Husband has newly diagnosed diabetes

Waterlady

Hi everyone

So last week my husband went to the doctors about something, she stated that it could indicate diabetes so booked in a blood test for the Wednesday just gone. Didn’t think much of it, but they rang first thing yesterday advising he go a see the diabetes nurse as he had high blood glucose. This obviously came as a bit of a shock. Once there we were told his Hbca1 was 93, she then did the finger prick test and that was 14.1 and he hadn’t eaten anything since the day before. He was prescribed Metformin and given a blood glucose test to keep an eye on it, he also had another blood test to determine whether its type 1 or type 2.

Obviously this happened quite fast and we aren’t really sure how to approach it yet. He has another appointment next week, I’m assuming he’ll be referred to a dietician? In the mean time, is there anything food-wise that he should avoid? Or can he still eat pretty much anything? He’s been reading labels since and avoiding high sugar/processed foods. I’ve looked around at info, but it’s just so much to take in, is there anything that maybe simplifies it all so it’s easier to understand?

Also any tips/advice on how to support/help him I would be so grateful for

Thank you x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Waterlady and welcome! First let me thank you for supporting your husband by joining this forum and wanting to help him.
Here is a link to our useful info:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Metformin is a mild drug and only helps a tiny bit, diet is the key. Have a read of the info and you’ll see it is carbohydrates that matter not just sugars. Get your husband to concentrate on the carb count of foods rather than just sugars, so cutting down drastically or eliminating bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc.. is the way to go too.
He’s lucky to be given a testing kit but he needs to use it methodically, testing right before a meal and two hours afterwards will help him learn what foods/meals are spiking his blood sugar levels.
Once you’ve had a read around the forum, come back with any questions.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Waterlady

Hi Rachox! Thank you for your reply

I’ve had a read of the link, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! So is it right that eating mainly whole meal carbs is better than white carbs? He does this anyway, so maybe cutting them down would be beneficial? What about natural sugars? E.g. in fruits, honey etc? He is also classed as slightly overweight, so would losing weight also help?

Oh yes he is doing that with the testing kit, it has a book with it to document this too. It was just a bit mad yesterday, he was given of all this and hardly any information, they did say that they didn’t want to overload us too much and would discuss more next week, but we are just a bit stuck.

Thank you so much!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

So last week my husband went to the doctors about something, she stated that it could indicate diabetes so booked in a blood test for the Wednesday just gone. Didn’t think much of it, but they rang first thing yesterday advising he go a see the diabetes nurse as he had high blood glucose. This obviously came as a bit of a shock. Once there we were told his Hbca1 was 93, she then did the finger prick test and that was 14.1 and he hadn’t eaten anything since the day before. He was prescribed Metformin and given a blood glucose test to keep an eye on it, he also had another blood test to determine whether its type 1 or type 2.

Obviously this happened quite fast and we aren’t really sure how to approach it yet. He has another appointment next week, I’m assuming he’ll be referred to a dietician? In the mean time, is there anything food-wise that he should avoid? Or can he still eat pretty much anything? He’s been reading labels since and avoiding high sugar/processed foods. I’ve looked around at info, but it’s just so much to take in, is there anything that maybe simplifies it all so it’s easier to understand?

Also any tips/advice on how to support/help him I would be so grateful for

Thank you x

What a great support system you are for hubby. Onwards and upwards from here on in.

You have been guided well so far. I will just add this:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox! Thank you for your reply

I’ve had a read of the link, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! So is it right that eating mainly whole meal carbs is better than white carbs? He does this anyway, so maybe cutting them down would be beneficial? What about natural sugars? E.g. in fruits, honey etc? He is also classed as slightly overweight, so would losing weight also help?

Oh yes he is doing that with the testing kit, it has a book with it to document this too. It was just a bit mad yesterday, he was given of all this and hardly any information, they did say that they didn’t want to overload us too much and would discuss more next week, but we are just a bit stuck.

Thank you so much!
I’m afraid all carbs whether brown or white aren’t generally tolerated well by Type 2s and sugar is sugar whether natural or not, I just stick to berries if I want fruit as they are the lowest in carbs. He’ll learn from his testing. Here is a link to a low carb diet for beginners. Diet Dr is a very good site for info and recipes:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
There is loads of info available without taking out the subscription.
A low carb diet is an excellent and easy way to lose weight, as you can see from my avatar picture :)

Reactions: Antje77

Waterlady

Rachox Thank you for that, will check it out properly tomorrow! I’ve decided to eat what he eats so he doesn’t feel so bad about it, he’s a big foodie so he’s a bit gutted to have to cut out a big variety of food.

