Type 2 Help! Going out tonight.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight I’m going out to a small community centre which has a bar, not as well stocked as a pub. Normally I just drink a pint of full fat coke and accept that my sugars will be up. Since I’ve started working on adjusting my diet I’ve avoided going out so I don’t get tempted, but I don’t want diabetes to take my freedom. Tonight I want to go out meet up with friends and have a good time, I don’t drink alcohol due to seizures, and I can’t have diet drinks or sweeteners because it triggers migraines. Other than appearing a right dork and asking for a glass of water, I don’t know what other things I could drink.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Soda water with lots of ice will cut it in this weather and suck up feeling like a dork! A pint of full fat coke will actually harm your body and your freedom will be even more curtailed.

I don’t drink either, makes people around me squirm but that’s their problem, they are the ones that don’t know how to have a cracking evening without their alcohol fix.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Tonight I’m going out to a small community centre which has a bar, not as well stocked as a pub. Normally I just drink a pint of full fat coke and accept that my sugars will be up. Since I’ve started working on adjusting my diet I’ve avoided going out so I don’t get tempted, but I don’t want diabetes to take my freedom. Tonight I want to go out meet up with friends and have a good time, I don’t drink alcohol due to seizures, and I can’t have diet drinks or sweeteners because it triggers migraines. Other than appearing a right dork and asking for a glass of water, I don’t know what other things I could drink.
Rather look like a dork and be healthy at the end of the day! They’re your friends and they should understand :cat:

Reactions: Antje77

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t drink and won’t have diet drinks unless I can see the bottle or can. Sparkling water with a piece of fresh lime, or some lime juice squeezed into it is great - and very refreshing in the heat.

No need to pretend it’s alcohol. Not drinking is perfectly fine.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...I usually just go for fizzy water, if possible with a slice of lemon, or some nice tea... Do I get comments at parties? Sometimes. I just say I'm diabetic and don't drink. And believe it or not, that's usually the end of it. Just shrug and sip on.

Reactions: Goonergal