Prediabetes Can I eat any bread at all, I’m prediabetic

smooch

I’m newly diagnosed as prediabetic & haven’t seen the nurse yet. I want to know if I can eat any type of bread & can I eat butter

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m newly diagnosed as prediabetic & haven’t seen the nurse yet. I want to know if I can eat any type of bread & can I eat butter
Hi @smooch,

I'm guessing you don't know what your HbA1c was, as you haven't seen the nurse yet? Be sure to always ask for your exact test results, not just for your bloodsugars, but all of them. It's all related, as you need to know where you're coming from to know where you're going.

For me, I'm a T2. I was prediabetic for quite some time, but the doc who found that out never bothered to mention it. If I'd known, I would've known what the problem was and tackled it then and there. So, if I'd been lucky enough to have been in your shoes, I would've steered clear of bread, period. Though from what I understand there's low carb bread available in the UK (I'm in the Netherlands, but I think it's called LivLife), personally i would just go without. But that's up to you. Actually, deciding what works for you is a lot easier if you'd get yourself a meter. Check before a meal and 2 hours after. if it goes up more than 2.0 mmol/l, then the meal was carbier than you could process. See, it's not just a bread thing, it's all carbs, practically... So pasta, rice, corn, cereal, potatoes, all of that. White or brown doesn't matter, a carb's a carb and they will impact bloodsugars. Anyway, check this out, maybe it'll help: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ As well as dietdoctor.com and Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code.

You're pre-diabetic. You can still turn this thing around. just keep in mind that the moment you start eating carbs again, you're back on the road to T2. This is a life changing thing. But it doesn't have to be a bad one.

Good luck!
Jo

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't eat bread without a dramatic rise in blood sugar. Looking at a bag of flour in the kitchen I see that it's 76% carbs. which is not exactly LC. Few T2's can handle bread. As mentioned above there are lower carb versions of bread like Burgen etc. which are easier to tolerate but still not an answer to the problem.

How about not eating bread until after you have seen your nurse and got your Hba1c result.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Low carb bread

2tbsps almond flour

1tbsp psyllium husk powder

1tsp baking powder

Seasoning to taste

2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in whatever container you want the bread to be the shape of - it rises quite a bit.

Break eggs into the tub and mix thoroughly into a good batter.

Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes.

Slice, toast, treat like normal bread.

5g carbs

17g fat

16g protein

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a low carb bread available at Asda - protein bread, looks like a brow brick, or Livlife which I can get from Waitrose, both are 4 gm of carbs a slice , but the Livlife is less dense.
A couple of slices a day is probably going to be OK, but I'd wait until you get back to normal numbers before trialing it.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Livlife is really lovely bread. Very seedy. I made my son and husband a chicken, salad and mayo sandwich yesterday and they both said it tasted exactly like an M&S chicken salad sandwich! They don’t have a lot of bread so livlife is all I buy now.

I can only tolerate a very small amount myself though

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like Flora123 I use Livlife. I only eat 3 slices and not every day but that suits me. It toasts well too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No-one has mentioned butter! Surprising because you can eat as much as you like. It is best to avoid butter substitutes such as low fat spreads, margerines, plastic pretend butter etc.these are mostly chemicals and processed seed/vegetable oils which are not good for anyone.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @smooch welcome to the forum. Yes you can eat bread however, we are all different and what some people can eat others can’t. Your best bet would be to get a blood glucose meter (@Rachox and @Bluetit1802 both have information about various meters) so that you see what effect the bread has on your blood sugars. I eat the high protein bread from Tesco which is lower carb than some breads. Butter is good!!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Daphne917

Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found itto be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is best not to base meals on bread, likewise advoid cereals for breakfast. I don't eat any bread at home. But may have a little at a nice French restaurant we go to a few times a year as they make very nice fresh bread.

D

Deleted member 308541

. I want to know if I can eat any type of bread & can I eat butter
I eat a lower carb bread from Herman Btot, which has five grams of carbs in two slices. I also spread butter on the bread.

As you have not filled your profile in, so I do not know what type of a diabetic you are apart from prediabetic, I am posting as a T2 and it is safe for my bgl as I tested a fair bit when I first stared to eat bread again.

rWrvyIF.png

ODWe0wK.png

2uAvWSz.jpg

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't often have bread but when I do it's the Morrisons own brand protein bread. Have also tried the Hovis lower carb one but that aggravates my IBS. I do make the Diet Doctor mug bread though now and again - I enjoy that toasted.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a low carb bread available at Asda - protein bread, looks like a brow brick, /QUOTE]
My Asda doesn't sell that Protein bread anymore and I am gutted. Please tell me if yours still does.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat LivLife from Waitrose as my Sainsbury doesn't sell HiLo bread any more.
I have been making 90 second bread. 30 g ground almonds (or any ground nuts) 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, salt , 1 egg, 1 scant tablespoon of olive oil. Mix dry ingredients in a very small microwave dish, beat the egg and oil in. Microwave for 90 seconds. Tip it out of the dish when you can and let it cool. Slice in 2 and toast!! I have been adding chia seeds to it as well. Very filling. 1/2 may be enough.

Reactions: DJC3

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a lower carb bread from Herman Btot, which has five grams of carbs in two slices. I also spread butter on the bread.
Do I take it you live in Australia as I have never seen this in UK BooHoo

D

Deleted member 308541

Do I take it you live in Australia as I have never seen this in UK BooHoo
Yes it's in my profile where I live, it's more than I can say for the OP @smooch profile, so I post what is available here just in case he / she is from Australia.

I do not understand what BooHoo is... :***:

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
As mentioned already, we all react differently to different foods and we need to test to find out our individual bg changes after different foods. This means testing before and, preferably, one and two hours after each meal.If you can get a constant glucose monitor (CGM) do that. They are expensive but I have found this method of testing invaluable and almost painless.
I do eat bread. Nearly always whole wheat, maybe one slice every 2 or 3 weeks and usually fried with eggs and bacon for breakfast, this is about 15 gms of carbs. With the CGM I can check my bg level before cooking to make sure it is not too high. I can get a big increase in the level early in the morning and when this happens I can keep away from many carbs. 4 slices of bacon and 3 eggs is only 3 gms of carbs and has little affect on my bg level. Find out what works best for you in eating and testing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
......... 4 slices of bacon and 3 eggs is only 3 gms of carbs and has little affect on my bg level. Find out what works best for you in eating and testing.

Where do you get the information that your bacon and eggs contain 3g carbs please? I never count carbs for bacon or eggs.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Google says an egg has 0.6g of carbs, most (I expect all) meat has a very low level of carbs due to the glycogen that was in the muscles.