Who has had steroids?

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know apprpximately 6 people in my hometown who have type 1 diabetes all diagnosed at different times i.e 20s 30s and 50s. All of them had steroids for other illnesses prior to diagnosis

What percentage of people here had steroids for other medical conditions prior to being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The only times I’ve had steroids have been a few decades after diagnosis. They certainly raised blood sugars and I suspect that a dose of them would hasten T1 if it were hovering there already.

D

Deleted Account

I have only taken steroids for specific targeted medical issues and only done so since diagnosis.
It raised my BG at the time but not long term.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I had a steroid injection in my right shoulder and have got another due in Aug for the left. Thanks @helensaramay for the pointer about BG rise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I know apprpximately 6 people in my hometown who have type 1 diabetes all diagnosed at different times i.e 20s 30s and 50s. All of them had steroids for other illnesses prior to diagnosis

What percentage of people here had steroids for other medical conditions prior to being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes?

I was in emotional turmoil pre diabetes diagnosis, suspected Colitis, then Type 1, nothing to do with steroids though.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve only the need for steroid injections post diagnosis and as already mentioned they can play havoc with BS over the course of a few days.
@SueJB . Sorry to hear you’re having shoulder issues. Years spent in the gym have resulted in me suffering with rotator cuff problems. Numerous steroid injections did and did not work. At best pain relief and mobility only lasted short term.
Obviously I have no idea what issues you have but if it involves the rotator cuff and impingement in the shoulder area I would suggest undertaking a daily stretching routine. I created my own 5 minute routine with ideas off YouTube ( was sceptical when I first started ). It has proven to be the best treatment for the problem.
Apologies if this is information isn’t relevant for you.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi Jamesfitx.
Yes I’ve had Predisalone Steroids from around 1992.
Given for Ulcerative Colitis flare up.
I was diagnosed type two in 2003.
Maddy

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
One of my good friends of over 40 years has a brain tumour. He was given steroids which has brought on rampant Type 2.

JudiP

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I was on steroids for a number of years before type 2 diagnosis and on a particularly long course just before. I am convinced that my diabetes is steroid induced, and this is,I understand, now being recognised.

JudiP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was on steroids for a number of years before type 2 diagnosis and on a particularly long course just before. I am convinced that my diabetes is steroid induced, and this is,I understand, now being recognised.
I should have added that I am currently on a course of steroids following a chest infection. My dilemma was that I was getting very high BG readings as a result of the steroids but cutting them
down too quickly would have negated their use. In the event I was so concerned about the high readings that I did cut the steroids down and now I’m still not clear of the lung problem. I finished the steroids today so hope the BG levels start to drop.

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diabetes was kicked off by having steroid treatment for gout in 2012. I have also been on 5mg Prednisolone as part my anti rejection medication following my kidney Transplant (caused by Polycystic Kidney Disease not diabetes) in 2013 and this is causing me considerable problems with BS control.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes i am a type 1 diabetic as are all the people i know in my home town that have it. I am certain my diabetes was caused by prednisolone

Since Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition I would seriously doubt that steroids would induce it They are implicated in Type 2 though.

KitInCA

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only

Me. After a major surgery, I was given massive steroids via IV (from the point of resection to leaving the hospital); my BG levels were so high during the week of my hospital recovery (128-200) that the nurses assumed I was an "unreported diabetic" and wanted to give me insulin. I denied the condition and refused the insulin. I thought that was the end of it. Two weeks later, at a surgical follow-up, I was told that I was a diabetic. I laughed. How could that be? No diabetes in my family history, I was thin, I was athletic, I exhibited no symptoms of diabetes (other than the high BG reads during my hospital stay). I was given a blood glucose meter and test strips and told to keep a log- - which I did. My BG's were, more often than not, out of normal range. In the meantime, as the doctors were trying to type my diabetes: I was tested for GADA and found positive for the antibodies (49) but tested negative for all other diabetes-definitive autoantibody tests. At that point (and every moment since), I was considered LADA by, well, THE ENTIRE WORLD. I am no longer "Kit," but "Lotta." Haha.
As an aside, I was given oral steroids for three months after surgery. Now, I don't take them- - even despite recommendation to do so when I have a cold, etc.
Since my diagnosis and subsequent BG monitoring, I have accepted the possibility that I am Diabetes 1/LADA and have changed my lifestyle. I am KETO and have, since adopting the KETO diet, kept my BG reads in range (frustrating fluctuations within the normal range aside) and I have a low A1c. I suspected from the beginning that the massive steroids triggered an autoimmune response. I still am.