / marrow.....I’m growing them too and often end up with more than we can eat so if I end up with a glut of them I cook them down in my slow cooker and then freeze in small trays.....very useful as a base mixture when I cook winter soups.....just add to the pot (frozen) with other vegetables and makes for a tasty vegetable soup :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps, bit of an early start for school holidays - must have slept enough yesterday. Rough night with my knee, getting bored with that now. Woke up on a 6.2, so happy enough with that.

@Delticmatt100 I use alcohol wipes when I put a new pod on, but that’s only because it’s an open hole for three days at a time, and is a bit bigger than a needle hole at around 0.7mm - I never used them for injections or anything.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think I read somewhere alcohol can lower the BG reading.
It does, by up to 0.5mmol - plus it can thicken and harden the skin after prolonged use. Not to mention it can really sting if it’s not dried off! In the ambo service, we use water - either a pad with a splash of tap water to clean the skin, or we carry little vials or sterile water in the BG test kits. I do have a little pack of “diawipes” in my kit, but I only use those if my hands are dirty/sticky and I don’t have anything to wash them with.

Reactions: karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Avocado growing is pretty horrendous on the environment - it takes a lot of water to grow one. Spanish ones aren’t so bad, but those they grow in the drier parts of the US are causing real issues. So if there’s a passable substitute that maybe doesn’t have so much impact...

Reactions: Fairygodmother

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hey guys do u use alcohol wipes before u inject? I haven't been but my parents think it be good idea to get them
Or does anyone here get on prescription?
No one has said so to me. I clean off my arm with the disinfectant wipes before attaching a CGM, but that's just so the skin is clean enough for the glue to stick and stay on for the full two weeks, rather than being concerned about germs. I'm going to follow Knikki's lead :) and not use them, as it's just one fewer thing to worry about.

Reactions: karen8967

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Avocado growing is pretty horrendous on the environment - it takes a lot of water to grow one. Spanish ones aren’t so bad, but those they grow in the drier parts of the US are causing real issues. So if there’s a passable substitute that maybe doesn’t have so much impact...
I have an avocado plant growing in my greenhouse at the moment....is about three foot tall grown from an avocado stone that germinated in my compost heap....not sure if it will ever bear fruit and probably won’t survive outside but pleased it has got so far:)

Reactions: WuTwo and hh1

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've just realised that I only inject 1/10 of a mL of insulin a day in total. That's nothing. My injections are 1/100 of a mL for 1 unit of insulin. Wow. It doesn't sound like a huge deal, like I've been thinking it is. I've also discovered injecting into my lower back (on the sides) is pain-free. My stomach and legs are too skinny and hurt. So, today, I'm visualising as a type 1, I just scratch my back 8 times a day with 1/100 of a mL of insulin. And it's no biggie.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Delticmatt100 I never use alcohol wipes before I inject. Like others here, been doing that for over 30 years and never even think about it; don't want to create more unnecessary waste either. I do use them before I stick on a Libre as I have trouble keeping them stuck on, so I want to be sure the area's as grease-free as poss.

On the marrow debate - I like courgettes, spiralized, griddled, sauteed, or grated and rendered down with butter & garlic. Marrows are too wet for any of those treatments (and too big to fit in most spiralizers) and in my opinion fundamentally tasteless. I think the best way to use them is as additional compost :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hmmmmm. Not eaten yet today and still had a spike mid morning. Might need to adjust basal if it happens tomorrow. Planning a nice quiet day avoiding the sun and possibly doing some laundry - knee still extremely painful, which is getting boring now.

Marrows. I have horrendous memories of my mum stuffing them with grey, bland mince and the results swimming across the plate... :yuck:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I love avocados! I eventually will plant one or two of my own in the back yard, we get lots of rain. Tropics! We supposedly grow over 200 different varieties of avocados on our islands. They grow all year round here of one variety or more. I'm in heaven!

Marrows aren't moving to the top of what to try lol.................

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else have dried drops of blood on almost everything they own from finger pricking? I have a fabric phone cover - you could get my DNA from that thing without really trying!
Only smears of it on the back of my left hand. I don't wash before testing but wipe off the first drop on my other hand, test, lick drop from finger, forget to lick the smear on my other hand half the time. I must be lucky with quickly closing wounds.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For everyone who had their fingers crossed I'd survive the tofu that had been left to marinate for 3 or 4 days, it still smelled, looked and tasted right yesterday and I made a very yummy Indonesian like meal with it :)
I also put in nori seaweed, which isn't in any exisisting recipes I suppose, but I read @WuTwo puts seaweed in her dishes sometimes so I thought to try :). I now know I love seaweed in my food! (and will probably put it in all sorts of inappropriate dishes for a while, as I'm like that when I discover something new :banghead:)
67282197_10218088484117965_8682564735788384256_n.jpg