We aren’t sure what type he is yet, but most likely is type 2 as his Dad also has this. Just a bit of a shock as he’s 27 and I always thought it was something that was diagnosed after 40! But I’ve recently learnt this obviously isn’t the case.

I know it’s early days, but if he was to reverse this (remission), as I’ve read is possible but also doesn’t happen overnight, is it still best that he continues to eat low carb etc?

Ah you look fab!

Thank you

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it’s early days, but if he was to reverse this (remission), as I’ve read is possible but also doesn’t happen overnight, is it still best that he continues to eat low carb etc?

Ah you look fab!

Thank you

I got down to non diabetic numbers with in four months by low carbing. That was getting on for two years ago now, but I still eat low carb to maintain this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Waterlady ,

Welcome to the forum.

My opinion. Ecourage your husband to join up & take it onboard "first hand."
Some knowledgeable guys already answered above.
It may be more empowering for your fella to join & consult in person? There's no need for the guy to be shy. With his understanding of what's happening it may enrich you both.?

Good luck!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Waterlady
[EDIT]
How lucky he is to have you looking out for him.

all good advise above.

He'll need to know whether he's Type ONE or Type TWO
They get banded together but they are very different in cause and treatment

But i am Type TWO, so let me answer as if he is.

In basic terms.... he is allergic to sugars...also known as CARBS..(Aka carbohydrates)

so what others see as HEALTHY..... .to us are perhaps unhealthy,
and something we have an allergic reaction to..

so what do you think people do who KNOW they have an allergic reaction to something, do..?

Correct..they avoid that 'thing' as much as possible OR take greater care when around it

That is what i have done since Diagnosis.(DX) and finding this glorious forum

so what should he NOT eat...?

Bread.
rice
pasta.

there is your start of HIS journey back to health.

Do not mistake the advice that white /brown is different...it's NOT

bread is Bread..white brown or wholemeal.as is rice and pasta..all bad for a T2D.

The best thing he can do is avoid any of the above.

But on the bright side..carbs are few in eggs bacon and decent sausages..
so breakfast is BACK on the menu.

Yeah scary..HUH....:***:

Almost all the things we KNEW that were GOOD..are now bad.
And all the things that were BAD are now good..or so it seems.

I've had to totally reevaluate how i see FOOD

I guess if you shop, normally you look at the low calories, low fat stuff.
because that's what we KNEW was good, right.

Now here's my guidelines when shopping.

When i look at labels i IGNORE the calories..
(Because i'm T2D, and the carbs have a bigger impact on me)
and i just look at the CARBS per 100g on each packet.

Under 5g..i buy and put in basket no worries.

5-10 g..i probably umm and ahh, working out how MUCH of that i'd actually use per meal.
Tomato sauce for example..a splash or two..no problem..smothering the food in it ..avoid.

10G and above..it had better be special to be worth eating it.
and most things aren't..so they go back on the shelf and i move on to next aisle.

Check out the carbs in ANY cereal AND the recommended serving size...(usually a TINY handful).
My GOD..should that stuff even be in a food aisle.????

So low carbs..helps your man out

(diet doctor website as mentioned is a great source of information, and the link here takes you straight to a VISUAL page of how many carbs are in any particular item.
Something i found tremendously useful in those early days)

it may take a while to adapt to new foods. new ingredients and new ways of eating.
BUT it's an easy enough journey when you consider what the alternative COULD be.

For me, this site and eating as above, got me from 57 HBA1c with some iffy blood lipid numbers, and close on 17 stone..
Down in 10 months to Normal HBA1c (40) almost perfect lipid scores, and 13st 2lbs on the scales this morning.

wish your man all the best.
thank god for us men, there are women like you, willing to dig in.. to help us save ourselves.

Do keep in touch on here and let us know how it goes.
or better still, and @Antje77 suggest get him on here himself.

As i found out, when one of us is sick, it impacts both of us.

take care.
best wishes.
jjraak

Last edited:

Waterlady

Thank you for your reply jjraak!

We were told we should know in a couple of weeks which type it is. But we are sure it’s type 2.

That’s a good way of looking at it thank you! Thank you for the tips in the food aisles! He’ll be happy to know he can still have these things

I have encouraged him to download the app to his phone and join so I’m sure he will do at some point. I work in healthcare so naturally I’m researching everything and mainly informing him of what I come across as he is (and me too really) finding it confusing and daunting, so hearing it from me and having the support, he says is really helpful. You’re absolutely right, it does impact us both, I never realised how much diabetes can effect your lifestyle.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree @Waterlady
I admit I was so unaware of diabetes.
You just change your diet, cut out sugar and use insulin.. How hard can that be.??

My admiration for the type one's who just get on witH it...in awe best describes it.

And as for us T2's... What a change it forces on us.

Yes the road is long, but the company of so many good intentioned people on here, really makes it easy. Every days a school day, and I learn something new about me, or this disease nearly every day

It's a work in progress, but there no better place to do that learning then on here, imho.

Best wishes for your journey

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Waterlady - We're big foodies in this hacienda too, and you can imagine we were both a bit gutted when I was diagnosed back in 2013.

When we're at home, my OH and I always eat together, and prior to diagnosis always ate the same (as each other). The only thing that's changed there is we don't have quite a same breakfast (he tends to have yoghurt with fruit, and I tend to have rhubarb with yoghurt), and at lunchtime, I'll often have a (big!) salad, and he might have a sandwich. Our evening meal, we still eat the same as each other; but he might have either more carbs than me, or additional (different) carbs.

Of course, there's a transition period whilst things settle down, and of course that has bumps on the road. It'd be disingeneous to say otherwise, but, caring about him, as you clearly do, you'll get there.

There's some great stuff to eat, it's sometimes just change and additional thought, in the early days that can becme tiresome.

If your husband transpires to be T1, he may have a bit more flexibility, in terms of eating, but best not to get too wedded to T1/T2 in the meantime.

One very important point I willmake is that with his testing, if his numbers rise quickly, and go into the 20s, then you should seek advice sooner rather than later. If his numbers go into the 20s and he is sick, or generally feeling vile, seek help immediately.

I don't say that to frighten you, but because if he does have T1, and his condition is progressing, it can happen quite quickly.

As others have said, it'd be good to "meet" the man himself too.

Reactions: Waterlady

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply jjraak!

We were told we should know in a couple of weeks which type it is. But we are sure it’s type 2.

That’s a good way of looking at it thank you! Thank you for the tips in the food aisles! He’ll be happy to know he can still have these things

I have encouraged him to download the app to his phone and join so I’m sure he will do at some point. I work in healthcare so naturally I’m researching everything and mainly informing him of what I come across as he is (and me too really) finding it confusing and daunting, so hearing it from me and having the support, he says is really helpful. You’re absolutely right, it does impact us both, I never realised how much diabetes can effect your lifestyle.
It affects everything, though not as badly as you may think. It also makes you encounter people like the lady I met today: There was nothing on a menu I could eat because the kitchen ran out of the one thing that did suit my needs. Figured I'd just have some drinks then as I was parched, and just fast through lunch. The cook came out to our table, asked me what I needed, and made me one amazing omelet with salad and half an avocado... (Didn't even ask for the avocado. I told her she just kept making me happier and happier). It was really good. She didn't have to do that, but there's some wonderful people out there who'll do anything to make your journey easier. For me, that was that lady today. It was my husband when I was first diagnosed. Later on, this forum made a difference.

He'll be alright. And what @Rachox did with her diet? It's not just amazing, as you put it... It's entirely do-able as well. Especially if there's someone in your corner, like your husband has you.

This might help you guys as well: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Good luck eh, to both of you.
Jo

Reactions: Waterlady

Waterlady

DCUKMod thank you for your reply

We are pretty much the same, though we both work long shifts working in health care and security so often nip to the shops at lunch time etc and just grab something quick! It’s good to know that he didn’t completely change his diet, I’m open to trying knew things so will definitely give it a go

We are leaning towards it most likely being type 2, we might know more on Wednesday when we go to see his GP and nurse. His number haven’t gone that high in all honestly, they’re a bit all over the place I think. He had a reading of 7.8 yesterday then after eating was 14 but then today was 10.5 then 14.6 and hasn’t gone back under 10, in fact since using it he’s only had one reading of it being under 10. Thank you for your advice, we will both keep an eye on him he does generally feel a bit run down and just really really tired and “weak” as he puts it.

No problem at all, it’s good to know the warning signs. I’ve only ever had minimal experience with diabetes from the patients I care for, so I’m finding it all interesting yet daunting!

Absolutely, I’m sure he’ll be on here soon

Reactions: DCUKMod