Keeping cool

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies - follow up question please! Do i need a waterproof liner for a Frío bag when using a junior star pen? It’s a hollow pen to put vials of APIDRA and others in. It seems metallic.
Frío simply say to use a liner with metal pens, but I don’t know if it is metal and the liner an extra expense I may not need.
Thanks

I’m type 1 slow burn (apparently) as I was misdiagnosed as type 2 then they eventually realised that I was type 1. Managed it with low carb, no insulin for 2 years.
Anyway, am now on Abasaglar and Apidra and am off on holiday to the sun soon. I’ve just realised that Apidra once in-use should be kept below 25 degrees, whereas Abasaglar is ok up to 30 degrees. What do people do to keep them cool? Do the Frio packs work? Another thing I just thought of is my Aviva BG meter and the mobile cassettes that u need for it. Can you keep these in a Frio pack too? Thanks in advance.
I should add that our room has air con but I’ll be heading out and about so need to take insulin with me

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I've heard from other fellow diabetics that Frio bags do work, you can keep your current pens etc in it and use another for the unused supply. I cannot comment about your BG meter, however you have to bear in mind your test strips, they have a limit on temperature too.

D

Deleted Account

Another vote for Frio.
However, even with Frio, I encourage you not to become complacent - do not leave your Frio bags in direct sunlight or in a hot car for a few hours.
I have taken my Frio around the world (and probably back again) in countries and on holidays where there is no access to fridges or cold water. Frio kept my insulin cool in my backpack at all times.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I live in Australia and we can go weeks where it never goes below 25c at night and over 35c during the day with the insides of cars getting way over 55c. I have never had s problem keeping insulin on me, just don’t leave it in the car if the car is in the sun. We get 25pens on one prescription so the excess gets stored in the fridge and one pen per insulin type out at a time.