MCT oil

DandyCane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have recently started a LcHf diet and have read about mct oil helping the body to get into Ketosis - am curious if anyone here has tried it? Maybe I should ask Keto forum? Forgive me am newbie to this forum...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Better to let your body get into ketosis on its own.. exogneous ketones are not really necessary and can be quite pricey.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Personally, I'd focus more so on the low carb diet and keeping stable, safe bg levels and in general finding your limits and understanding how it all impacts on you the individual etc, rather then focusing on ketosis.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ketosis is entirely natural and most people can go in and out of that state several times a day with no problem - so it would not be something I'd be concerned about.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently started a LcHf diet and have read about mct oil helping the body to get into Ketosis - am curious if anyone here has tried it? Maybe I should ask Keto forum? Forgive me am newbie to this forum...
...I keto fine without it. :)

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
My sister gave me a bottle of C8 MCT oil and I used some of it to make a tasty mayo. Every time I had some, I did feel more mentally sharp afterwards, but didn't measure my ketones. I wouldnt buy it myself, (expensive) but always buy coconut oil for stir fries.

Reactions: DandyCane

EvafromSussex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
C8 MCT oil is really to feed the brain, it is used for biohacking - improving one's performance, and there is wealth of anecdotal data from places like Silicone Valley that it works.
Keto diet is used to direct our bodies' metabolism to not rely on glucose, but to switch to using ketones.
There is a small overlap: some people find that when they come out of keto (diet failure, diet mistake, or similar) they feel awful. So using ketones like MCT oil, or coconut oil, the logic goes, stops a keto flu symptoms. Not sure if it is really effective?

DandyCane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
C8 MCT oil is really to feed the brain, it is used for biohacking - improving one's performance, and there is wealth of anecdotal data from places like Silicone Valley that it works.
Keto diet is used to direct our bodies' metabolism to not rely on glucose, but to switch to using ketones.
There is a small overlap: some people find that when they come out of keto (diet failure, diet mistake, or similar) they feel awful. So using ketones like MCT oil, or coconut oil, the logic goes, stops a keto flu symptoms. Not sure if it is really effective?
Thaknyou - I will try it if I relapse,! has been 4 weeks now and feeling much better!

EvafromSussex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thaknyou - I will try it if I relapse,! has been 4 weeks now and feeling much better!
Just bear in mind that one needs to get used to MCT oil. When taken in large doses straight off it can really upset your stomach. I would take no more than 1 teaspoon with food to start off. It doesn't mean that MCT oil is bad/harmful in any way, I guess that bacterial flora in your stomach must adjust to it's presence in your diet. Eva