Type 2 Weight loss

Diabetesdave1

Hi there if you are already in remission the chances are you have lost a reasonable amount of weight to get there, if you carry on further and lose more weight and are then able to maintain that weight loss and not gain any back ,is it safe to say that you can pretty much eat what you want

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there if you are already in remission the chances are you have lost a reasonable amount of weight to get there, if you carry on further and lose more weight and are then able to maintain that weight loss and not gain any back ,is it safe to say that you can pretty much eat what you want
Ah, no... Because then you'd be eating carbs again, and you still have a genetic predisposition to insulin resistance/insensitivity... Start eating as you had before, and you'd be right back where you started. The cause of the T2 hasn't gone anywhere; you'll always be a T2, even when in remission. Just means you're a-symptomatic because you haven't put anything in your system it couldn't handle. Put it back in? Then there you go again.

Low carb is pretty much a for life thing. I'm sorry. Of course, you could opt to go for more medication instead, but that would, eventually, also mean complications and in all likelyhood, insulin down the line as well.

Diabetesdave1

I have to admit I lost my weight going the low carb route ,but I just wondered if anybody else had any success on a alternative diet .

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My husband went from an 8.4 A1C to a 6.2 A1C, he added a lot more veggies and salads to his diet, especially as snacks.. He also is a vegetarian and he does not low carb. He pays much more attention to what he is eating and quantities. He does take metformin and probably always will as he does like some junk food off and on. But as soon as he started metformin weight started dropping off. And he was one of the lucky ones that metformin doesn't bother him at all. Some people metformin works better on than others. I think it depends on the individual to what needs to be done that works for them.

Diabetesdave1

I will be honest I never eat a lot of vegetables and fruits before my diabetes so once diagnosed it wasn’t hard to cut them out.
I think my trouble was the wrong carbs and the amounts.

Iv been eating more broccoli lettuce and spinach since I was diagnosed and dropping the veg I do like ie the potatoes and carrots and the fruits.
I think I will start trying to introduce some of them but only if I get the right readings on the glucose meter

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m another who lost the weight, maintained that loss but still can’t eat the carbs without spikes. When I started out I hoped I’d go back to “normal”. Other than for a bit of convience I’ve no wish to anymore. I picked up some low carb noodle things the other day took one look and thought “stodge, ugh”. I like fresh, clean foods

I do wonder if type 2 has subtypes though. Some respond in a much stronger, more positive way to weight loss than others in terms of reducing insulin resistance, carb tolerance, eliminating dawn phenomenon etc and it’s not particularly related to how high hb1ac started out either. Maybe that’s the genetics element?

Diabetesdave1

This diabetes there’s a lot more to it then meets the eye I find it very interesting.
What I like about this site is your talking to people who have knowledge from personal experience and you can’t beat that.

Reactions: copilost

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
In Fruits, start with berries, they won't usually bother your sugars as easily. With veggies start with Zucchini, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower are usually all great.

You also need to be aware that if you are on a low carb diet, carbs will more easily affect you than when you aren't on a low carb diet. Low carb diets also vary in how many carbs people decide is right for them and how strict of a level works for you.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

No weight loss here as I didn’t need to but a definite no! Any deviation from 20g or fewer and My BG really knows about it.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been able to keep my glucose levels to low end of pre-diabetic and maintain my lower weight for over five years now by eating an LCHF/ketogenic diet.. It's actually been this reduction in carbs that's kept my glucose levels where they are as I'm still rather overweight - levels actually came right down and stabilized very quickly before I even began to lose any weight.

I can and do eat whatever I want but I've chosen to permanently avoid all the high carb stuff that caused my problems in the first place... :D As I have absolutely no desire at all to change my LCHF style of eating anyway continuing with it indefinitely isn't an issue for me - and it's much closer to my original and preferred diet than my husband's ideas of what's "edibly" acceptable.

Robbity

PS I've not been prescribed metformin for the last couple of years...

Reactions: copilost