Type 2 Decisions decisions

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So today here it’s supposed to be 39 degrees. Work itself isn’t issue as I’m in a nice air conditioned car.
But I can’t drink enough.

Can only go to toilet between lessons and this isn’t enough in this heat.

Yesterday stomach just started to feel but off. Not bad but you know when it’s a bit grumbly and just doesn’t feel right. Upper stomach not lower..

Anyway, am pondering whether it’s silly to make myself work in this heat (albeit air con available) because of the drinking situation.

Luckily first lesson cancelled or I’d be out there now. Have two lessons till mid afternoon then one tonight at 5.30.

So couple options: work the 2 lessons then come home and cancel last one.
Work all of them

Cancel all of them and stay at home and drink.

My pee hasn’t been clear all week. Isn’t as dark as it was earlier in week but even during day after drinking it’s still yellow.albeit a light yellow. Earlier in the week it was smelling if popcorn which I’ve read shows it’s very sugary. That’s gone now.

Part of me is thinking I’m asking for trouble if I work and don’t drink enough the other part of me hates having time off as I feel like I can push myself and make myself do it. Also feel like I’m skiving.

Also issue if breakfast. I have a fry up but that’s just going to make me even hotter.

Overall I feel iffy. I don’t feel right. But I guess everyone is like this in this heat.

Also issue I don’t get paid if I don’t work as self employed but taking a day off could stop me getting iller later.

I know you guys can’t tell me what to do but some advice please?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You must drink.!! Your urine should not be dark, in fact in this weather it should almost be colourless. If you feel better do all the lessons.
If i recall correctly, you don’t like asking to use someone’s toilet. No one minds... Really. If a driving instructor or anyone asked me it would be absolutely fine. In fact I have my sons tutor ask, kids trick or treating at my door ask. Please look after yourself. (Apologies if I have the wrong person)

Reactions: DJC3 and Prem51

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You must drink.!! Your urine should not be dark, in fact in this weather it should almost be colourless. If you feel better do all the lessons.
If i recall correctly, you don’t like asking to use someone’s toilet. No one minds... Really. If a driving instructor or anyone asked me it would be absolutely fine. In fact I have my sons tutor ask, kids trick or treating at my door ask. Please look after yourself. (Apologies if I have the wrong person)

Hi even if I do ask to use people’s toilets it would be between lessons which is no different to going to the shops.

It would disturb a lesson too much which is not fair on the pupil if I have to keep going to loo

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi even if I do ask to use people’s toilets it would be between lessons which is no different to going to the shops.

It would disturb a lesson too much which is not fair on the pupil if I have to keep going to loo

If you have to go, you have to go. The pupils will prefer it if you're there and going to the loo, rather than not there. But only if you're well enough.

Reactions: Flora123

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long are the lessons? Do you have bladder problems in general? I have an overactive bladder and stress incontinence and find if I'm well hydrated I pee less, strong urine can irritate the bladder and stimulate you to pee more.

You really need to drink and keep hydrated- you are storing up not just short term problems but long term problems too, as diabetics we really need to take care of our kidneys

Get your hydration levels up this morning before lessons then as you say you are in a car with air conditioning so you shouldn't dehydrate too much, once your levels are up and you are peeing nice coloured urine just a few sips an hour should keep you level.

You would probably feel a whole lot better in yourself as well if you are hydrated,

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
How long are the lessons? Do you have bladder problems in general? I have an overactive bladder and stress incontinence and find if I'm well hydrated I pee less, strong urine can irritate the bladder and stimulate you to pee more.

You really need to drink and keep hydrated- you are storing up not just short term problems but long term problems too, as diabetics we really need to take care of our kidneys

Get your hydration levels up this morning before lessons then as you say you are in a car with air conditioning so you shouldn't dehydrate too much, once your levels are up and you are peeing nice coloured urine just a few sips an hour should keep you level.

You would probably feel a whole lot better in yourself as well if you are hydrated,

Two hours. So usually 2.5 hours between toilet visits when taking in lot account travel.

