Plant based diet reduces type 2 diabetes risk by 23 per cent, study suggests

DCUK NewsBot

Following a plant-based diet may reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 23%, researchers have said. The association was made following a study review by researchers at the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston. The US review also suggested that emphasising vegetable intake and minimising intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and refined carbohydrates reduced type 2 diabetes risk by 30%. "I would describe these risk reductions as being quite significant," said senior author Dr. Qi Sun. "Plant-based diets can promote metabolic health and reduce diabetes risk through many pathways, including preventing excess weight gain, improving insulin sensitivity, reducing inflammation, and other mechanisms." Eating a healthy, real-food diet has been shown to have a variety of benefits for people either at risk of type 2 diabetes or with existing type 2. Last year, the one-year outcomes of Diabetes Digital Media's Low Carb Program reported that eating low carb foods led to one in four users experiencing type 2 diabetes remission. The Harvard team looked at nine published studies that revolved around a plant-based, vegan diet and involved more than 23,500 cases of type 2 diabetes among more than 300,000 people. The combined findings from all the research papers found an association between eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts and a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. This was the same across all ages and body weight. It should be noted that whole grain and legumes often contain higher amounts of carbohydrate. While they contain lots of healthy fibre, the fibre derived from these foods can be attained from non-starchy vegetables such as spinach and kale, components of a plant-based diet. The findings emphasise that it is the quality of the plant-based products that are being consumed. Dr Sun added: "It does matter what veggies people eat and how the veggies are processed. Therefore, consuming healthy plant foods that are not or minimally processed, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains, should be emphasised." The findings have been published in the JAMA Internal Medicine journal.

Continue reading...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I stopped reading at 'Harvard Chan'.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe sending the memo to my gut again might help - it obviously has no idea that it is doing this so wrong.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There is plenty of successful plant based diet type 2's, that are not on a low carb diet, like my husband.

I have always said whichever way works best for you is your best way!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
If you subscribe to zoeharcombe.com you can see how she demolishes and debunks the various findings of this afore-mentioned study.
And consider who funds the University faculties that these supposed authors came from.

Reactions: Indy51

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
My husband is a happy T2 with an HbA1C consistently in the 30's - he eats a plant based diet.....

We are all different - and that is fine. It is perfectly alright to say that and what's more, to mean it. Not everyone's choices have to be the same and not everyone does well on the same diet. Your choice may well not suit others. There's nothing wrong with that, surely? All it's saying is that one way of eating suits some people. You aren't among the people it is discussing. Others may well be - should they be denied a way of eating that might help them because you don't like it and it doesn't help you?

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly this is about what allegedly prevents diabetes rather than is what is suitable once you already have it. Perhaps that may be seen as the same thing perhaps not. But if your metabolism is still working ok then quite possible it can cope with the carbs in this approach long term and it is the lack of processed chemical junk every bit as much the lack of meat, and quite probably better healthier weight etc, at this stage that keeps the metabolism healthy for longer/ever

I’m convinced, unscientifically, there are a variety of causes of t2 some aspects more prevalent in some cases. Eg some people seem to recover a large amount of insulin sensitivity very quickly on losing weight alone and don’t need to restrict carbs too much. Others not so much. These people have to stick to very low carb to see any shift in bgl. I see this regularly on this forum within meat eaters - who is to say the same doesn’t apply to vegans. Some are more carb tolerant and it works for them. Others choose to return to animal products as it doesn’t work for them. Not sure it’s veganism that controls the diabetes, maybe for some it doesn’t hinder control if that’s otherwise a choice they want to make.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is a happy T2 with an HbA1C consistently in the 30's - he eats a plant based diet.....

We are all different - and that is fine. It is perfectly alright to say that and what's more, to mean it. Not everyone's choices have to be the same and not everyone does well on the same diet. Your choice may well not suit others. There's nothing wrong with that, surely? All it's saying is that one way of eating suits some people. You aren't among the people it is discussing. Others may well be - should they be denied a way of eating that might help them because you don't like it and it doesn't help you?
Your husband is doing fantastic. I agree with your sentiment of doing what works for you. But where is it being mentioned anywhere here that people are being or should be denied any way of eating, vegan, carnivore or anywhere in between?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Your husband is doing fantastic. I agree with your sentiment of doing what works for you. But where is it being mentioned anywhere here that people are being or should be denied any way of eating, vegan, carnivore or anywhere in between?

It's more saying that the entire report is bunkum and therefore everything about it is to be disregarded. I don't mind a consensus on this board saying this way of eating doesn't help them (indeed in this forum I'd be amazed at anything else), but it cannot be denied that it does indeed help some people and therefore whatever someone's else's opinion, the report itself has some validity for some people.

I do agree with your post about prevention being the easiest way, and iI agree that the report discusses prevention rather than dealing with any existing T2.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's more saying that the entire report is bunkum and therefore everything about it is to be disregarded. I don't mind a consensus on this board saying this way of eating doesn't help them (indeed in this forum I'd be amazed at anything else), but it cannot be denied that it does indeed help some people and therefore whatever someone's else's opinion, the report itself has some validity for some people.

