Type 1'stars R Us

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @SueJB dont be too hard on yourself. Your figures generally seem pretty decent

With having the Libre for about a year and my pump for 6 months my control has improved dramatically over past year. However on a regular basis I still have readings above 10, mainly spikes after breakfast. If I have a curry, my overnight BG always seem to hit 12 + no matter how much insulin I take and dual bolus for

My Libre is showing me as having an average BG of 8.1 for last 90 days. To many o here that will be high but I am guessing that this will have been around 10 + over the previous number of years.

My Hba1C about 15 months ago was 69. I recently downloaded my Libre data and this is giving me a predicted Hba1C of 51, so an improvement of about 20%, which I am over the moon about. Yes there is room for improvement but baby steps.

I think as I was always high for most of my 37 +years, I am happy and feel OK with a BG of 7, that is my happy place. When I drop to a BG of around 4, in the past I would panic, if I was outside I would freak out with such a low BG. Getting to handle it a bit better now
Ta. @smc4761 I freak all the time and don't know when to chill and jut say that's the way of Madam. I take my hat off to everyone who've been dealing with this condition for a life time. Well done you all.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have just found the last of those biscuits and alas I now find out that it was only a 1 month and couple of weeks past its best before date :( so not really worth running the calculation on :(

I'm sorry but that made me giggle, because the other day I went from 4.1 to 18.9 back to 2.6 in the space of about 4 hours, so even us old timers get it wrong at times :)
You are doing fine and the trick is not to try and compare what others are doing just try and stick between 4.0 and 10.0 and you should be fine.
Yes some of us run a very tight ship, BUT that is only after many years of experimentation and getting it wrong before they have arrived at this point. :)
Thanks @Knikki apart from liking your avatar and open admission for your penchant for biscuits and cake you make me laugh and your comments are steadying. Thanks

Reactions: Marie 2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
3.8, 8.3? You're barely trying :)

I mentioned the other day that I set off for a bike ride at over 15. Finished the ride at 4.5, so I say I got that just about right.
The day after I didn't eat enough early enough before setting off, and was below 3 while on a run. That turned into a sit then walk for a while...

Last night it chose to misbehave and run at 11 all night - recently it's been dropping, but not last night.

And despite all these theoretically terrible things, I think I'm actually doing pretty well. HbA1c is pretty good, it's not swinging about massively uncontrolledly (despite the fact I get highs and lows), so if you're doing better than that, I don't think there's anything to worry about :)

(When I was first diagnosed, the doctor gave me the meter and told me not to put too much store into what it said, the results were basically random. Now I've always considered that that wasn't a terribly helpful thing to say, and I did take notice of the results and treated appropriately, but I do wonder if he was trying to encourage me to not be obsessive about it, not knowing that I'm too lazy to be obsessive)
Spot on @evilclive it is to be obsessive and this comes in wave. Sometimes all's well and I'm scooting along with no concerns then wallop! Thanks for your kind words

Reactions: Knikki

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB I'm currently prodding diabetes with strawberries, like "Hey diabetes, you hungry? I have strawberries". It's indeed a beast that needs constant attention, advice, love, food, medication and a big hug. It's not perfect, it has its moments, tantrums, sighs, stress and anger but we get through it.
I'm not perfect, I've seen some T1's work extremely hard to get within their libre range but we manage it to the best of our ability. You're doing brillantly, :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wow 18 years, amazing!! 2 for me has been hard but thanks for the support @Mel dCP
I’ve had it for 20 years now - it’s been wildly uncontrolled for most of that time, hence the 18. I was fantastic at diabetes when I was pregnant, mostly because I was so busy puking I only ate the occasional strawberry and potato - I actually lost half a stone, but my HbA1c was 5.4% (36). And since I adopted my current way of eating, combined with the tech, I’ve finally got to grips with it - accepting it rather than fighting it seems to have been key as well. I spent too long resenting it, trying to ignore it and hoping it would go away, but I’ve realised that I have to work with it. It’s a PITA but it won’t beat me. And we're all here for you if you want to vent, rant and rage at now unfair it is, because it is. You’ll nail it, promise ❤️

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
3.8, 8.3? You're barely trying :)

I mentioned the other day that I set off for a bike ride at over 15. Finished the ride at 4.5, so I say I got that just about right.
The day after I didn't eat enough early enough before setting off, and was below 3 while on a run. That turned into a sit then walk for a while...

Last night it chose to misbehave and run at 11 all night - recently it's been dropping, but not last night.