No not usually bladder problems but on forxiga which makes you produce more pee. So I know it’s side effects but that doesn’t help.

Feeling better now as drank nearly 2 litres.

Pee is now pretty much clear. Just need to try and keep it that way through the day. Being more careful because of the heat.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two hours. So usually 2.5 hours between toilet visits when taking in lot account travel.

No not usually bladder problems but on forxiga which makes you produce more pee. So I know it’s side effects but that doesn’t help.

Feeling better now as drank nearly 2 litres.

Pee is now pretty much clear. Just need to try and keep it that way through the day. Being more careful because of the heat.
That's good you're feeling better :) - remember a sip every 10 minutes will keep you there whilst your in the car - and avoid tea and coffee as they are diaretics (sp?) and will make you pee more - chilled water with a nice squeeze of lemon or lime juice will be very refreshing and also help with bladder health.

Have a good day - I think everybody is going to be suffering today so we can only do our best :)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If it's hot and you're drinking a lot of water, don't forget some salt.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just be sure when teaching parallel parking that's if you still teach that these days it's out side or near a public loo that's if there is any such thing theses days.

My driving instructor in bygone days was always "saying park up there and I'll be back in a minute."

Mind you that was because he needed to regain his composure. :angelic:

Reactions: DJC3

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Now I’ve drank all that I’m going to loo every 15-20 mins!!

God this is so annoying!

Why can’t evolution tell when you need fluid and stop it leaving!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I’ve drank all that I’m going to loo every 15-20 mins!!

God this is so annoying!

Why can’t evolution tell when you need fluid and stop it leaving!
It could be now your kidneys have the fluid to do their job they are getting rid of all your toxins that have built up, still keep sipping water and hopefully it will settle down

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see your predicament now. 2 hr lessons is a long time. Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I see your predicament now. 2 hr lessons is a long time. Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

Can’t take metformin and the other options can cause stomach issues. At diagnosis I had severe ibs so we are both reluctant to add anything that will mess with stomach

Usually I’m ok with my 1.5 litres. It’s just this stupidly hot weather mucking it up

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It could be now your kidneys have the fluid to do their job they are getting rid of all your toxins that have built up, still keep sipping water and hopefully it will settle down

It’s like this all the time. Definitely side effects because when I came off tablets fir few days I could go whole 4 hours

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I really hate to tell you this, but AC units work by removing moisture in the environment they keep cool.
Ironically, It is possible to become dehydrated in an air conditioned environment..

image.png

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi,

I really hate to tell you this, but AC units work by removing moisture in the environment they keep cool.
Ironically, It is possible to become dehydrated in an air conditioned environment..

View attachment 34466

Yep!! I hate AC. Don’t usually use it. If I do I use it with fan and windows open. Very uneconomical but much more comfy.

In this weather no choice though

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I take Furosemide so have to be careful when taking long trips as the need to urinate can be frequent and urgent I carry a urine bottle in the car together with a large bath sheet to use as a screen I know not helpful in your situation but gives me an understanding of what it can be like and great sympathy for your situation. I think I would have taken the day off as I don't think I could give full service to my clients if continually having to fight the need to pee or feeling unwell due to dehydration.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep!! I hate AC. Don’t usually use it. If I do I use it with fan and windows open. Very uneconomical but much more comfy.

In this weather no choice though

In a car yep. Puts a drag on the engine when the compressor pump clutch is engaged..

It's normally noticeable for drying out the tubes & lungs. Though the skin can be affected too. It's more noticeable for me if I have a bit of a cold?
As a singer, I don't like the AC on in rehearsal spaces..

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It might help as soon as you are home each night to guzzle 32 oz of water or more, then hopefully you have time to go to the loo before bed but you've replenished your water supplies. Maybe it will help with how much water you need during the next day and help you stay a little more hydrated..

Reactions: HSSS

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

View attachment 34466
Ok I stand corrected :) - all I do is travel in a passenger seat air con on full and a bottle of water - never given the workings of things a thought lol Surely sipping water regularly would remedy this - works for me