What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I actually think it’s flu - came on very suddenly and lots of aches and pains. Nose is stuffy but very little sneezing. It’s been a while since I had anything like this.

Used to get very bad hayfever but it all but vanished several years ago after an extended spell of acupuncture which was aimed at treating migraine. Didn’t work for that but the lack of hayfever was very welcome.
Sorry its so nasty..take care, lots of lime water should really help. Get better soon.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
@Goonergal . Sorry to hear that you are off-colour. It is bad enough coping with this weather as it is. Just a thought: If you have double glazing only open your windows when the air is cooler at night and then shut the cooler air in. Keep the windows and curtains closed during daylight hours. Counterintuitive I know but keeps rooms cooler! However, I may have to locate a fan by tomorrow!
Having a dark cave may explain why I haven't lost my appetite!
B. 2 fried eggs on buttery, garlicky spinach. Black tea, black coffee.
L. Found some Debla protein bread in the cupboard -4g per slice. Topped it with tomato and basil cream cheese and smoked salmon. Excellent! 3 small plums from the garden.
Snack. Mixed salted nuts, diet ginger beer and fresh lime.
D. Cold salmon fillet and prawns, avocado and salad.
ETA. Was persuaded to go out at 9 to drink beer and eat nuts. Was ok in the beer garden -slightly cooler with a breeze.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb admiration for your efforts and as others have said you are doing what you can. @Goonergal hope you soon start to feel better. Warm enough for just 1 base layer today and hopefully no fleece tomorrow. Meals you say - I had tea for B - it is the best for us simpletons - about 6 pints. Lunch was mackerel salad and seed mix. Evening meal was 2 h/b egg and avocado salad with chia seeds. I drank water and 750 mls eletrolyte. Says I had around 22 gms carb and 1804 cals so not starving but just doing basic tick over. 2 salads is as good as it will ever get on LC for me so this weather is ideal.
ETA: Had a 36 gms scoop of Lidl LC salted caramel ice cream. OK as far as it went.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to @shelley262, @PenguinMum, @Viv19 and @DJC3 for all your kind words. I was a bit down earlier and I must have had a kind of rant back there. All your kindness has made me feel better.

Maybe it was eating the salmon and broccoli as well that helped me feel a bit better. Of course, it helps staying away from mirrors! Have to look into armchair yoga - the nearest pool is 7 miles away, they don't have a class that I could join and anyway, there isn't a swimming costume that would go round me.

My diabetic nurse hasn't been any help at all, nor has my GP. Never mind, though, my better self is beginning to emerge this evening and I can laugh at my foolishness. After all, I don't have to look at myself so, as I told myself when the scar appeared and stayed on my face after surgery, it's not really my problem, it's only a problem for those who have to look at me and if it is a problem for them, who cares?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Had a Work website problem today so was stuck indoors working sorting out a bug on the content management software - mind you it was a bit too hot to be out as day progressed.
Breakfast half slice of Hilo toast with bacon and egg
Lunch busy so ended up with a few walnuts and some 100% choc
Dinner chicken, cauliflower cheese and asparagus followed by sf jelly and spoon of cream and yoghurt. Will probably have some more choc with decaf coffee.
Hope everyone manages to stay cool tomorrow normal weather looks like it will be resumed soon!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over gammon steak with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and strawberries.
Mid afternoon: coconut chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: rainbow trout oven baked with lemon and parsley with mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

79CADCB7-5A31-4471-9C24-0AB6B7267983.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Mixed nuts
Bits dark chocolate

Mince beef with eggs on top

Frozen mixed berries and cream

Fried mushrooms with baby salad leaves and iceberg lettuce

Tea tea and more tea
Only one black coffee
Water water and more water...

>^.^<

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to @shelley262, @PenguinMum, @Viv19 and @DJC3 for all your kind words. I was a bit down earlier and I must have had a kind of rant back there. All your kindness has made me feel better.

Maybe it was eating the salmon and broccoli as well that helped me feel a bit better. Of course, it helps staying away from mirrors! Have to look into armchair yoga - the nearest pool is 7 miles away, they don't have a class that I could join and anyway, there isn't a swimming costume that would go round me.

