What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, everyone! FINALLY we have our wifi back and I have Internet access again!

FBG 6.4 on this morning of light rain. I got my lab results back from last Wednesday's doctor's appointment. A1C is 5.9 (which I think translates to 41?). That is down 1 decimal point from April's A1C, and is the result of 3 months of NOT doing LCHF. I did gain about 4 pounds, but that means I have kept off 20 of the 25 I lost last year. It also means I indulged far too often in "good" foods that are not actually good for me, so if I can ever discipline myself I hope I can lose the 4 gained, as well as another 20.

LDL cholesterol is down 92 points from 3 months ago. It is is now 124, which is still high but is within an "acceptable" range. This is after 3 months on a statin and after giving up high-fat foods and replacing them with low-fat or no-fat foods, e.g.,

Giving up heavy cream in coffee and switching to very-low-fat creamer
Giving up butter
Giving up eggs
Cutting way back on red meat and pork.
Replacing bacon/sausage at breakfast with oatmeal or oat cereal or (mostly) oat-grain toast with peanut butter.
Eating more pears and apples than berries because the berries are usually sour.

So-- all my numbers except weight are down, and I would rather see a gain of 4 pounds (1.8 kg) with a lowering of other numbers, than a rise in the other numbers.

Happy happy. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, everyone! FINALLY we have our wifi back and I have Internet access again!

FBG 6.4 on this morning of light rain. I got my lab results back from last Wednesday's doctor's appointment. A1C is 5.9 (which I think translates to 41?). That is down 1 decimal point from April's A1C, and is the result of 3 months of NOT doing LCHF. I did gain about 4 pounds, but that means I have kept off 20 of the 25 I lost last year. It also means I indulged far too often in "good" foods that are not actually good for me, so if I can ever discipline myself I hope I can lose the 4 gained, as well as another 20.

LDL cholesterol is down 92 points from 3 months ago. It is is now 124, which is still high but is within an "acceptable" range. This is after 3 months on a statin and after giving up high-fat foods and replacing them with low-fat or no-fat foods, e.g.,

Giving up heavy cream in coffee and switching to very-low-fat creamer
Giving up butter
Giving up eggs
Cutting way back on red meat and pork.
Replacing bacon/sausage at breakfast with oatmeal or oat cereal or (mostly) oat-grain toast with peanut butter.
Eating more pears and apples than berries because the berries are usually sour.

So-- all my numbers except weight are down, and I would rather see a gain of 4 pounds (1.8 kg) with a lowering of other numbers, than a rise in the other numbers.

Happy happy. :)
Congratulations on amazing lab results and finding your way to a really good place in all round health with lots of hard work and doubtless some stress. Delighted for you. Do whatever it is cat lovers do to celebrate with their very important others.:):)

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @SaskiaKC that is just fantastic and I dont mean getting your wifi back, though that is also. You must be so pleased with those results. Just goes to show what can be achieved individually if we put the effort in like you did. Hope you and the KC do celebrate! It is scorching here and D and B are really drowsy. I put two ice cubes in their water bowl earlier and they had a splash about with their paws as it was an unknown object and then they licked the cool water off their paws. It was funny to see.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on amazing lab results and finding your way to a really good place in all round health with lots of hard work and doubtless some stress. Delighted for you. Do whatever it is cat lovers do to celebrate with their very important others.:):)

Thank you, @ianpspurs . Big hug.

Now I am off to join the KittenCat in a celebration -- throwing treats for her to pounce on and then taking a cat nap! ^. .^ :D

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @SaskiaKC that is just fantastic and I dont mean getting your wifi back, though that is also. You must be so pleased with those results. Just goes to show what can be achieved individually if we put the effort in like you did. Hope you and the KC do celebrate! It is scorching here and D and B are really drowsy. I put two ice cubes in their water bowl earlier and they had a splash about with their paws as it was an unknown object and then they licked the cool water off their paws. It was funny to see.

Like @ianpspurs a few posts back up the thread, I wish I had a combo emoji to indicate a friendly-funny-hug response. Thank you. :) I wish I could have seen your girlcats playing with the ice cubes -- I love watching kitties play with new "toys."

Someone accidentally set their kitchen on fire a few floors down last Friday and the sprinkler system took out the landline phone and wifi system. I am glad I live above them in a different wing because the corridor carpets were all soaked for several floors below theirs. Over-compensation, but I'm glad to know the sprinkler system works so well. Like some friends of mine who had a small house fire, the water did more damage than the fire. Oh, well, all is nice and dry up here in the eyrie.

A friend who lives down the street was talking up her apartment building, and I was thinking, not for the first time, that I might apply for an apartment there. They have a committee of tenants who take turns feeding their feral cat family; we have to sneak food to our unofficial family in our garden. I'd thought of applying there in the past but it's just far enough from the shopping center that I couldn't walk to the grocery store or the post office. But I wouldn't be able to do that in the little town either -- maybe walk down the hill to the store but not up the hill home again.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s the period in between scans/ finger pricks which is interesting. @shelley262 and @Goonergal have both noticed that there are peaks and troughs - it isn’t linear.

Thanks for the tag @DJC3

@Fndwheelie I’ve used the Libre a few times recently. Really just out of interest - I’m a diet controlled type 2 with no meds so hypos are not an issue, but I was keen to understand a bit more about my BG patterns.

As @DJC3 says it has been very informative revealing some lows (mainly in the night, but also post-prandial) and more importantly for me, some highs. I’ve known for a while that my post prandial high point is well past the hour mark but a few foods that I tried as an experiment (some high % cocoa (82) ice cream, for example) while on holiday had spikes at the 3 or 3.5 hour mark. Had I been relying on finger pricks I might have thought that the rises, while higher than ideal, were acceptable for a treat. Sadly the Libre showed very steep rises (6mmols+) with equally steep drops shortly after.

