Newly diagnosed but feeling great

stevenkpalmer

Hi Guys
I am a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic; about 4 weeks ago I went for a 60 year old check up and found my HBA1c was about 53. The Dr called me and told me I was a T2D as if it was no big deal. Luckily I have worked in the pharma industry selling Glitazones to Drs so I know quite a lot about the condition and how important it is to tackle one's weight. I have instigated an immediate switch to an Atkins type diet of low carbs with no restriction on meat eggs cheese and fats, and the weight is already falling off. I have lost about 1 stone (14 pounds ) since my check up and am feeling great.My blood pressure is down to around ideal too. My wife has also been diagnosed T2D so we are changing our lifestyles together.
I am now looking for a way to monitor my blood sugar; which is best- HBA1c device or glucose?

Reactions: Redshank and Prem51

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
What a great start, you should get your blood sugars down to a respectable level in no time! There will be plenty coming on here to give you tips re testing and metres very soon I expect. Well done and welcome to the forum.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just today taken delivery of a Tee2 meter, from Spirit Healthcare as they seem about the cheapest source though there are similar options. You need to make an account then respond to an email to activate it - which is not at all clear on the website. I want to get another set of readings for my low carb eating now that I am a couple of years from getting back to normal levels.
Your Hba1c is not all that high. I would suspect that just cutting back on carbs, replacing high carb foods with lower carb alternatives would tip you back into normal.
Although there is a great emphasis placed on losing weight by some, I would advise lowering glucose levels is what you ought to be concentrating on.
I found that eating low carb meant effortless weightloss, as it seems to be a symptom of an inability to cope with carbs is to gain weight.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Steven and welcome. You have made a good move by eating low carb straight away, that’s what I did and got my HbA1c down to a non diabetic level in four months and have lost a shed load of weight.
I’ll post a link to our useful info for you here:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

As for meters I’ll post some info for one that tests your blood glucose at the time of testing. Many of us then feed those readings into an app called MySugr, which after you have input enough readings it will estimate your HbA1c. I emphasise estimate as it’s not entirely accurate but is good for watching trends.

Anyway here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on such a positive proactive response.

Can I clarify please if you mean relying on 3 monthly (or maybe even 6 or 12months depending on your dr) hb1ac checks or getting a meter to check daily yourself?

Every single time I vote for a meter.

Test before eating and 2 hrs after. More than a 2mmol rise and it’s too many carbs. Aim for as small arise as possible. Be aware morning fasting are often highest and slowest to respond to change, months even maybe more but the rest should show change possibly within days. (Well maybe not in your case as you’ve already made changes from diagnosis......

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys
I am a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic; about 4 weeks ago I went for a 60 year old check up and found my HBA1c was about 53. The Dr called me and told me I was a T2D as if it was no big deal. Luckily I have worked in the pharma industry selling Glitazones to Drs so I know quite a lot about the condition and how important it is to tackle one's weight. I have instigated an immediate switch to an Atkins type diet of low carbs with no restriction on meat eggs cheese and fats, and the weight is already falling off. I have lost about 1 stone (14 pounds ) since my check up and am feeling great.My blood pressure is down to around ideal too. My wife has also been diagnosed T2D so we are changing our lifestyles together.
I am now looking for a way to monitor my blood sugar; which is best- HBA1c device or glucose?
Hey Steve,

Do both tests. Check your own bloodglucose so you know how foods impact you and what progress you're making. Do a HbA1c every now and again to get a better idea of what's happening overall. It's not an either or, just do both!

You're doing really well. Keep it up!
Jo

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @stevenkpalmer. Well done on getting a grasp on your condition so quickly.
I agree with the others who recommend you get a bg meter to monitor your bg levels daily, and to be able to assess how different foods affect you. Your gp should be arranging another HbA1c blood test three months after the test which resulted in your T2 diagnosis, but after that you might only get 6 monthly or annual HbA1c tests.
I use the TEE2+ bg meter as test strips are cheaper than most others. Some bg meters are free but the ongoing cost of test strips is higher. The TEE2+ costs £9.99 if you order online, but if you phone the suppliers Spirit Healthcare and tell them you are Type 2 they will probably send you a meter for free.
When ordering meter or strips remember to tick the box saying you are diabetic as your orders will then be exempt from VAT.

Reactions: stevenkpalmer