And despite all these theoretically terrible things, I think I'm actually doing pretty well. HbA1c is pretty good, it's not swinging about massively uncontrolledly (despite the fact I get highs and lows), so if you're doing better than that, I don't think there's anything to worry about :)

(When I was first diagnosed, the doctor gave me the meter and told me not to put too much store into what it said, the results were basically random. Now I've always considered that that wasn't a terribly helpful thing to say, and I did take notice of the results and treated appropriately, but I do wonder if he was trying to encourage me to not be obsessive about it, not knowing that I'm too lazy to be obsessive)
Spot on @evilclive it is to be obsessive and this comes in wave. Sometimes aal's well and
@SueJB . You’re doing brilliantly. Not because of how you compare along side others but because you are getting up every morning, posting on here, living your life and posting some impressive numbers:)
We all have T1 but T1 is unique to us as individuals. Don’t ever judge your control alongside others, it’s pointless and serves no purpose.
Having targets we want to achieve is great for control but if it becomes obsessive it can do more harm than good.
Lovely thoughts @therower I want to keep in range and then sometimes I just said sod it and have some crisps!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Friends, I have a question. Do you guys spend a lot of money at the dentist? NHS or private? I haven't registered myself since I moved and I think it is time to give a dentist a visit. But either way it is going to cost some monies and with my situation, I don't have funds. NHS isn't super expensive, private will be an arm, a leg and a kidney. I'm quite self conscious about my teeth, so I think it's time to go. I have no problems, I'm not in pain or need any teeth out, just a routine clean.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I’ve had it for 20 years now - it’s been wildly uncontrolled for most of that time, hence the 18. I was fantastic at diabetes when I was pregnant, mostly because I was so busy puking I only ate the occasional strawberry and potato - I actually lost half a stone, but my HbA1c was 5.4% (36). And since I adopted my current way of eating, combined with the tech, I’ve finally got to grips with it - accepting it rather than fighting it seems to have been key as well. I spent too long resenting it, trying to ignore it and hoping it would go away, but I’ve realised that I have to work with it. It’s a PITA but it won’t beat me. And we're all here for you if you want to vent, rant and rage at now unfair it is, because it is. You’ll nail it, promise ❤️
Thanks @Mel dCP. You're brilliant and I admire your tenacity.Since being diagnosed I've gone through a whole range of emotions and I still think I'm in denial or they got it wrong. I'd just come back from living in Athens and I wasn't eating,practically starving, weight loss, hair loss so I'm still not convinced I'm T1 and the insulin has made me gain 12 k not good for a short ar**. I'm not a fan of spuds or rice or cake and prefer veg,meat, fish. I do so love fruit apart from mango which is the devils own. I hate having to eat to feed Madam when I'm not hungry!! How am I supposed to keep within range and lose weight? rhetorical question

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How am I supposed to keep within range and lose weight?
MyCatted if I know, I’ve been struggling with it for ages. I know it was rhetorical, but that’s my best answer!

I genuinely think we go through the actual stages of grief with a diagnosis like this - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally acceptance. It can happen quickly, in my case it’s taken so, so long - and didn’t really happen until I no longer had to finger prick so much. That had become an almost insurmountable obstacle for me, and I’d go literally moths without testing. The stages can overlap too, I was doing denial and anger at the same time for quite a while. Peer support from (mainly) the T1stars has been one of the biggest things that’s helped. Keep talking to us, lovely. You’re doing great x

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
MyCatted if I know, I’ve been struggling with it for ages. I know it was rhetorical, but that’s my best answer!

I genuinely think we go through the actual stages of grief with a diagnosis like this - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally acceptance. It can happen quickly, in my case it’s taken so, so long - and didn’t really happen until I no longer had to finger prick so much. That had become an almost insurmountable obstacle for me, and I’d go literally moths without testing. The stages can overlap too, I was doing denial and anger at the same time for quite a while. Peer support from (mainly) the T1stars has been one of the biggest things that’s helped. Keep talking to us, lovely. You’re doing great x
Thanks @Mel dCP and everyone of you who writes kind words. The thing that scares me most is having to bolus and getting it right. I seriously worry that if I don't get the dose right / wait the require 15mins that I'm going to fall flat on my big fat ar** and end up in A&E. About to inject the biggest Novoslug ever for me, hope it works out.... never done this large dose before!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @Mel dCP and everyone of you who writes kind words. The thing that scares me most is having to bolus and getting it right. I seriously worry that if I don't get the dose right / wait the require 15mins that I'm going to fall flat on my big fat ar** and end up in A&E. About to inject the biggest Novoslug ever for me, hope it works out.... never done this large dose before!!
How much are you taking? Just keep hypo kit on you, if you’re unsure x

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to keep in range and then sometimes I just said sod it and have some crisps!