I do agree with your post about prevention being the easiest way, and iI agree that the report discusses prevention rather than dealing with any existing T2.
So there’s nothing about anyone being denied a way of eating being mentioned in this thread? I understand you may feel in a minority for your food choices, especially in here, but please don’t make claims of vegans being denied their diet that haven’t actually happened. It won’t help heal any “them and us” mentality and might just stir a little up. Let’s continue to advocate each to their own and be given the freedom to make those choices, in full and accurate knowledge of any science relevant :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

So there’s nothing about anyone being denied a way of eating being mentioned in this thread? I understand you may feel in a minority for your food choices, especially in here, but please don’t make claims of vegans being denied their diet that haven’t actually happened. It won’t help heal any “them and us” mentality and might just stir a little up. Let’s continue to advocate each to their own and be given the freedom to make those choices, in full and accurate knowledge of any science relevant :)

OK. No worries. Just please - don't let's deny the report's validity for some people, whilst accepting it's not for all? I'm happy with that idea.

Reactions: Redshank

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets

Hi @WuTwo, thanks for posting your husbands numbers. Are you able to be more specific with the numbers and does you husband have low gi veg. I have found it impossible to get numbers either when I have asked in a topic or researched Neal Bernard etc; they just say better numbers or similar.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi @WuTwo, thanks for posting your husbands numbers. Are you able to be more specific with the numbers and does you husband have low gi veg. I have found it impossible to get numbers either when I have asked in a topic or researched Neal Bernard etc; they just say better numbers or similar.

He is 70, his HbA1C has travelled between 36 and 41 over the past 15 years - sometimes at the high end of those figures, others at the lower. His weight stable for the last 20 years or so, doesn't smoke, drinks very occasionally and he's very active. Great cook - he's retired and I'm at work so he runs the home etc. and does a very thorough job. He runs around like a blue**** fly. I tell him to rest but he doesn't often. It's easier to list the veg he doesn't like than the veg he does ('cos he's always loved veg!) He takes account of the diabetes (both my T1 and his T2) i the cooking, and doesn't do meals with lots of carbs because we stick to about 100-120 g per day.

He does like sprouts, sweetheart cabbage, white cabbage (in the coleslaw), pak choi, fennel bulbs, celeriac - take a mental trip round the greengrocers and if it's not on the "don't like" list then yes, he eats it. Every variety of mushroom, those huge fresh garlic bulbs (yum), beanshoots a favourite. Oh stop me .... I could just keep adding to it all.

Doesn't like kale, spinach, that dark green leather cabbage, spring greens. We don't bother with the very dark green bitter veg any more. Spinach can be buried in the cooking but not served as a side. Or that rocket stuff.

He doesn't like actual tofu unless it's in the cooking, but he does like my home made seitan. Never ever had a sweet tooth. Doesn't eat biscuits, cakes and things like that. He likes oat crackers - the Nairns ones, with something savoury on top.

Doesn't eat sweets - snacks on unsalted nuts and sometimes the Veggie protein mix (dreadful name for a really tasty snackfood). Doesn't eat chocolate; he likes dark chocolate (very) at Christmas but doesn't eat it at other times.

Forgot to say - blood pressure was 120/80 and I can't remember cholesterol type figures. No signs of any eye troubles or anything else.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Quote :
Following a plant-based diet may reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 23%, researchers have said. The association was made following a study review by researchers at the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston. The US review also suggested that emphasising vegetable intake and minimising intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and refined carbohydrates reduced type 2 diabetes risk by 30%. : Unquote

The post states it may reduce type 2 diabetes, not actually prevent it.

[QUOTE="HSSS, post: 2100438, member: 480869"]Interestingly this is about what allegedly prevents diabetes rather
than is what is suitable once you already have it.
Perhaps that may be seen as the same thing perhaps not. But if your metabolism is still working ok then quite possible it can cope with the carbs in this approach long term and it is the lack of processed chemical junk every bit as much the lack of meat, and quite probably better healthier weight etc, at this stage that keeps the metabolism healthy for longer/ever

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like plant based food, it compliments my meat based food... :D
I'd tend to agree having been brought up on a "meat and two veg" style diet, but what I DO NOT want is a high carbohydrate based diet.:mad::dead:

Robbity

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'd tend to agree having been brought up on a "meat and two veg" style diet, but what I DO NOT want is a high carbohydrate based diet.:mad::dead:

Robbity

I was brought up that way too, and I agree - I'm happy plant based, moderate carb with husband likewise. Neither of us wants high carb - that doesn't have to go with plant based at all, and I think a lot of people eat high carb/plant based because it's undoubtedly easy, or they don't much care for cooking so they eat a lot of shop bought products.

I gathered from the report that they were suggesting whole foods plant based (not just plants though), but with a focus on the whole foods ie. not bought products and that makes sense to me.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Plus ca chnage etc. etc.
So we are all agreed that eating (real) food with little or no processed carbs including sucrose is likely to be helpful if you are prone to insulin resistance. Whether or not you eat meat.
The rest is implied and spun by those wishing to promote plant based diets.
Michael Pollan says Eat Real Food, Not too much. Mainly plants.
Zoe Harcombe says Eat Real Food. Not too much. Mainly meat.
It s possible that both are correct.

Reactions: Redshank

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I agree - what suits one won't suit another, and vice versa - and that's absolutely fine!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quote :
Following a plant-based diet may reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 23%, researchers have said. The association was made following a study review by researchers at the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston. The US review also suggested that emphasising vegetable intake and minimising intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and refined carbohydrates reduced type 2 diabetes risk by 30%. : Unquote

The post states it may reduce type 2 diabetes, not actually prevent it.

If we’re being pedantic then actually what is says is
...may reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes...

...reduced type 2 diabetes risk....

To me “reducing risk of developing” is preventative, albeit not guaranteed. I should have said reduces the risk of getting rather than prevents. My bad.

Can you clarify what point you are actually making with your comments please as it’s unclear to me.

Last edited: