Type 1.5 Shower

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

Quick question but how soon Before and after a shower (not a bath) should I inject my insulin?

Thanks

NC

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi Guys,

Quick question but how soon Before and after a shower (not a bath) should I inject my insulin?

Thanks

NC
I’ma bit confused @NaijaChick
Your profile says T2, header T1.5. And why injecting for a shower?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

As a T1, my injection time is completely independent of when I have a shower. I inject whenever I like (or need).

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Your profile page, states type 2 on oral meds, is this correct, also unsure what you mean by taking Insulin regarding showering.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I believe that my information is wrong. How do I change it? I’m Type 2 with insulin (Waiting for blood rest to see if Type 1.5). I have been told to eat with 90 minutes of waking up and I have been told not to inject insulin before a shower (fast acting, Humsulin S) so I want to know how long after a shower I have to wait. I basically want to work out a morning routine for injecting. I’m currently waking up at 6/6:30 and injecting around 11 when I get to work and then injecting for lunch at 1:30. I hope this has cleared it up.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Something like the blood vessels in the skin dilates from the hot water and causes insulin to be rapidly absorbed, I guess is what you mean.
Never tried it myself.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Some people when they take a shower it drops their blood glucose levels, some it increases, and some it doesn't matter, you'll have to test before and after to find out? I think most peoples drop, mine rises fast by quite a lot if I try to take a shower in the morning and rises less in the afternoon and evening.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You can update profile info by clicking on your avatar to the top left of the page, and then on your profile page in the drop down menu. You need to be on a browser, not the app, to do this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

Thanks

NC
Sorry I believe that my information is wrong. How do I change it? I’m Type 2 with insulin (Waiting for blood rest to see if Type 1.5). I have been told to eat with 90 minutes of waking up and I have been told not to inject insulin before a shower (fast acting, Humsulin S) so I want to know how long after a shower I have to wait. I basically want to work out a morning routine for injecting. I’m currently waking up at 6/6:30 and injecting around 11 when I get to work and then injecting for lunch at 1:30. I hope this has cleared it up.

Hi @NaijaChick ,

Your morning routine on waking.
Is your preference to shower, dress, "prepare" makeup routine. first prior to a breakfast.?
It's unclear what time you actually start work. (Including the commute time.)

Planning & testing BG is key. My suggestion is test on waking, then after the shower..?
I don't use Humulin s as a fast acting. I also do not know the time scale regarding your routine. (I can be showered & ready in 20 minutes.)
So, the timing of your Humulin to coincide with your breakfast is another factor to consider too..

From what I can gather, you were given a "health & safety" brief on fast acting insulin & increased sensitivity In a hotter climate sutch as a shower... It's true that BGs could drop unexpectedly..

However, the morning rush of prepping for work can trigger a liver dump increasing BG too?
It's up to the individual to find the right balance with the medication involved.. :)