It can be a right pain. Eg I can't just crash out for the night, because I'm going to have to take care of food and/or insulin during that time. Having to inject if I want to pig too (though that's actually good for me too, stops me pigging :) ). Running low during walks is annoying. Having to remember everything. Sometimes the little things like that descend on me for a bit and I sulk slightly to myself for a couple of hours. But it passes, and I'm not actually prevented from doing anything. And being forced to look after my food is actually useful too.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've had T1D for almost 43 years now. When I first had it I had urine tests to rely on, so the only way to tell if I wasn't hypo was by how I felt. When I look I back I wonder how anyone survived, but people did.

I'm not trying to suggest that people have it easy now, but managing it is partly instinctive, and how you feel is massively important, and that develops over time. If you fear you're going to take too much, and aren't comfortable with it, then don't take more than you feel comfortable with. Just correct later, and then next time you might feel more able to take more if you're eating more carbs.

You have to trust your own ability to feel when it's going right, and when it isn't. You don't want to constantly fear failure, you need to develop a sense that you can cope with it. I'm sure you can, but you need to feel that you can.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I seriously worry that if I don't get the dose right / wait the require 15mins that I'm going to fall flat on my big fat ar** and end up in A&E. About to inject the biggest Novoslug ever for me, hope it works out.... never done this large dose before!!
Check your bg a couple of times more so you know what way your heading!
Nothing wrong with eating something yummy (crisps?) if you see you're heading down quicker than you thought. I find it much easier to correct a lowering bg with just a couple of crisps (spoons of icecream/quarter of a slice of bread/whatever you fancy) to prevent the hypo than to wait for the hypo to be there. For one, whan the hypo is there, there's no subtle correcting anymore as bg needs going up now, and second, I find it much easier to take only a little of carbs when my brain still functions right. And they can be slow acting carbs too, when not hypo yet.

I'll have my fingers crossed you dosed just right :)

Reactions: hh1

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok lovely people.
Favourite crisps past or present??????????? ( let’s include wheat, savoury, corn snacks )

1. Hula hoops.
2. Cool Doritos.
3. Walkers ready salted.
Notable mentions. Mc Coys cheddar and onion. Mini Cheddars.

Reactions: Juicyj and Knikki

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok lovely people.
Favourite crisps past or present??????????? ( let’s include wheat, savoury, corn snacks )

1. Hula hoops.
2. Cool Doritos.
3. Walkers ready salted.
Notable mentions. Mc Coys cheddar and onion. Mini Cheddars.

Salt and vinegar crisps or sticks
Pom bears ready salted
Walkers ready salted :D

Reactions: therower

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry truly boring here. Just Seabrooks plain ready salted.
@SueJB my numbers over the past few days have been off the wall bonkers. As low as 2 and as high as 18. I’m blaming the weather. I’ve tried to address as best I can but quite frankly I’m sure it’ll settle when the weather does, so have just gone with the flow. Two weeks ago I had level 6s for days. Have I done anything different, no! Am I doing my best, yes! That is all we can do. Beating ourselves up should not be on the agenda. Your numbers are very good anyway.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol I love a good teabag. In my tea lol
Morning teabags

It was a tad warm yesterday but, thankfully, I am pretty resilient.
After spending the whole day inside away from the heat, I decided I was going stir crazy by 4:30 yesterday afternoon so popped out for a little amble. I got home 2 hours later after a beautiful walk through the meadows, up the hills, into the "quiet garden" by the church, along the "quiet lane" (there are signs which confirm it is "quiet"), ... It is an area I know reasonably well but not all the footpaths so, yesterday, I followed any footpath sign across a field which I hadn't traversed before.
Then, when I got home, we had a lovely dinner: baked cod with fennel and tomato accompanied by a glass of homemade lemonade.

The heat wasn't too bad during the night so I was happy to wake on 3.9. It was strange not having my phone beside the bed to swipe the Libre but I think it's good for me not to become reliant on technology ... so says someone whose job relies on as many people as possible using tech!

@Antje77 those rabbits are gorgeous. I hope they don't find their way into your beautiful oven.

Better go - I her the patter of raindrops on the open velux windows.