Confuse

Reemap

Hello,

My HbA1c is 7.0 and fasting sugars is most of the times in range 115-125 and post meal sugars is 140-180 range. Am I diabetic or pre-diabetic? I do not have any symptoms of diabetes like thirsty or frequent urination.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello,

My HbA1c is 7.0 and fasting sugars is most of the times in range 115-125 and post meal sugars is 140-180 range. Am I diabetic or pre-diabetic? I do not have any symptoms of diabetes like thirsty or frequent urination.

Not sure where you are but in the UK an A1c of 6.5% or higher is regarded as being diabetic.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 70 or 8.6% I didn’t have any of the obvious symptoms :(

Edited for typo.

Last edited:

Reemap

But usually they say random sugar needs to be less than 200.. whenever I check my random sugar it’s always less than 160.. also post meal sugar needs to be checked withing 2 hours of a meal or after 2 hours of meal.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
But usually they say random sugar needs to be less than 200.. whenever I check my random sugar it’s always less than 160.. also post meal sugar needs to be checked withing 2 hours of a meal or after 2 hours of meal.

We are all different and whilst the 2 hr rule provides a reasonable model for most people, I find my own glucose levels can be highest 3 to 4 hrs after eating, especially with certain foods, like pasta for example.

I can't see how your averaged A1c number can be high unless you have also had high glucose levels at some point.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Reemap

We are all different and whilst the 2 hr rule provides a reasonable model for most people, I find my own glucose levels can be highest 3 to 4 hrs after eating, especially with certain foods, like pasta for example.

I can't see how your averaged A1c number can be high unless

Reemap

The thing is i got Gestational diabetes in year 2018. I delivered in 2019 April and all the sugar was back to normal. Later i checked my sugar end of May on glucometer it showed as 234 hence started having bitter gourd and Fenugreek seeds in the morning after which sugars were reduced and within 180 range post meal. HbA1c test I took on 5th July which showed random sugar 139 and HbA1c as 7.0.. I am still lactating and another two months to go hence did not opt for medications. Does Ayurvedic medicines help ..

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is i got Gestational diabetes in year 2018. I delivered in 2019 April and all the sugar was back to normal. Later i checked my sugar end of May on glucometer it showed as 234 hence started having bitter gourd and Fenugreek seeds in the morning after which sugars were reduced and within 180 range post meal. HbA1c test I took on 5th July which showed random sugar 139 and HbA1c as 7.0.. I am still lactating and another two months to go hence did not opt for medications. Does Ayurvedic medicines help ..
I have to admit I use ayurvedic tea and whatnot, but I started that when I was just diagnosed and ended up liking the taste. Didn't do much of anything for anything, really... The only thing that really helped was going low carb, so if it's meds you want to avoid due to breastfeeding, that is an option. Just read up on it before you dive in, as while breastfeeding there's some caveats for your and your baby's health: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/when-breastfeeding

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Post meal sugar after dinner 8.2
You want to know what your bloods are doing before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. Just the numbers by themselves don't mean very much in relation to the food you're eating. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than your body could process, but you also have to spread out about 50 grams of carbs throughout your day to safely breastfeed and, that may be tricky...

If your HbA1c is in percentages you're at the early stages of T2 and I got the conversion right they're at 53 in new money, so please do get it checked again in a few months, keep an eye on your bloodsugars.

Reemap

Sure.. thanks .. you mean to say HbA1c 7.0 is early stage of T2? I will check again in oct as I will complete 6 months of breastfeeding and also can concentrate to keep my carbs low. I am from India and rice is one of the main ingredients for us. However I shifted to brown rice.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sure.. thanks .. you mean to say HbA1c 7.0 is early stage of T2? I will check again in oct as I will complete 6 months of breastfeeding and also can concentrate to keep my carbs low. I am from India and rice is one of the main ingredients for us. However I shifted to brown rice.
I've converted numbers wrong before, so it could be just barely early stages of diabetes, or not. The difference between your pre- and post-meal reading is a little higher than one'd like it, but only a little, and considering that rice (regardless of colour, sorry) may have been involved in that meal, that's still pretty good. So your plan sounds solid: finish your 6 months of breastfeeding and get checked again, go from there.

Reactions: 1spuds and Reemap