Weight won't stabilize after coming off the Keto diet

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on the keto diet. two months before ending it, I went crazy and started starving myself. now I am in starvation mode, and am gaining a ton of weight. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to stop such rapid weight gain.

Why were you on keto?

Why did you stop?

Why are you starving yourself?

Reactions: Christina.H

Miniblini

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Why were you on keto?

Why did you stop?

Why are you starving yourself?
I was on keto to lose weight and to lower my A1C. I stopped because I lost all the weight I wanted. and as for starving myself, I honestly didn't know I was doing it. I was very sated on the diet, and didn't need much to make me full. And as for now, I am not trying to starve myself, I am in starvation mode from the diet. I did it all wrong, and I regret it. But I can't eat too much or I blow up like a balloon, so I am trying to introduce calories slowly. but I am still gaining a lot of weight!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you actually increase in size or do you perceive your weight as volume?
I think that many people do just that.
I was first put on a diet when I had a 24 inch waist - but because of my weight - I was very muscular because I was very active and athletic, I was called fat.
Do you want to have a low weight because you associate that with a small size?
When I lost the muscle, due to incorrect dieting, I gained fat so not only did I go back to the same weight, I was larger. in size.
Perhaps what you call normal eating is going to be too high is sugar and starch for you to maintain the weightloss, and you need to consider carefully how to nourish yourself without stimulating fat storing when insulin is released after you eat carbohydrate.
Perhaps Dr Atkins "New Diet Revolution' could help - there are copies available online, as in it - at least in my 2003 edition, there is a lot of detail about adapting what you eat to slow down and maintain weightloss rather than losing weight, getting to your goal and then going to a completely different way of eating.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I strongly recommend that you wait until you have your appointment on the 31st, and discuss all this with a professional.

The fact that you are referring to 3 pounds gain as 'a ton of weight', and seem to be deliberately hitting the gym with the intention of 'burning off' a set number of calories, suggests food control issues to me, and a somewhat distorted view of what is going on.

This is actually very common, especially in people who have lost/gained/dieted and made weight control an important part of their lives, but it can also be a sign of eating disorders and other issues.

So really, please discuss all of this with a professional, face to face, and listen to what they tell you.

I am sure we will all be interested in hearing how you get on.

Miniblini

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
One thing to consider is water retention, you might want to discuss this at your appointment.
Good luck.
I am on a diuretic, so it's not water retention, it's starvation mode. I am eating about 800 calories a day, and slowly trying to increase my caloric intake without having to gain weight.

Miniblini

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I strongly recommend that you wait until you have your appointment on the 31st, and discuss all this with a professional.

The fact that you are referring to 3 pounds gain as 'a ton of weight', and seem to be deliberately hitting the gym with the intention of 'burning off' a set number of calories, suggests food control issues to me, and a somewhat distorted view of what is going on.

This is actually very common, especially in people who have lost/gained/dieted and made weight control an important part of their lives, but it can also be a sign of eating disorders and other issues.

So really, please discuss all of this with a professional, face to face, and listen to what they tell you.

I am sure we will all be interested in hearing how you get on.
three pounds isn't a ton of weight, I know that. but I gain over a pound a day just eating 800 calories. I was eating 700 calories. I had no idea I was eating too little until I I counted the calories, and that's what's wrong here. my body is in starvation mode. I need to figure out a way to slowly increase my calories while not gaining a ton of weight and having to burn it off at the gym. but yes, your right, I should wait and go see the dietition on the 31st.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
three pounds isn't a ton of weight, I know that. but I gain over a pound a day just eating 800 calories. I was eating 700 calories. I had no idea I was eating too little until I I counted the calories, and that's what's wrong here. my body is in starvation mode. I need to figure out a way to slowly increase my calories while not gaining a ton of weight and having to burn it off at the gym. but yes, your right, I should wait and go see the dietition on the 31st.
Sweetie, let it go. Right now the weight isn't the problem, you have to change your priorities. And I know that's hard, as I was absolutely massive three years ago, and I regained a little weight due to medication and other health issues this past half year, and I'm heart broken over it... But my HbA1c is perfect, so I'll take it as it is. If I stay the way I am, so be it: I'm healthy, so it's cool, even if I want to kick the mirror on occasion. An average woman needs about 2000 calories a day, and you're nowhere near that. You're not going to get out of starvation mode if you're not willing to just let your body get a break. It needs to wobble about a bit and find its footing again. Let your weight do what it must for things to get stable again. Then decide what's next.

A low carb diet is, on its own, enough for weight reduction, usually. The main goal is to get your bloodsugars under control, the rest'll follow suit. If you go extra low calorie AND keto, you're doing a heavy crash diet that will mess you up rather badly. Doing it long term is anorexia territory, though I hate to say it, but since even now you're focusing so much on mere pounds (and people do fluctuate a pound or two in a regular day, that's normal!), you need to get your priorities straight. So please, let go of the weight right now. It doesn't matter, not at the moment. Your health does. You're messing up your organs and whatnot right now. Up the calories, keep the carbs down for your bloodsugars, and please, do see someone. Sooner rather than later. You need to get stabilised first, and then, maybe you can look into losing some weight. But you probably will on keto or low carb/high fat as it is. That's a concern for a later date though. Give your body what it needs. Eat, and get some help.

Hugs,
Jo

Reactions: Diakat