Type 2 Hot weather

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Sorry if I’ve asked this before but just need reminder.
I know hot weather can increase sugars but isn’t it true that it reduces insulin resistance as well so insulin starts to work better?
Not sure where I’ve got that from so could be wrong.

Yesterday dropped to 4.6 despite everything being exactly the same as any other day. Only thing different I can work out is the weather being hotter

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I know hot weather can increase sugars but isn’t it true that it reduces insulin resistance as well so insulin starts to work better?

Yesterday dropped to 4.6 despite everything being exactly the same as any other day. Only thing different I can work out is the weather being hotter

For myself, yes, I inject less insulin during the summer months.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

I’m
Type 2 but wondering if the same is true of body’s natural insulin.
I don't know, but I do know my bloodsugars ping-pong all over the place. Unmedicated T2's shouldn't have hypo's, but when the weather's insane (The Netherlands' got a heat wave right now, it's going to be upper-30's and might even hit 40 this week), it still happens. So while I don't have a proper answer, I can tell you I keep carbs around to get my numbers back up if need be.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

For some, they find they run higher, and others are less insulin resistent. It's best to monitor closely.

Do stay hydrated as dehydration is a risk in heat, but particularly with the medication I think I recall you might be taking. Dehydration is extremely unpleasant and can be dangerous.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
For some, they find they run higher, and others are less insulin resistent. It's best to monitor closely.

Do stay hydrated as dehydration is a risk in heat, but particularly with the medication I think I recall you might be taking. Dehydration is extremely unpleasant and can be dangerous.

I ask because yesterday I hit 4.6 only 3.5 hours after eating (which is very unusual ) and because I was stupid didn’t have money on me only in car and couldn’t work out to go to car lol, so ended up having wine gums twice. Just to get me up. I’d eaten all my food to get up from 4.6.

Just seemed like my insulin was working better. More prepared and forewarned today so will keep an eye out
Yep still dehydrated. Pee is dark!! Can’t seem to get it lighters

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ask because yesterday I hit 4.6 only 3.5 hours after eating (which is very unusual ) and because I was stupid didn’t have money on me only in car and couldn’t work out to go to car lol, so ended up having wine gums twice. Just to get me up. I’d eaten all my food to get up from 4.6.

Just seemed like my insulin was working better. More prepared and forewarned today so will keep an eye out
Yep still dehydrated. Pee is dark!! Can’t seem to get it lighters

You need to drink more to dilute your wee, if your kidney function is OK.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You need to drink more to dilute your wee, if your kidney function is OK.

Problem is o can’t get to toilet often enough to drink more. It’s better now. Slightly yellow but not dark but feeling tired and off all day so definitely dehydrated, and eating more and the wrong things which isn’t helping.

It’s a viscous circle. My sugars are lower seemingly in this hot weather so I’m eating so I’m safe but can’t drink enough because of the job which means I’m feeling iffy and eating thinking I might be lowish when I’m not!!

Had dark chocolate today and that’s usually very rare.

Used to love the hot weather but I’m struggling to read the body signs it’s giving me!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

I'm sorry that the warmer weather is causing you some grief. I love being in the 4's. I feel energised and on top of the world. 4.6 is what Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution says what we should be aiming for. Do you always eat increase your blood sugars when in the 4's as you're not on sulphonylureas or insulin?