Lantus to Tresiba

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi can anyone tell me how they have found the change to Tresiba from lantus. I hear it’s a lot more steady and less sting. I’m also interested to know about the flexibility side of things when making adjustments as I know it tends to last longer than lantus. Thank you

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not switched, but am looking to soon. The way I see it:
Tresiba is more stable than Lantus, so get steadier levels for the day.
It lasts longer, so is more effective on 1 injection a day than Lantus.
However as it lasts longer, it takes more days for changes to stabalise, so if exercise changes drastically day to day it may not be ideal.
You cannot get 'Lantus lows' using Tresiba.
I can use the same pens as my Fiasp (Novopen echo) so easier for carrying around and spares etc (This is obvs personal to me)

Then there's the long standing concern regarding Lantus and causing cancer (although this is unproven as far as I know).

Reactions: Gemmablower

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi unfortunately I can't comment on a switch as I have no experience with any other basal as I was put straight onto Tresiba at diagnosis

I find it very effective at keeping me stable in the absence of food and also I haven't had it sting at all, mine goes into my bum cheek (sorry for the tmi!)

The general procedure for adjustments in doses is to wait 3 days after each adjustment to see any differences, therefore it isn't the best if your activity levels aren't relatively similar in the way as one day if you do too much you might be more likely to hypo
xx

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I recently changed to Tresiba (April maybe), I've found that I don't get lows at about 3am anymore which is definitely good (that's the main reason I wanted to change) - yes a little more inflexible but then I didn't often change mine anyways, the only times I really need to is when its too stinking hot (like the last few days).

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently changed to Tresiba (April maybe), I've found that I don't get lows at about 3am anymore which is definitely good (that's the main reason I wanted to change) - yes a little more inflexible but then I didn't often change mine anyways, the only times I really need to is when its too stinking hot (like the last few days).
We don't often change apart from school holidays and if needing an increase. I find that Lantus also takes 3 days to see any change when increasing doses but if reducing lantus then the change Happens straight away, so would you say tresiba works the same in that aspect or when you reduce tresiba it it also takes 3 days?

Last edited:

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not switched, but am looking to soon. The way I see it:
Tresiba is more stable than Lantus, so get steadier levels for the day.
It lasts longer, so is more effective on 1 injection a day than Lantus.
However as it lasts longer, it takes more days for changes to stabalise, so if exercise changes drastically day to day it may not be ideal.
You cannot get 'Lantus lows' using Tresiba.
I can use the same pens as my Fiasp (Novopen echo) so easier for carrying around and spares etc (This is obvs personal to me)

Then there's the long standing concern regarding Lantus and causing cancer (although this is unproven as far as I know).
thank you but what do you mean by lantus lows? That drag?

Last edited:

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you but what do you mean by lantus lows? That drag?

Its rare, but it does happen as it has with me and others on here (was probably the scariest moment of my diabetic journey). If Lantus hits a blood vessel, it can act as fast acting and cause sever hypoglyceamia. For example if you take 15 units, all this can act as fast acting, causing severe lows. This is unique to Lantus in how it works, it does not occur with other long lasting insulin like Tresiba.

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its rare, but it does happen as it has with me and others on here (was probably the scariest moment of my diabetic journey). If Lantus hits a blood vessel, it can act as fast acting and cause sever hypoglyceamia. For example if you take 15 units, all this can act as fast acting, causing severe lows. This is unique to Lantus in how it works, it does not occur with other long lasting insulin like Tresiba.
I never knew this thank you x

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi can I ask you all when reducing tresiba how long do you find it takes to effect your glucose levels x

Lynne211

hi can anyone tell me how they have found the change to Tresiba from lantus. I hear it’s a lot more steady and less sting. I’m also interested to know about the flexibility side of things when making adjustments as I know it tends to last longer than lantus. Thank you
I've recently switched, per my Endo's recommendations, from Levemir to Tresiba and honestly am having a horrible time with this. It stays in the system 36 hours so the titrating up and down seems to take forever to take effect, too. I'm going really high with meals, too....so I'm not sure I'm not taking enough of it has some effect on my bolus novolog. So far, this stuff sucks...just saying. But I had a lot of hypos on levemir, I'm very small petite and very insulin sensitive so my Endo demands I take this, at least give it a good try as it's supposed to not cause as many hypos, especially compared to Lantus.

Lynne211

this is an untrue statement

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
this is an untrue statement

I disagree. We have had several forum members attest to severe hypoglycemic events when using Glargine based insulin.

Glargine 'pools' under the skin and can sometimes disperse quickly behaving like a rapid acting insulin.

Direct injection into a blood vessel or muscle tissue may also speed up its activity.

The behaviour of Glargine is now becoming better understood by the medical community which is one of the reasons the UK health service now recommends Detemir type insulin as the first choice for use as a basal.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed from Lantus to Tresiba in Feb 2018 and I wouldn't change back if you paid me!

I was getting really bad muscle aches, sometimes so bad they were stopping me eating. I also found that Lantus would peak about 4 hours after I took it - so the consultant changes to a.m. injection because I was getting overnight hypos.

The problem with that was I'd go low in the morning when I was trying to feed 2 old horses, feel rough for the rest of the day but wake up high because it hasn't got a 24 hour profile.

The DN changed me to Tresiba because of the hypo problems on Lantus and within a week all my muscle problems vanished too. It turns out it is an uncommon side effect of Lantus.

Tresiba has a mild peak at about 12 hours but is really stable. I've been loads better on it.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was getting really bad muscle aches, sometimes so bad they were stopping me eating. I also found that Lantus would peak about 4 hours after I took it -
The DN changed me to Tresiba because of the hypo problems on Lantus and within a week all my muscle problems vanished too. It turns out it is an uncommon side effect of Lantus.

I had muscle pains too. Wouldn't mind betting it's more common than the 1/10,000 people that the manufacturers claim.

bhushan7117

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had muscle pains too. Wouldn't mind betting it's more common than the 1/10,000 people that the manufacturers claim.
Muscle pain with lantus or tresiba? I am on tresiba since nearly 2 yr. I am having muscle ache with tresiba.