My diabetic nurse hasn't been any help at all, nor has my GP. Never mind, though, my better self is beginning to emerge this evening and I can laugh at my foolishness. After all, I don't have to look at myself so, as I told myself when the scar appeared and stayed on my face after surgery, it's not really my problem, it's only a problem for those who have to look at me and if it is a problem for them, who cares?

So glad you are feeling a bit more optimistic now. Salmon and broccoli is good medicine.
Armchair yoga is a really good idea, it would help you relax mentally as well as improve your physical health. Have you looked on YouTube? There are quite a few to choose from. I use a YouTube fitness video when I remember.

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

Hope you feel better soon @Goonergal
Summer viruses are so unfair.

B: bone broth, goatsmilk yog
L: beef rib
D: beef rib

Instant potters, I need your help.
I got 3 short rib (well, my butcher calls them ‘thin ribs’), compared a few different IP recipes which all agreed on 45mins pressure, with 10-15 mins natural release.

Did that.

And I have ended up with 3 ribs which are meltingly succulently exquisite, around the bone, and dry, dense, hard and not-tender through the top half of the meat.

I had stood each rib up, sitting on its bone side, meat above, resting on the bottom, not the trivet.
The liquid was 250mls of water, with a few herbs/spices.

Soooo
Did i cook too long? Too short? How can i get the succulence all the way through?
Is there some other secret trick I am missing?
This has happened before, whereas my stews and lamb shoulders and lamb shanks are melting off the bone.

Viv19

Off work with the lurgy today. Feeling pretty dreadful.

Food has been quick and simple. Lunch was pan fried sea bass fillet with lemon butter. Dinner was ribeye steak with some more butter followed by 15g melted (hardly needed the microwave given the temperature in my flat) American 90% chocolate mixed with extra thick double cream and then a 20g piece of cheese.

Have been adding fresh lime juice to iced water all day too - had forgotten how delicious that is.

Sorry you have the lurgy Goonergal. It’s always especially unpleasant when the weather is hot isn’t it? Hope you feel better very soon.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
24-07-19
Breakfast: 7.301sh nut granola with semi skimmed milk, tea , same milk, about half an avocado( it got bruised on the journey) 2 eggs,
Lunch out. No really good choices, unless I have ham and eggs again, decided on chilli, with chips and salad. Did manage to get MrSlim to eat some of the chips. Pudding mixed fruit crumble, thought that was best option, but looks as if it was made with a tin of fruit cocktail, so probably massive sugar, cream with mine. Declined offer of a double size portion. but still feeling uncomfortably full. Am going to test bg when we get home.
Am assuming BG was about 5.7 before meal. Test is about 90 mins after start and it's 9.7.
That's the highest I have seen for a long time. Maybe shut up and eat up ( its only two days) isn't such a good idea. I may have to make a fuss at dinner tonight. Or help out with preparation, that is a bit more tactful.
Several hours later, BG checked again still
7.5. Suppose I should be happy it's coming down, but Mum is making noises about dinner. Sneakily diverted her, by suggesting visit to sister. (Who recently had a fall while out running)
Convivial visit, several glasses of wine, back home,
Check BG 5.1, is pancreas overcompensating? Then cheese and biscuits, tomato and cucumber, refused tiramisu. Mum produces the low GI biscuits ( she made a double quantity esp for me) and a kilo of fresh cherries
So one biscuit and a dozen cherries. ..and a cup of tea before bed

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Snags cooked over firepit, forgot to bring some HB bread out to the block with me so ate some white bread snag sandwiches. It did not bounce my bgl to much as I was working hard before I tested after.
Dinner: Steak and veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelettes, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no additives, lotsa water.

We relocated 14 grey kangaroos yesterday, all made the journey to their new home in good condition after getting shot in the butt with a tranq dart. About another 10 will get the same today, that should ease the load on what feed and water is left for the other animals.

