Poor rating for Freestyle Libre sensors

Mark-57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the subject of Freestyle Libre sensors, the real problem isn't one of aethestics concerning a small white plastic disc on ones upper arm. After all, who cares about comments issued by the ignorant and ill-informed public in general?
The real issue or criticism regarding these sensors, focuses on the quantity of lost sensors prized-off on passing a corner of a wall, door frames, entering & exiting cars on account of door pillars, etc..., The device is clearly not fit for purpose, as it is poory designed (probably intentionally engineered this way with the aim of generating more profit on account of the vast numbers lost by Diabetcs for the above stated reasons...).
A more sensible and practical design would be to have the sensors made of a flexible material with a tapered rim or edge, thereby improving the flawed proud-profile and averting the sensors being caught and pulled-off the arm.
It's high time the competition comes up with a more efficient and functional model...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mark-57 ,

My user experience is a little different with the Libre. I sport the sensor under arm & not lost one as of yet to the boisterousness of life..
Oddly, I fell into a hedge whilst wearing one & the grab of the brambles didn't touch it.

This is all just following the application instructions provided by Abbott.
I could just be lucky & have a skin type that allows it to stay put?
It certainly needs a fair bit of leverage when it's time to remove.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Mark-57 sorry you are having problems wit the Libre. I also wear mine under my arm, not lost one in 8 months. They stick to me like limpets and have to prise them off after 14 days. A phone call to Abbotts and they will replace any knock offs.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The key thing with the Libre is cost, if they made it impossible to prize off on a door frame it would probably have cost twice as much and it wouldn't have had 'mass-market' appeal - Abbott did(not sure if they still do) replace accidental removal up to a limit (obviously) which costs them but made sure it was within reach of 'everyone'.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've only lost one due to me knocking it off, it was the first one i tried (about 2 ish years ago) when I walked into teh corner of a big sharp edged wooden crate in a supermarket in France - whilst it was annoying that it knocked it off (there was only 1 day left on it anyways) I think it actually saved my arm from more damage from that crate :) (it still stung like a ******)

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used a few now and not had any come loose or knocked off yet.........in fact, they take a considerable effort to budge them when the time comes to change. I use mine with a MiaoMiao so the combo is even more susceptible to knocks and bashes, but I tend to cover them with Tegaderm usually. Currently just a piece of micropore across the MM and so far so good. its an external item on your skin, so at risk of knocks - need to be aware and careful

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't lost any sensors, adhesion is pretty good on my skin and I'm very clumsy. I stick it on my bingo wings, but it does get caught on clothing with straps and bras. Though I do like the sensors to be more skin like or thinner.

Reactions: Marie 2

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above. Firstly its easy enough to say it should be flexible, but imagine the engineering that requires, then how much that would cost to produce and market, I'm sure they thought of such ideas. They brought a device to the market that would do a specific job, at a specific price.

I'd want a mobile phone where the screen doesn't crack, it doesn't mean that its bad design or they haven't thought of that. It's what is as far as reasonably practicable and economical. Would you rather have the libre as is, or wait another 15 years for them to develop a flexible one?

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have yet to know a sensor off, although I did lose one in the swimming pool earlier this week. It came off within about 5 or ten minutes of me getting in the water.
For me, the biggest problem is the variability in accuracy. Some sensors/sites are perfect, others not so good, and some go doolally after a week. The accuracy would be the big thing for them to work on, as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
This is very unhelpful in a support of your rant (or not) sorry, but Libra is the single best thing since zero carb bread, the Libra is amazing!!!! I thank god (or whatever being looks after us) for this invention every day.

I never use the wipes supplied, just slap on the back of my arm as suggested, give it a little press for 10 seconds and it stays on like the afore mentioned limpet, it hurts removing it in fact, I am very active and do a manual job, it has never come loose or come off.

Sorry, felt the need to defend the little plastic miracle.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, felt the need to defend the little plastic miracle.

Then you may wish not to view this video...? (Contains graphic scenes of Libre cruelty.) ;)

Actually, it's posted to give us users a general idea what is sticking to our arm.
I'm not sure making the unit more flexible is feasable regarding the components used?

Reactions: Fenn

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
This is very unhelpful in a support of your rant (or not) sorry, but Libra is the single best thing since zero carb bread.

Have to disagree on this one ;) For me it is defo insulin :)

Reactions: Kim Possible

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think it’s a case of getting used to having something stuck to you and making allowances for it. A friend of mine had a boob job and kept walking into door frames until she got used to her larger frontage :D I managed to rip my Omnipod off the front of my thigh at the weekend by standing up too close to the table in a restaurant. It happens.

FWIW, I wear my Libre on my upper chest, it’s just as accurate and doesn’t get knocked or in the way, even with the MiaoMiao transmitter plonked on top. I have to prise it off after the two weeks is up. I’d knocked a couple off my arm before. But I go to fairly boisterous gigs, do zip wires, work as a first responder, and I haven’t lost one from the new spot.

Reactions: porl69 and Marie 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have had my Libre for a month now and I absolutely love it, I really do also, we were shown where to place the Libre, and under the arm is best. Mine sticks to me like a limpet too ( after a little bit of itching at first) so for me, I praise it.
It's my 30th year prezzie :happy:

Natt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Libre is a super useful tool, I think. We have had a different issue with it: it falls off after 2-3 hours from my son's arm. The first two times the nurse at the clinic put it on his arm and he went back to school, calling me after 2 hours to say it has fallen off during basketball game.Me and my husband both put sensors sucesfully, but, again they fell off.The worst thing now is that my son started to resent the Libre and doesn't want it on. We always put a patch on the sensor to try to fix it, but it didn't work.I will try to discuss it with a DN in September, but in the meantime, did someone experience something like this or has any ideas why does this happen with every single sensor?

Thanks.
Nat

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Then you may wish not to view this video...? (Contains graphic scenes of Libre cruelty.) ;)

Actually, it's posted to give us users a general idea what is sticking to our arm.
I'm not sure making the unit more flexible is feasable regarding the components used?

Is this worth a watch with the sound on and why have they bent that poor fsl in half?

Zero issues with fsl to date and enjoy making up entertaining answers to the What is that on your arm?' questions and also buying cute stickers from e bay to make it less boring...
What does everyone else say its for if not wishing to give a straight answer? (e.g. nicorettte patch, pregnancy test, Brexit or Reamin? etc._)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this worth a watch with the sound on and why have they bent that poor fsl in half?

Zero issues with fsl to date and enjoy making up entertaining answers to the What is that on your arm?' questions and also buying cute stickers from e bay to make it less boring...
What does everyone else say its for if not wishing to give a straight answer? (e.g. nicorettte patch, pregnancy test, Brexit or Reamin? etc._)

I think the guy had to bend the casing in order to access the PCB gubbins sealed inside?

What do I say my Libre is for..? To date it's not attracted too much interest. My mum has Altziemers & has asked the same question more than once in a given day spent with her. Her long term memory is reasonable.. "More civilised than peeing in a cup." ;) Kept us both entertained..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There are of course these handy little items. Or similar

Attachments

• sensor holder.jpg
    sensor holder.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 301

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
There are of course these handy little items. Or similar

Do you have a link to a site in the UK which sells them?

At the moment I am trying a Captain's Armband to provide additional protection.

At least I look as though I am in charge. :)

First two have been protected by Kinesiology tape, but this is getting very ragged by the end of the two weeks.

As for the OP, this seems like another one post wonder who is scatter gunning the Internet to vent, instead of asking for constructive advice.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I love my Freestyle libre. All of that data and trend arrows gets me excited. Who knew diabetes could be exciting.

Reactions: JohnEGreen