Blood Gloucose Home Test Kit

Saur

hi everyone;
For anyone concerned who have their annual checks and are curious to learn if they may have progressed to Diabetes, have you tried this test from Boots?
Is this test similar to the hB1ac test? Does it still show if you are in the normal or pre diabetic range?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean this one? https://www.boots.com/boots-blood-glucose-test-kit-10064613

This just indicates whether you have more glucose than usual, it isn't particularly exact and is nowhere NEAR as precise as a HbA1c. A HbA1c gives you an average of the past 3 months, and tells you exactly whether you are diabetic, pre diabetic or in the normal range. To me it sounds more like a waste of money, with just 2 strips. (At least they include plasters. Pha!) A proper meter would cost about as much and if used correctly, would tell you a lot more. It usually comes with 10 strips which would tell you what you need to know, about where your bloods are at. The cost is in the additonal strips though, and they only tell you how much glucose is in your blood right that moment. So you'd want to test before and after a meal (2 hours after the first bite, that is), and maybe get a fasting blood glucose measurement first thing in the morning. That'd tell you more than that kit would. And possibly give you some answers with just the strips that come with the meter.

Saur

Do you mean this one? https://www.boots.com/boots-blood-glucose-test-kit-10064613

This just indicates whether you have more glucose than usual, it isn't particularly exact and is nowhere NEAR as precise as a HbA1c. A HbA1c gives you an average of the past 3 months, and tells you exactly whether you are diabetic, pre diabetic or in the normal range. To me it sounds more like a waste of money, with just 2 strips. (At least they include plasters. Pha!) A proper meter would cost about as much and if used correctly, would tell you a lot more. It usually comes with 10 strips which would tell you what you need to know, about where your bloods are at. The cost is in the additonal strips though, and they only tell you how much glucose is in your blood right that moment. So you'd want to test before and after a meal (2 hours after the first bite, that is), and maybe get a fasting blood glucose measurement first thing in the morning. That'd tell you more than that kit would. And possibly give you some answers with just the strips that come with the meter.
The link you sent is correct. I was curious and just wanted to know if it was a test that could give a exact or precise reading of your current status without waiting for your HB1AC test.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The link you sent is correct. I was curious and just wanted to know if it was a test that could give a exact or precise reading of your current status without waiting for your HB1AC test.
Then the short answer is no.