No Insulin Due to Lost Luggage

SpeakN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve just landed at Faro airport in Portugal to find my suitcase has been lost. I have about two days of fast acting insulin in my hand luggage. However, my long acting Lantus and spare Humolog is in the lost suitcase.

Is it possible to buy insulin from a pharmacy in Portugal?

Any help is appreciated.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a copy of your prescription, or access to your GP medical records online? I can’t imagine any pharmacy or dr giving insulin without any proof of it being prescribed previously. I don’t know the Spanish system, you may have to see a Dr first for a prescription.
Having a bit of a google I’ve found this travel guide but nothing about getting a prescription or buying insulin, but does talk about different insulin syringe types over there.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/travel-guides/spain.html

And this taken from a travel insurance site.
1. Call someone for help
Travelers who discover their prescription medications are lost or stolen should start by contacting the assistance service company provided in their travel insurance policy. The travel insurance assistance services is the simplest way to get your prescriptions replaced as the service representatives will be able to make the calls to your doctors and pharmacies back home and then advise you how to proceed.
Even with a prescription and cash in hand you could have trouble
Even if you’re prepared with a copy of your prescription and the money to pay for the drugs, many countries do not permit pharmacies to fill prescriptions that originate outside their country. One solution is to see a local doctor to explain your medical condition to get a new prescription that can be filled locally. If you have a letter from your doctor back home explaining your condition and the medication used to treat it, that will help the local doctor.
https://www.travelinsurancereview.n...vel-safety-tips/replace-prescriptions-abroad/

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I see no harm in asking a pharmacist while you still have insulin now. If worst comes to worst you might need to see a doctor to get a prescription.
I agree with @helensaramay, when I was travelling to and from the Netherlands, I shoved all my supplies in my hand luggage. This also applied when I went to NYC, I gave partial supplies to my friend to shove in her hand luggage and some in mine. Incase one gets lost or goes missing.
However I was able to buy insulin at a dutch pharmacy without any trouble. I kept the box and explained I’m a type 1 diabetic.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I left my bag with all my stuff in it [pump consumables, insulin vials, insulin pens, test strips, BP meds] on the transfer bus.....took 3 days to get back.....

I went to a local clinic with my passport and European health Insurance card and they wrote me a prescription.....

The English wasn't very good but I got the feeling they didn't really want a back story......simply appearing with the insurance card entitles you to a prescription.....

Have to pay for it at the pharmacy obviously but it was cheap......a box of 5 novorapid and 5 Levemir with a box of needles.....8 euros.....couldn't believe it....

EDIT: This was in Tenerife by the way..

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I am sure someone will come along and explain about buying insulin in Portugal. In your situation, I would find a pharmacist and ask.

Insulin should never go in the hold. Not only may your luggage go missing as you have found, but also the hold gets too cold for insulin and will kill it. If you do not realise this it can be very dangerous.
All diabetes medication, test strips, etc. (at least twice as much as you think you need) must go in your hand luggage. If this mean you cannot fit everything you need in your hand luggage, most airlines will allow you to bring a second "medical bag" on board. Although I would rather miss out on a book than the thing that keeps me alive.

Good luck with the pharmacist and I hope you manage to enjoy your break.
Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I actually didn't know this. How could I not know this? I'm flying to Australia for the first time on insulin in a few months time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just landed at Faro airport in Portugal to find my suitcase has been lost. I have about two days of fast acting insulin in my hand luggage. However, my long acting Lantus and spare Humolog is in the lost suitcase.

Any help is appreciated.

Can you let us know how you are doing?
Have you sourced some insulin?
Has your luggage appeared?

Wondering if everything is OK?

SpeakN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can you let us know how you are doing?
Have you sourced some insulin?
Has your luggage appeared?

Wondering if everything is OK?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I’ve just heard from the airport that the bag was left in Manchester but is on the next flight landing at 11.30 tonight.

I’ve used my quick acting insulin today and kept in range. My HSBC assistance service were covering the insulin and other essentials but this is no longer required so all has ended well.

I wasn’t aware of insulin in the hold being a problem so it’s useful to know. However, I’ve done it many times before and readings from my Libre suggest the insulin has continued to work.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin can be delicate to either getting too hot or too cold. Besides the fact it's critical for us to stay alive and I don't think anyone wants to go scrambling around trying to get an emergency supply.

When I fly I take a back pack with all my needed diabetic supplies and then double that just in case! And then I do not ever let it out of my sight!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Although not insulin, I left all my meds on the table at home, ready to go in my carry on luggage when traveling to Portugal. I went to a local doctor who prescribed the meds I wanted. He even consulted my surgery at home to get the dose right because I couldn't remember.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I would still use the HSBC assistance service and replace my insulin. It could arrive and be useless, having been left in intense heat at the airport during our heatwave or going below freezing in flight. At least you have time now to sort it instead of risking spoiling your holiday.