EditL Typo

Last edited by a moderator:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Rushed breakfast - I was expecting to go shopping today, so should have been ready in good time, however, my No1 son was up, ill, most of the night, so I thought the trip was off, so when at 0900 he came through and asked when I wanted to go, I was still lazing around in my dressing gown. 2 RyVita again with Marmite and some tea. Out by 0930.
Lunch - just made some leek and squash soup - a bit thin without potatoes so I added some butter and double cream. Delish! Unfortunately now feeling a bit sick.
Just received an invitation to join a friend for dinner tonight - her family is here from distant homes and she has invited me to join them (really, I suspect, so that I can give some other people a lift out to her house). The people I need to pick up are a Syrian family who have been given homes here on the Island. I am assured that the meal will be all vegetable because the Syrians won't eat any meat that isn't halal - not available here, so I should be OK for something to eat. I will have to avoid the inevitable rice though.
Might take some co-codamol soon - legs are bad and if I am going to take it I should take it soon, to allow drowsy effects to wear off before I have to go. No point trying to hold out today.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad you are feeling a bit more optimistic now. Salmon and broccoli is good medicine.
Armchair yoga is a really good idea, it would help you relax mentally as well as improve your physical health. Have you looked on YouTube? There are quite a few to choose from. I use a YouTube fitness video when I remember.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look on YouTube and watched some videos. However, those that I saw were not possible for me to do. I'll look again and see if there are any others which might help.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Thanks for all the good wishes yesterday. Feeling a bit better today but a 1,800 step walk to the shops exhausted me, so clearly not on top form.

Lunch was some of the charcuterie brought home from Real Food Rocks. Delicious. Supplemented by 80g vintage cheddar.

Dinner was slow cooked oxtail. Yum.

45706A6D-708E-455C-85A1-CFF938CFBE17.jpeg

Viv19

Tea no breakfast
Physio
Cwc
Lunch 2slices LC bread, one with smoked salmon and the other with blue cheese. Yoghurt and berries.
Afternoon- nuts. Tea, lots of water.
I made a pork casserole in the IP. OH pleased, but I can’t eat that today. I had some olives stuffed with almonds.
And then some cheese cubes with a glass of Riesling.
The IP works well and the meat is very tender after just 35 minutes. I think though the sauté was very slow so I’ll do that on the cooker in future if it’s necessary, then throw it all in the pot.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All lying low today due to heat and after eye treatment yesterday. Awake from 4am so had tea and slice HiLo toast with butter before day got too hot. Surprisingly tw cups instant coffee during morning as due to early brekkie feeling hungry. Lunch was a few teaspoonfuls peanut butter and two Benecol no sugar drinks going out of date normally have just one. Supper will be cauli rice with flaked salmon, diced red pepper and a few peas (as often happens Thursday is scratch dinner) oh and some wilted spinach.
A G&ST with loads of ice cubes wedge of lime before.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea no breakfast
Physio
Cwc
Lunch 2slices LC bread, one with smoked salmon and the other with blue cheese. Yoghurt and berries.
Afternoon- nuts. Tea, lots of water.
I made a pork casserole in the IP. OH pleased, but I can’t eat that today. I had some olives stuffed with almonds.
The IP works well and the meat is very tender after just 35 minutes. I think though the sauté was very slow so I’ll do that on the cooker in future if it’s necessary, then throw it all in the pot.

Viv - the saute function initially comes on at the lower of three settings. To make it hotter, just hit the saute buttom, them the "more" button, until you get what you want. As the IP saves your last setting (per function), then next time, it will come on at the last heat.

Personally, I don't usually saute in the IP, but that's because I'm a shorty, and the angles don't really work for me, as moving the meat/onions/whatever around, my forearms are in real danger of being burned on the hot inner pot rim. On that basis, depending on what and how much I'm doing, I'll either saute in a saute pan, or a wok.

Ot's rather miraculous how quickly "stuff" cooks, once it reaches pressure. For recipes requiring water in the inner pot (as opposed to fluid as a recipe ingredient), I usually use boiled water straight from the boiling kettle.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Obviously everyone in Cambridgeshire spent the day punting so food not very exciting. Usual 6 pints tea first thing. After a few hrs punting had flaxseed crackers and egg mayo and podged out with mini cucumbers and piccolo toms. More punting then a cheese and avocado salad. Plenty of water and 1 lot of electrolytes - amazon couldn't deliver the new ones today - snow on the line. Must go, need to scrape the barnacles of my flat bottom.

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Day 12.
B. No food, black tea, black coffee
L. Slice of protein bread with cream cheese and smoked salmon, 2 strawberries, Greek yoghurt, sprinkling of protein granola.
Snack. Diet ginger beer and lime, salted mixed nuts.
D. Gazpacho, small crustless quiche, leaves, tomatoes, olives, artichokes.
Really hoping it is cooler tomorrow. 37.5C in my garden!