Weight won't stabilize after coming off the Keto diet

Top-Nep

I’m posting on behalf of Girlfriend who has asked for some help.

She has recently come off the keto diet (lost 87 pounds over 9 months). Towards the end of the diet she was only eating one meal a day and had no energy. Now she’s off it, her metabolism is struggling to recover and she is gaining over a pound a day despite trying hard

Current routine:

First thing in the morning she exercises on a treadmill for 45-50 minutes losing about a pound each day

She’s only eating around 800 calories per day over 3 meals and only eats between 8:30-3:30. The meals are balanced and there is nothing particularly unhealthy there

Can anyone thing of any changes that will help stabilize her weight and increase her calorie intake?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Is she diabetic?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How long has she been restricting herself to 800 calories a day? This type of diet is intended to be a quick fix and should only be followed for a short time - usually 8 weeks. It is a near starvation diet and of course will cause the metabolism to slow down.

What type of diabetes does she have, which meds does she take for diabetes, does she have her own blood glucose meter, what was her last HbA1c test result?

Top-Nep

Diabetes stuff:
She type 2 diabetes, takes metformin 1000 mg twice daily, farxiga, and victoza
She doesn't have a blood glucose meter but her last A1c test was 4.7

Yeah, the low calories is what's messed up her metabolism. Is there any way she can fix it without gaining lots of weight?

Her body is in 'starvation mode'

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How about you ask her to join the forum so she can clarify her status, type of diabetes, treatment and confirm what you say regarding diet and happiness or otherwise with weight.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about you ask her to join the forum
I second this. I understand you want to help and you are looking for information, science, advice but in many ways talking through what's happening to "you" (in this case your girlfriend talking about herself), what's happened and working it out for herself is, in the end, the better route. Doesn't mean you shouldn't take an interest but encouraging her to find resources to help herself is the best kind of support you can give (just my belief). Could you read through the forum together, discuss what you read etc. You found this forum I guess and decided it was a "good place" she might conclude that too.

Miniblini

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi, I am the girlfriend my Boyfriend is talking about. Do you have any questions for me? I am currently in starvation mode, but I am trying to get out of it without having to gain too much weight back. So far I am gaining over a pound a day by increasing my calories by 100.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She should come join us to discuss to have a chat. In the mean time if you look around there’s information on affordable meters and we all recommend buying a blood glucose meter. Her hba1c is good but it doesn’t show where she is running high or how to improve.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am the girlfriend my Boyfriend is talking about.
oh dear this made me laugh! hello :)
I'm way too new to feel qualified to advise but lovely people will be by shortly, and quite possibly someone who has experienced something similar <waves hello>

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi, I am the girlfriend my Boyfriend is talking about. Do you have any questions for me? I am currently in starvation mode, but I am trying to get out of it without having to gain too much weight back. So far I am gaining over a pound a day by increasing my calories by 100.
Great, can you fill in your profile page with medication and type please and confirm what you have been doing?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
On those medications but have not been prescribed a meter?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What did you change in your diet? What were the reasons for starting and then stopping keto?

Miniblini

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
What did you change in your diet? What were the reasons for starting and then stopping keto?
I really messed up the last two months of dieting. I went from losing 2-3 pounds a week to losing up to 10 pounds a week. my weight loss goal was to lose 87 pounds. My reasons for starting the diet was to lose weight, and then I stopped, because I realized I wasn't happy on it anymore, and I reached my weightloss goal.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So you have been on a calorie restricted and carb restricted (Keto) diet for 9 months and now you're feeling poorly?

Miniblini

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
So you have been on a calorie restricted and carb restricted (Keto) diet for 9 months and now you're feeling poorly?
I was on a carb restricted diet, but I don't feel poorly, I just want to be able to eat normal amounts of food again.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I suggest you replace your meter, you are on a med that can cause hypos.

Boyfriend said 800 cals, that is restricted. Keto was mentioned, that is restricted. To do both at the same time is unwise imo.
You must have been so very hungry for those nine months.