Pins and Needles

cricketer

Hi,
Have been diabetic for just over a year, and recently the past few weeks I have noticed I get pins and needles in my legs quite often when Im sitting down or something. Its getting a bit annoying and Im really worried theres something serious wrong!! :cry:

Anyone got any idea how I can sort this? I thought I had good control so wouldnt be prone to stuff like this especially as im fairly young!

Forgot to add, im pretty active play loads of sports soooo would kinda like to keep my legs :wink:

Anyone got any advice?

Pneu

First off I wouldn't assume the worst! Secondly I would go see my GP...

Pins and needles can be caused by all sorts such as poor circulation, muscle tension, stress, anxiety, etc...

I had pains in arms and legs combined with pins and needles in my hands and feet... naturally I was pretty worried... went to the GP had various tests and in the end they diagnosed shoulder tension which was restricting blood flow... some prodding, poking and pain later and problem solved.

Snodger

Yep I've had pins and needles from shoulder problems like Pneu, and managed to get it under control with alexander technique.
If your HbA1c is under 8, your risk of neuropathy is about as low as you can get it - but your GP may not know that. Mine always assumes EVERYTHING is to do with diabetes. Don't be afraid to keep asking for other possible causes!

Pneu

Snodger do you have more information on the Alexander Technique? I have done a quick Google... but didn't know if you could recommend a book / video maybe? Looks interesting

Cheers

cricketer

Thanks, bit more reassured now! Would be pretty ****** off if I had neuropathy already considering my Hba1c is around 8