What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All,

Yesterday was too hot for me.
And no dog walk because it was far too hot for wee beasties who run along with their faces just 6-9 inches off the ground.

Unfortunately these same beasties turn into caged tigers and pro wrestlers due to unleashed energy...

Will be too hot today, too...

No B
L: prawns in brinjal cream
D: thin (short) rib in a smoked paprika and cumin combo, with a dash of liquid smoke. :)

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 and @SlimLizzy electrolytes are just the right mix for body of sodium, potassium and magnesium - marketed for sports pros to take before and after exercise to rehydrate and prevent cramps. On keto and in the heat it’s easy to dehydrate and especially if hot which is when I seem to be particularly vulnerable to leg cramps at night. I normally add Himalayan pink salt to meals and take a mix of magnesium and potassium to stop the leg cramps and works most of time but giving this ready mix capsule a go and does seem to work at mo.
Edit to add
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OU7YXU2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@ianpspurs these are ones use I can’t abide sweet drinks even if no sugar in them so gone for capsules.
@Brunneria it is difficult with dogs in hot weather isn’t it? Went on very early am walk and will do late again as it cools down but think we are not quite as hot in the west of uk as the south east. It’s cloudy here first thing. @gennepher and @maglil55 hope you’re recovering from your falls.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria it is difficult with dogs in hot weather isn’t it? Went on very early am walk and will do late again as it cools down but think we are not quite as hot in the west of uk as the south east. It’s cloudy here first thing.

We were chatting at puppy class, and all the people with water loving dogs (labs and retrievers, and spaniels) were all discussing how much their dogs love kiddie paddling pools. One said that her dog will spend hours in theirs, rather like a human might lounge in a hot tub. haha!

Wouldn't work for my wimpish crew though. They pick their way around puddles and run under shrubs to widdle if it is raining. :D More like cats than dogs, sometimes.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We were chatting at puppy class, and all the people with water loving dogs (labs and retrievers, and spaniels) were all discussing how much their dogs love kiddie paddling pools. One said that her dog will spend hours in theirs, rather like a human might lounge in a hot tub. haha!

Wouldn't work for my wimpish crew though. They pick their way around puddles and run under shrubs to widdle if it is raining. :D More like cats than dogs, sometimes.

Yes I’ve heard people use paddling pools for water dogs. None of ours have been that way inclined either though. Dennis at least is sensible enough to choose a shady spot if we are outside in sunny weather - our old terrier Tilly used to sunbathe - always the sunny spot on the carpet and in full sun outside, used to make me feel so uncomfortable seeing her in her dark furry coat soaking up the rays. We had to keep her on a lead in the shade if we were sitting in the garden on warm days, otherwise she’d head off to the hottest part of the lawn.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs and @shelley262 thanks for the info about electrolytes. Haven’t needed them yet but it’s good to know.
I tend to use them during and after exercise bike sessions or after walking/lawn mowing in warm weather. Not usually a drinker of water otherwise or a big fan of ice bath type methods. Also seems a means to deal with minerals I wouldn't get from the foods I can accept. Also looks as though at least for now I need a vit C supplement. Any links to LC ones would be helpful. TIA
Update: Or according to this I just get gout instead https://nutrita.app/article/vitamin-c-on-keto:banghead:

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Day 10. How not do do LCHF! Today confirmed my theory about what happens if I do not have protein at breakfast time.
B. Slice of HiLo toast with butter and vegemite.
Went to central London to take part in research about this forum and mistimed lunch as a result. Ended up overly hungry. Found a nice cafe in John Lewis with an excellent salad bar. Except for a scattering of chickpeas the salads were virtually carb and protein free s.o.o. had a red pepper scone as well. Walked for an hour despite the heat.
Snack. Diet ginger beer with lots of fresh lime, cheese, raw almonds, but then about 10 small buttered crackers as well!
D. Gravadlax, tomatoes, small portion of bean salad.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I tend to use them during and after exercise bike sessions or after walking/lawn mowing in warm weather. Not usually a drinker of water otherwise or a big fan of ice bath type methods. Also seems a means to deal with minerals I wouldn't get from the foods I can accept. Also looks as though at lest for now I need a vit C supplement. Any links to LC ones would be helpful. TIA
Update: Or according to this I just get gout instead https://nutrita.app/article/vitamin-c-on-keto:banghead:
What an interesting article! If true, this would go someway to explaining the Inuit paradox. i.e. why on a traditional diet very high in meat and fat and little plant material Inuits do not suffer from scurvy.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
0469B8C3-F7C4-405E-B414-827F13338E34.jpeg @DJC3 and @Brunneria cooper chases the water he loves it !

