HbA1c of 38

EKW4Y

Hi, my first (as far as I know) test result was "38, No further action" as quoted by the nurse who rang me back after I called for the result.

Does that mean that I definitely don't have pre-diabetes? (Does this make me Pre-Prediabetic? ;) )

I have stopped testing now but after four weeks of testing, my rising (fasting) BG was anything between 6.6 and 7.8, mostly over the 7.0 mark. I was not very disciplined in taking it at other times of the day but only one reading of those I took measured 11.0 mmol/L.

Should I be celebrating or remain vigilent, after all, both my mum and maternal grandmother were Type 2 diabetics?

How soon should I be requesting another test?

Thanks in anticipation of your replies x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When my doctor put NFA on my file, that was it - and I was fully diabetic six months before then - I did request further testing, and got Hba1c done and I have had eye screening - but, although I think that you will always need to be vigilant where carbs are concerned, you might find that there is no great interest from the GP point of view.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, my first (as far as I know) test result was "38, No further action" as quoted by the nurse who rang me back after I called for the result.

Does that mean that I definitely don't have pre-diabetes? (Does this make me Pre-Prediabetic? ;) )
An HbA1c of 38 is non-diabetic.
Below 42 is non-diabetic. 42-47 is pre-diabetic, 48 and above is diabetic.
Your fbg readings in the 7s might be due to Dawn Phenomenon where your liver dumps stored glucose into your blood stream as you wake to get you going. It's fairly common, and non-diabetics get it too.
It depends on your gp surgery whether you get further HbA1c tests. I only get annual tests and I am T2 diabetic. Having 'No Further Action' on your records might suggest that you won't get any more HbA1c tests. But it will depend on your GP.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
my rising (fasting) BG was anything between 6.6 and 7.8, mostly over the 7.0 mark.
A fasting BG of over 7.0 on two separate tests is a diagnosis of diabetes. I assume these are your own tests? If they had been done by a GP I suspect you wouldn't be getting a NFA response. Stay vigilant, assume you are diabetic and take action appropriately. With a family history of T2, I would think getting a further test is particularly important. Good luck...

Reactions: Prem51

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was initially diagnosed as Pre-diabetic. I got my levels into the normal range.
However I still think of myself as Pre-diabetic and eat the same diet that reduced my blood sugars. If I return to my original diet I expect there is a good chance I would become diabetic. That is not a risk I am prepared to take.
I also still test, though no where near as often as when I started. I want to keep a check on how I am doing.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
An HbA1c of 38 is non-diabetic.
Below 42 is non-diabetic. 42-47 is pre-diabetic, 48 and above is diabetic.
Your fbg readings in the 7s might be due to Dawn Phenomenon where your liver dumps stored glucose into your blood stream as you wake to get you going. It's fairly common, and non-diabetics get it too.
It depends on your gp surgery whether you get further HbA1c tests. I only get annual tests and I am T2 diabetic. Having 'No Further Action' on your records might suggest that you won't get any more HbA1c tests. But it will depend on your GP.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I am T1 with an HbA1C of 42 and I am definitely diabetic in 3 short acting and 1 long acting injections daily. I work hard at my diet, exercise a lot and all other results are good I get the odd high reading (it happens!) but my averages are good. Proves there are no hard and fast rules with diabetes!

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Lynne C J the op hasn't said she is Type 1. As she mentioned there is Type 2 in her family I assumed she is concerned about becoming Type 2. Of course Type 1 diabetes would be a different matter.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You had a diagnosis of pre-diabetes, and when you were testing you had high fasting levels, and also say you never had a test above 11mmol/l. which is too high. This to me means you have a disturbed reaction to ingested glucose - carbs, and maybe always will have. You need to be vigilant with your eating and resume testing in a disciplined way or you run the risk of T2 diabetes. That is my opinion.

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope it’s ok to add a related query onto this thread. I’m hoping that when my HbA1c is re-tested that I will fall below the prediabetic range as I was at the lower end of it when diagnosed, and have made significant changes to my diet. I’m well aware though, that the new food regime is a change for life and that if I go back to my old eating habits that I’ll be heading back into pre or even full diabetic territory.
I’m curious to know, if your HbA1c no longer puts you in the prediabetic bracket as @Redshank describes, when answering health questionnaires, would you still tick the box that asks if you have any diabetic health conditions? E.g. at the dentist I wrote prediabetic on the form before my appointment.