Hello From A Newly Diagnosed Type 1

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

Thought I'd stop by and say hello I've been reading a lot of threads and they have been very informative!

Yesterday I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic by my GP. I am 27 and have a BMI of 22. My HbA1c came back at 105 and my fasting glucose level was 10.6 (I ended up having to fast for 18 hours because of having to work before the test, so not sure if that makes any difference?)

My random glucose test yesterday was 19.6 but I had 0 ketones.

The GP has written an urgent referral for the diabetes clinic so God knows how long that will take?!

He said that I have to go straight to hospital if I feel even a little unwell. I feel absolutely exhausted today but I think the heat definitely isn't helping!

I'm feeling very overwhelmed and quite anxious at the moment so fingers crossed the referral comes through quickly.

Jx

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.

Welcome to the club! I'm surprised your GP didn't send you straight to hospital. Untreated t1d is not something to be messed with. Do you have any ketone testing strips?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At least your GP didn't just assume T2 (like mine did - although I was same age and bmi as you).

Sounds as though it's been diagnosed quite early, you can go down hill quite quickly so don't mess about if you do feel unwell.

What prompted the visit to the doctors?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can I suggest that you call the diabetes clinic at the hospital ASAP and ask for their advice. You need to start insulin if you’re type one. Oh, and welcome to the club none of us wanted to join x

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have any ketone strips, I was just sent on my way after being told to cut out all sugar in the meantime. He was perplexed that I still feel pretty good in myself ‍♀️

I went to get tested as I initially had recurrent thrush and absolutely no reason for it. I also started getting excessively thirsty and am peeing like I have the bladder of a 90 year old! I have started getting a lot of headaches as well which I have never suffered with before. This all started around January time.

I was thinking about calling the clinic for their advice. I am a Prison Officer and am concerned about being at work if I have a funny turn - it's both a security and safety risk to me!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're unlikely to have a 'funny turn' as in the classic diabetes sense of a hypo, you will gradually feel worse and worse weight will drop off you like a stone (pun?!?) and you will eventually just want to sleep, drink and pee all the time (all at the same time!), but judging by your last update I'd go with Mel and call the diabetes clinic now or even walk in to A&E sooner rather than later.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @TIGERLILY1991 and welcome to the club no one really wants to be in.
WOW I am surprised your GP did not send you into hospital straight away! I would be taking a trip to A&E or to your local diabetes center and seeing someone and let them know that your GP has diagnosed you Type 1 diabetic!

Reactions: ert

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just spoken to the clinic, I was on their list to call this afternoon. They have booked me in for Friday morning so not too much longer to wait!
Excellent. I too felt fine with undiagnosed T1 - obviously I'd got used to my body running with high sugar levels.

Just be aware that you might not feel so great when they start you on insulin and your body comes back to normal. It's normal for your eyes to go blurry too. All will stabilise in time and thankfully it sounds like your GP was on the ball

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad you're seeing someone at the hospital clinic soon. The sooner you can get treatment, the less damage gets done. You were lucky that your GP referred you straight away. In the meantime, make sure you don't get dehydrated. As you said you had been reading lots of info on the forum, you are definitely making a good start. Best wishes from me.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @TIGERLILY1991 if you feel worse, vomit or have trouble breathing then call 999 for quick assistance as you may quickly need insulin. Otherwise hang on on there until Fri.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

Thought I'd stop by and say hello I've been reading a lot of threads and they have been very informative!

Yesterday I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic by my GP. I am 27 and have a BMI of 22. My HbA1c came back at 105 and my fasting glucose level was 10.6 (I ended up having to fast for 18 hours because of having to work before the test, so not sure if that makes any difference?)

My random glucose test yesterday was 19.6 but I had 0 ketones.

The GP has written an urgent referral for the diabetes clinic so God knows how long that will take?!

He said that I have to go straight to hospital if I feel even a little unwell. I feel absolutely exhausted today but I think the heat definitely isn't helping!

I'm feeling very overwhelmed and quite anxious at the moment so fingers crossed the referral comes through quickly.

Jx
Welcome!

My story was almost exactly the same as yours - similar age, bmi and hba1c. It takes time to get t down but honestly I feel so much better. It only gets better from here :)

Reactions: Marie 2

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all! I am feeling anxious about the prospect of injecting myself, but I'm sure I'll get used to it pretty quickly. I will update you on what the clinic says and what I get put on.

Thanks again for making me welcome and for your advice!

Jx

Reactions: Marie 2

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, lots of water and reduce all carbs - not just sugar. You will soon get used to injecting - a nuisance rather than a problem.

Reactions: TIGERLILY1991
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the club we would rather not belong to. I hope all goes well with your appointment, but if you feel worse then ring 111 for help and advice, especially in this heat too.
Take care

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had my first appointment today. I've been put on 4 injections a day - 3x fast acting (Humalog) with meals and 1x slow release (Abasaglar) at bedtime. They've started me on a low dose and I'm having a review on monday to potentially up it.

I had a fair amount of ketones in my urine so they said it's been caught just in time! They've given me a Freestyle Optium Neo tester as it does BG and Ketones.

Because of the type of job I have they've told me I'll need 2-3 weeks off also been told not to drive for a week which is a pain!

I have to say though the team were fantastic and made me feel very calm about the whole thing! Also didnt overload me with too much information!

So, let's do this

Jx

Reactions: Antje77 and WuTwo

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've had my first appointment today. I've been put on 4 injections a day - 3x fast acting (Humalog) with meals and 1x slow release (Abasaglar) at bedtime. They've started me on a low dose and I'm having a review on monday to potentially up it.

I had a fair amount of ketones in my urine so they said it's been caught just in time! They've given me a Freestyle Optium Neo tester as it does BG and Ketones.

Because of the type of job I have they've told me I'll need 2-3 weeks off also been told not to drive for a week which is a pain!

I have to say though the team were fantastic and made me feel very calm about the whole thing! Also didnt overload me with too much information!

So, let's do this

Jx
I’m so glad you’ve been seen and got some insulin, hopefully you’ll start to feel better soon. Do come and join us on the Type 1 Stars thread, it’s awesome, and we’ll help and support you as much as you want ❤️

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m so glad you’ve been seen and got some insulin, hopefully you’ll start to feel better soon. Do come and join us on the Type 1 Stars thread, it’s awesome, and we’ll help and support you as much as you want ❤️

Thank you! I will definitely check it out x