Correct basal level

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I think I’ve sorted my morning highs, an extra 0.5units of tresiba (now 9.5 units @11pm). My BG from say 3am to 9am, seems steady without rising.

The interesting thing which I am still adjusting to though is how much less fiasp I now need for my daytime bolus hits. I used to take typically around 10units at mealtimes and a total of maybe 40-50units through the day (snacking and adjustments). I reckon with this extra 0.5 of tresiba my mealtime fiasp can be reduced to like maybe 8 and my daily total of say 50 units is reduced to about 30 (with a lot fewer adjustment dosages needed).

So for an extra 0.5 of tresiba I save 20units of fiasp per day!

I guess it’s about getting that basal insulin level optimized as best you can and with a lower flat line level, you’re bolus requirement become significantly less. Still experimenting on days of higher exercise and getting used to reprogramming my brain to take less bolus.

Just my findings anyway and wondered if others had experienced anything similar?

Reactions: Kim Possible

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hit the nail on the head.....

Basal needs to be adjusted right to the limit for your true bolus doses to come through......and to be effective....;)

Reactions: Zinadane

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One caveat - is this 0.5u discovery recent, or over a few weeks? As you might see from other threads, the weather is sending people's insulin requirements all over the place :)

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't think my situation is weather-related. The recent heatwave hasn't caused me noticeable problems tbh.
I'm just forwarding my scenario of such a small adjustment in basal giving me such a large reduction in bolus requirements.
As novorapidboi26 says 'Basal needs to be adjusted right to the limit for your true bolus doses to come through'
Obviously, handle this with caution, but for me just pushing that basal dose a little bit further than I have previously been comfortable with, has given me a big improvement in daily control.

Last edited: