Should I be concerned

StaceyEmma

Evening guys and girls.
So a bit of background to start I was misdiagnosed for 4/5 years to start with but since I’ve been diagnosed as type 1 but lada in May of this year started straight in insulin although my test results came back as I’m still producing a lot of my own and off all the oral medication.

So I’m a bit concerned at the moment for several reasons;
firstly ongoing gut issues sorry if this is tmi but going to the toilet for a bm up to 12 times and generally loose but the I have the odd day where I need to go but just can’t. Along side constantly being nauseous. And putting weight on since not good last visit to the Dietian. (Im still trying to get answers from my gp about this next appointment is Monday.)

Secondly:
with the heat I’m hardly eating (last few days just breakfast and dinner. No snacks and no lunch) before dinner tonight ideal range of 6.4 had the ok from the Dietian that I currently don’t have to inject my quick acting if I’m within normal ranges. But 3 hours after dinner (kabab meat and a single wrap) I’m up at 13.5 before bed. I can’t remember the last time I was this high since starting in insulin!

Thirdly:
a constant body Odour issue not just the sweaty smell (although I am sweating a lot), not sweet but kind of fishy just seems to pour from my every pore! And although yes I’m sharing for advice I am very self conscious about it this has only really started since starting on insulin as well.

And finally:
A constant need to pee and when I feel the need to go I have to go immediately or I could end up in a bit of a state. But along side this one often sharp stabbing in my sides. (This has only been the last few days)

So any help on the above would be very welcome.
Thanks in advance

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening guys and girls.
So a bit of background to start I was misdiagnosed for 4/5 years to start with but since I’ve been diagnosed as type 1 but lada in May of this year started straight in insulin although my test results came back as I’m still producing a lot of my own and off all the oral medication.

So I’m a bit concerned at the moment for several reasons;
firstly ongoing gut issues sorry if this is tmi but going to the toilet for a bm up to 12 times and generally loose but the I have the odd day where I need to go but just can’t. Along side constantly being nauseous. And putting weight on since not good last visit to the Dietian. (Im still trying to get answers from my gp about this next appointment is Monday.)

Secondly:
with the heat I’m hardly eating (last few days just breakfast and dinner. No snacks and no lunch) before dinner tonight ideal range of 6.4 had the ok from the Dietian that I currently don’t have to inject my quick acting if I’m within normal ranges. But 3 hours after dinner (kabab meat and a single wrap) I’m up at 13.5 before bed. I can’t remember the last time I was this high since starting in insulin!

Thirdly:
a constant body Odour issue not just the sweaty smell (although I am sweating a lot), not sweet but kind of fishy just seems to pour from my every pore! And although yes I’m sharing for advice I am very self conscious about it this has only really started since starting on insulin as well.

And finally:
A constant need to pee and when I feel the need to go I have to go immediately or I could end up in a bit of a state. But along side this one often sharp stabbing in my sides. (This has only been the last few days)

So any help on the above would be very welcome.
Thanks in advance

StaceyEmma - How are your blood glucose numbers these days? High numbers have lead to a few of the things you mention.

Secondly, have you been tested for Coeliac? All that time in the loo isn't right, so does need checking out. Have you discussed this aspect with your team?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Can you test for ketones? Do you have ketone strips? Whenever you are nauseous you have to be aware it can be the start of DKA.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetic-ketoacidosis.htm

If you are making less insulin as will happen over time and it can change daily in the honeymoon phase, you will start to require more insulin. A higher fat meal will slow down your absorption of carbs and then if eating a low carb meal protein can then raise your BG's. You might talk to your team about some more adjustments to your dosing. I also like to prebolus some of my insulin.

StaceyEmma

StaceyEmma - How are your blood glucose numbers these days? High numbers have lead to a few of the things you mention.

Secondly, have you been tested for Coeliac? All that time in the loo isn't right, so does need checking out. Have you discussed this aspect with your team?

My blood glucose levels are generally between 5-9 which dietician was happy with. My overall average is 7.5

In regards to the loo I’m still undergoing various tests with my gp.

StaceyEmma

Can you test for ketones? Do you have ketone strips? Whenever you are nauseous you have to be aware it can be the start of DKA.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetic-ketoacidosis.htm

If you are making less insulin as will happen over time and it can change daily in the honeymoon phase, you will start to require more insulin. A higher fat meal will slow down your absorption of carbs and then if eating a low carb meal protein can then raise your BG's. You might talk to your team about some more adjustments to your dosing. I also like to prebolus some of my insulin.

Hi Maria. Yeah tested for ketones on and comes up negative on the pee strip.

I’m full of appointments in the next few weeks. Gp Monday for the gut issues, eye screening Thursday and diabetic nurse on the following Monday.
Really just wanted some advice whilst I’m waiting for the above appointments

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Stacey, obviously none of us can diagnose and your Dr is already investigating, but every time my (type 1) diabetic Mum got a bladder/urinary infection which for her was usually associated with high glucose levels, her body odour smelt slightly sweet/fishy. She also would be in the loo several times with pains in her side. Hope this helps but of course, it may not be the case for you. x

Reactions: StaceyEmma

StaceyEmma

Hi Stacey, obviously none of us can diagnose and your Dr is already investigating, but every time my (type 1) diabetic Mum got a bladder/urinary infection which for her was usually associated with high glucose levels, her body odour smelt slightly sweet/fishy. She also would be in the loo several times with pains in her side. Hope this helps but of course, it may not be the case for you. x

Thanks for advice just wish I could get a definitive answer without all the waiting between gp appointments

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I do remember when I first started fast acting insulin, my highest BG readings were close to the 3 hour mark. I don't know how long that went on for. Insulin now works on me in one to mostly being used by an hour and a half and then a small tail effect. I didn't change my diet, but I have a feeling I got better at carb counting, paying attention more to what I was actually eating, etc? But it was quite a while ago and I don't remember that much about it anymore.

But any kind of infection will cause higher blood sugars, it's my first sign of a tooth problem for me!

Reactions: StaceyEmma

StaceyEmma

I do remember when I first started fast acting insulin, my highest BG readings were close to the 3 hour mark. I don't know how long that went on for. Insulin now works on me in one to mostly being used by an hour and a half and then a small tail effect. I didn't change my diet, but I have a feeling I got better at carb counting, paying attention more to what I was actually eating, etc? But it was quite a while ago and I don't remember that much about it anymore.

But any kind of infection will cause higher blood sugars, it's my first sign of a tooth problem for me!

I’m hoping it was just what I ate was at 7 this morning. And down to 6.5 now. Hoping it’s not an infection

Reactions: Marie 2