Type 2 Help, my weight loss had gone too far

Aurelien_1009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Aurelien_1009
I am prediabetic (but blood sugar in normal range for 2 years) and have never been overweight. (My height and weight were very similar to yours at diagnosis)
When I switched to LCHF I also lost a lot of weight.
I started a food diary and for a period weighed what I ate. I did this initially to work out carbs, but when I was losing weight I also looked at the calories. I was surprised at the low the number of calories I was eating (about 1500 per day). I never felt hungry so my hunger was not a guide to my eating.

When I found this, I looked at foods that would increase my calories without increasing the carbs. These included tree nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans, brazils, hazelnuts are all relatively low carb and high calorie), salmon, other oily fish, cheese, double cream, eggs, olive oil, avocado etc.(I don't eat meat so that was not open to me).

I found that for me, with the type of food that I eat, I need to eat about 2500 Kcalories to keep a stable weight. If I eat about 3000 Kcalories I put on weight. If I eat about 2000 Kcalories I lose weight.

The only excercise I have done so far is a lot of walking. I managed to regain some weight and have now had a stable weight (+ or - 0.5kg for about 2 years). I weigh myself once a week.

Most people on this site do not find tracking calories to be helpful when trying to lose weight. However I found it helpful when trying to stop losing weight and to put some on.

Since you were diagnosed you appear to have started excercising much more (you say it is using 500Kcal) and eating less. You are probably not eating enough and will need to increase fats and protein. I would suggest taking a typical day, weigh your food and work out how many calories you are eating. You can then see how you can increase this

best of luck
(I don't know anything about vitamin supplements)

I look at MyFitnessPal after read your post, and noticed my problem because the number of calories I was eating very similar you said (about 1500 - 1800 per day). But after minus 400 -500Kcal for excercise so I still missing about 1000Kcal/ day to reach a stable weight (as I see in MyFitnessPal, I need 2440Kcal/ day).
Seem I understand why i'm loosing weight :)
Now I'll look at foods that would increase my calories without increasing the carbs.
Thank you so much for your advice...

Reactions: Redshank

Aurelien_1009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Aurelien - I have doubts whether your Vitamin D was tested, as a routine. Living in SE Asia, you will be exposed to plenty sunlight on an almost daily basis. In fact, in my experience of that part of the world, the Westerners are baring their skin to catch as much sun as possible, where the locals tend to be covering up to limit the rays they take.

When in the region in the winter, I had some bloods done (curiosity how I was doing on a different diet, with lost of eating out), and when selecting my bloods, I was tempted to have my Vit D tested, as I had paused a supplement for my travels (as I was one of those westerners with arms and legs out to the sun, but it was comparatively expensive (£62.50). I'm guessing because it is relatively rarely done?

I don't believe I was in the same country as you (this time around!), but could be similar rationale.
I think I didn't Vitamin D tested before. You right about the people here, the locals tend to be covering up to limit the rays they take. But I don't like that :) I like and walking on the sunlight everyday.
So you think I don't need vitamin supplements?
Regarding my ketosis, I had search and seem it's a nutritional ketosis. So i don't need worry about that right?

Reactions: HSSS