Side effects of medication

BRITGRAN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I understand diarrhoea can be a side effect of medication, I also understand I may not get it but in a couple of weeks we are going on a coach trip, if I should get this unpleasant side effect, will Imodium help me

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
Imodium helps me but it takes a few. I find that the cheaper versions that come in capsule form work faster and better for me.

Speaking of side effects, does anyone get really bad cramps in calves at night? I woke up screaming again last night and it is still sore in my leg. :(

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand diarrhoea can be a side effect of medication, I also understand I may not get it but in a couple of weeks we are going on a coach trip, if I should get this unpleasant side effect, will Imodium help me
Probably, yes. You could also, if you are talking about metformin, just not take it for the duration of the trip... Just try and low carb your way through it. (Which is surprisingly easy when there's buffets and the like.)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Imodium helps me but it takes a few. I find that the cheaper versions that come in capsule form work faster and better for me.

Speaking of side effects, does anyone get really bad cramps in calves at night? I woke up screaming again last night and it is still sore in my leg. :(
Metformin reduces your uptake of vitamin B12, which can cause horrific cramps. Holland & Barrett's got vitamin B complex pills that would probably sort you out.

Reactions: Anniya84

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Imodium instants are good if you need them, i have no problems in with metformin but I have noticed I have a couple of "trigger" foods that can affect me, maybe watching for a pattern from the foods you are eating before you go may give you an insight into this - for me it's fried mushrooms and hot roasted chicken - I sometimes make a point of eating them when I need some help going as I have diverticulitis so like to go everyday and on a keto diet I can sometimes get a bit bunged up lol

BRITGRAN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin reduces your uptake of vitamin B12, which can cause horrific cramps. Holland & Barrett's got vitamin B complex pills that would probably sort you out.
It's actually Trulicity that I am starting, had my first injection yesterday hopefully I won't get any side effects, thank you all for responding, I shall buy Imodium just in case

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's actually Trulicity that I am starting, had my first injection yesterday hopefully I won't get any side effects, thank you all for responding, I shall buy Imodium just in case
Ah, well... Immodium is always a good idea on a trip. ;)