Even while fasting when finger pricks might lead me to assume that BG is on a one way, downward trajectory, there is quite a bit of fluctuation, albeit in a narrow band. @ianpspurs nothing to be done about the latter, but does go some way to explaining the disparity between my finger prick testing and comparatively higher HbA1c results. Plenty that can be done about the former :D

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 this morning after another migraine free night. Off to the docs tomorrow morning to see what the scan showed and to see what preventative meds are on offer.
Just had the paddling pool out in the shade for the dogs but neither of them wanted to be in it they both preferred to lie on the yard in the sun and pant!!
Keep cool

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plenty that can be done about the former :D
I have no idea what that even means but I assume you are clear and happy for you. Do you mean the treats? Treat and LCHF do not really belong together for me. Not sure quite what I would eat if I found those few meals I can stand gave a spike at 3-3.5 hrs.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 this morning after another migraine free night. Off to the docs tomorrow morning to see what the scan showed and to see what preventative meds are on offer.
Just had the paddling pool out in the shade for the dogs but neither of them wanted to be in it they both preferred to lie on the yard in the sun and pant!!
Keep cool
Great FBG with no migraine is triumphant. Hope the Dr goes well tomo.

Reactions: gennepher

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to post BP numbers which were 105/68 -- seems very low to me but doc didn't seem worried and it is a nice change from worrying when it was averaging about 150/90.
That BP is really good I would be very happy with it personally. Re your possible move what is it that is driving you to leave where you are now? You would undoubtedly have your friend there and lots of new furry friends but is it possible to manage further away from the store and post office? Of course only you can know that. Best wishes as always.

Viv19

Thanks for the tag @DJC3

@Fndwheelie I’ve used the Libre a few times recently. Really just out of interest - I’m a diet controlled type 2 with no meds so hypos are not an issue, but I was keen to understand a bit more about my BG patterns.

As @DJC3 says it has been very informative revealing some lows (mainly in the night, but also post-prandial) and more importantly for me, some highs. I’ve known for a while that my post prandial high point is well past the hour mark but a few foods that I tried as an experiment (some high % cocoa (82) ice cream, for example) while on holiday had spikes at the 3 or 3.5 hour mark. Had I been relying on finger pricks I might have thought that the rises, while higher than ideal, were acceptable for a treat. Sadly the Libre showed very steep rises (6mmols+) with equally steep drops shortly after.

Even while fasting when finger pricks might lead me to assume that BG is on a one way, downward trajectory, there is quite a bit of fluctuation, albeit in a narrow band. @ianpspurs nothing to be done about the latter, but does go some way to explaining the disparity between my finger prick testing and comparatively higher HbA1c results. Plenty that can be done about the former :D

Do those highs and lows happen with non diabetics? Just wondering whether that’s a normal metabolic happening.

Viv19

Keep cool

Good news Bildad. Migraine must be a particularly evil condition.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so what do they do about the peaks or is that just another potential source of stress as in far from ideal but unchangeable? At what stage does all the data just tell one this is as good as it gets which I can actually see is very useful. That would probably be well worth knowing and make the cost and fuss worth it for me.

I see @Goonergal has replied so will leave it her capable hands.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so what do they do about the peaks or is that just another potential source of stress as in far from ideal but unchangeable? At what stage does all the data just tell one this is as good as it gets which I can actually see is very useful. That would probably be well worth knowing and make the cost and fuss worth it for me.

I see @Goonergal has replied (thank you) so I will happily leave it in her capable hands.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That BP is really good I would be very happy with it personally. Re your possible move what is it that is driving you to leave where you are now? You would undoubtedly have your friend there and lots of new furry friends but is it possible to manage further away from the store and post office? Of course only you can know that. Best wishes as always.

Thank you.
I guess what is driving me is the desire for the countryside. Living in the city there are no open green spaces. No quiet places to walk. No earth underfoot. Just glass and steel and pavement everywhere shutting you in.
There is the convenience of Uber and Lyft and cabs and buses, but nowhere to go in them. And some places I 'need' to are so far away, and there is so much traffic. There is nothing fun to do in a city and no one to do it with.
My friend down the street says her building has much more community spirit than this place and they also have a much bigger garden.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
I guess what is driving me is the desire for the countryside. Living in the city there are no open green spaces. No quiet places to walk. No earth underfoot. Just glass and steel and pavement everywhere shutting you in.
There is the convenience of Uber and Lyft and cabs and buses, but nowhere to go in them. And some places I 'need' to are so far away, and there is so much traffic. There is nothing fun to do in a city and no one to do it with.
My friend down the street says her building has much more community spirit than this place and they also have a much bigger garden.
Yes I do understand it when you explain it like that. Parallel we went up to London early today for a meeting but were so happy to get back to our green quiet area after. I do think you have options.

Viv19

It’s already very warm. The back of the house faces south and the doors from the dining room and the door from the unnamed room are fully open. It’s already very warm.

The wonder wheel of waiting for the decorators to arrive and the anticipation of smelly gloss paint spouted forth a sterling 4.8 this morning.

My wonder wheel to the great god Libra will be working hard for the next few days. Lots of fluids today and taking care not to get sun burned. I will be digging out my best long sleeved Laura Ashley and a big floppy hat, or perhaps a parasol- got to love a parasol.

Have a great day if you can. Keep cool.

Sartorial elegance dunelm. The mental picture is a good one. The hat is the clincher.

Last edited: