Type 1 Medical Alert ID

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Just a question to ask what are others thoughts on medical alert id bracelets/necklaces/bands. Are they necessary? All my family and work colleagues are aware of my t1 but i often wonder if an id is needed if i am on my own. I always have my kit with me and a card in my bag saying what insulin i take but wonder if thats enough.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @winelover

It's personal preference really, I personally choose not to wear an alert ID for a few reasons, personally am not a fan of advertising my condition by wearing one, I am pretty well controlled and no medical assistance in the past 7-8 years since diagnosis, I have never seen any piece of jewellery I would like to wear and i'm not entirely convinced a medic would take much notice of it if I did find myself needing assistance, as long as those who are around you are all fully aware they can discuss this with your care team if the event ever happened.

Don't be swayed by me though it's down to you to decide.

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks. I, too, haven't found anything i like. Although work colleagues know about the t1, they are the ones usually asking me about why i'm not wearing anything and i start to doubt myself. I know everyone means well though. So far i've been well controlled so i will leave it for now. Thanks for the reply

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I've just looked at the thread. I'd forgot that i had it on the lock screen of my phone as well.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In the gym or swimming I wear a 'rubber' band saying I'm an 'Insulin Dependent Diabetic' as the people around me wouldn't know what to do if I went hypo. I don't care if anyone knows I have diabetes and I'd rather people know that I'm probably hypo rather than having a heart attack etc

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have one. As far as I know, should I ever be found unconscious, the first thing the ambulance people do is checking if I have a heartbeat, am breathing and not bleeding to death, the second is checking bg. That seems enough to me.
My opinion could change if I ever happen to have a diabetic emergency where I'm not able to talk.

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. Good idea about the rubber band when swimming or at the gym. Those are more likely to be places i'll be on my own lol