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod - guess I know what will replace my Tefal air fryer when it finally dies?
(It will probably take that long to appear here - just out in the US)

http://dish.allrecipes.com/instant-....com&utm_content=20190723&utm_campaign=438590

Maglil - Whilst mine isn't IP brand, that's almost identical to mine, so I can do multiple things at the same time, provided I think through where anything that drips might go.

I have to say, they recommend the rotating basket for fries/chips, but we don't use it. We prefer the shelves. I've not yet tried the rotisserie, although we keep meaning to.

We're going through an experimental phase at the moment. Oooer.

Reactions: maglil55

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Mixed nuts and bits dark chocolate

Fried mince and a couple eggs

Pork scratchings

Corned beef (only because I forgot to take the packet of corned beef out of the shopping bag yesterday and found it this morning after I had eaten the pork scratchings. My floors are cold stone, so it was on a cold stone floor all night, despite the high temperatures. So I thought it was best to eat it today)
Frozen berries and cream

I am stuffed, even still at 3pm. Eaten more than I normally eat.

That’s it. Finished eating by just after midday

To drink:
Water
Tea
Black coffee

>^..^<

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wouldn't work for my wimpish crew though. They pick their way around puddles and run under shrubs to widdle if it is raining. :D .
I'm loving your puppy tales - I think I've nearly reached the age now when I may be too old to have another pup after my current two "lads" die.:(:(:(

Going a bit further off topic I had one dog (who I called my "daft as three short planks boy") - he didn't care one bit for having to go out in the rain to wee either, and if was raining when he looked through their doggy door at the back he would run to the front door for me to let him out there in the belief it wouldn't actually be raining on that side of the house! o_O

And this was a little dog who absolutely loved dousing himself in puddles, ponds, streams and the sea - he'd pootle around often up to his neck in the water, but never ever swam...

And so i won't get my fingers smacked - after a very late supper of low carb Finn crispbread with chicken paté, butter and black olives followed by afters of a mix of cream cheese, cocoa powder and erythritol with diced roasted almonds, I've not had anything more than lemon flavoured water, and a breakfast a mug of "cheat" mocha and cream so far today...(FBG was a surprising 5.2 after being mid sixes and sevens for ages.)

Robbity

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Catching up again.

@maglil55 sorry to hear about your fall. Take care.

@PenguinMum can the 11 men not iron their own shirts? ;)

@DJC3 the photo shoot with Dennis sounds fun. I also had my photo shoot with the Sun yesterday evening. They had me clad in sports gear walking and jogging around the place. Wasn’t expecting a workout.

Day 1 of being back on the straight and narrow (yesterday) went pear shaped. Ate packed lunch for breakfast as ravenous - smoked salmon and whipped creamy cheese.

Lunch was bacon and eggs and a 25g bag of almonds.

Dinner was pork gyro meat at a new Greek takeaway near home, with a small portion of tzaziki and a tiny bit of onion. Then felt compelled to eat some double cream and 85% chocolate and a bag of Whisps.

Bit better food wise today - appetite a bit suppressed due to a cold (came home from work early feeling shattered).

Lunch was a bag of Wildings Lamb Crackling (mint flavour) bought at Real Food rocks, a small bag of salted almonds and dessert of 30g of 90% chocolate from the US with extra thick double cream.

Dinner was slow cooked beef short rib. First one in a while and it didn’t disappoint.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Breakfast: Two coffees with cream. An improvement on yesterday's three.
Lunch: Mary Berry's recipe for Venison Shepard's Pie with a cheese topping rather than potato. 2 GG Scandinavian crispbreads with marmite and cheese. Plain yoghurt, blueberries, raspberries, flaxseeds, dark chocolate. A glass of red wine.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Largely same old same old menu but I'll live with it until problems arise. B = tea and several pints of it - at least 6 but whose counting? NE1 was flaxseed and php cracker(s) and 3 egg mayo (h/m) really miss our eggs. Also some piccolo tomatoes and cucumber. Felt it prudent to drink water and electrolytes - very unusual for me. NE2 was cheese and avocado salad - how small is 80 gms cheese - we do have plenty more but if I get hungry?