Hypo

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haribo sweets for me - packed full of sugar and they don't mind being squished in pockets - I use the 'Squidgy Strawbs' - they're 5 carbs each so it's easy to work out how many I need (and 'easy' is good when you're going hypo).

D

Deleted Account

GlucoTabs (now called Lift).
I know how many carbs are in each one. They travel easily (unlike drinks) in plastic tubes (unlike dextrose which come in paper which gets wet). Not too expensive when bought in bulk from eBay. Taste ok but not so nice I am tempted to binge eat. And they are not sweets or candy so no one else wants them (I have had people at work ask me to share my sweets when I had a hypo).

Reactions: Marie 2

Smiler69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, I know this sounds silly.
I don’t have these things at home but will get some. I’ve just had a calipo lolly as this is sugary, do u think I should have something else?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t have these things at home but will get some. I’ve just had a calipo lolly as this is sugary, do u think I should have something else?
Calippo sounds like a perfect hypo treat in this weather! (I'm a bit jealous now...)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it pulls you out of a hypo as well as cools you down in this weather, I'd call it a win.

For me it was usually plain old boring dextro energy tabs, and later on I went for Oreo cookies. Though most people prefer jelly babies from what I understand, which I associate with Dr. Who and nothing else, as we don't have them here, haha. And maybe a drink of orange juice (juice hits the system quicker, so good if you're really, really low).
doc.jpg

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I found pineapple juice worked the quickest.

D

Deleted Account

I don’t have these things at home but will get some.
If your diabetes is treated with blood glucose lowering medication (such as insulin) you must have some hypo treatment with you at all times. AS our BG is affected by more than just what we put in our mouths, hypos could occur at any time and you don't want to be searching around your house/shops/office looking for something to treat it with.
And, if you drive in the UK, you need to inform the DVLA and make sure your know the rules for driving whilst on this medication

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. What do you guys eat when you have a hypo? X

Are you on blood glucose lowering medications? If you’re not, you don’t need to do anything, you liver will do it for you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Smiler69 's profile contains details of medications. I am assuming it is up to date.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Smiler69 's profile contains details of medications. I am assuming it is up to date.
Unable to see OPs profile - when I click I get the error message and the message that this member may limit who can read their profile ??

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okey dokey thanks.

Thata's one for @Smiler69 to decide upon; the choice between having her profile viewable, versus the repeated questioning.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just buy some Dextrose glucose tablets from Boots or any pharmacy. Cheap and easy. You don't really need any of the fancy stuff in my opinion.

Dambler77

Hi. What do you guys eat when you have a hypo? X
I use the old testing strip containers filled with glucose D (avail cheaply from supermarket). I have these stashed all over and my wife carries some as well. You can put it in water or use it dry like I do.