"OK" blood sugar confusion

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning :)

Just have a question relating to my Dad's Type 2 diabetes. He's just been in hospital (for a unrelated reasons) and had his blood sugar checked regularly. They woke him up in the middle of the night one time because his blood sugar was very low (don't know what number) and they made him eat a yoghurt type thing to bring levels up . The following morning they were concerned he was too low again (4.7) so before discharging they took it again and it was 11. They were happy with this! I happened to be there and said blimey if mine was 11 I would be worried. I asked what is considered a "normal range" and the nurse said 5-15. I was surprised at the top level being as high as 15!

Has anyone else been told something similar from the NHS?

PS He's back home now :happy:

Eylise

Morning :)

Just have a question relating to my Dad's Type 2 diabetes. He's just been in hospital (for a unrelated reasons) and had his blood sugar checked regularly. They woke him up in the middle of the night one time because his blood sugar was very low (don't know what number) and they made him eat a yoghurt type thing to bring levels up . The following morning they were concerned he was too low again (4.7) so before discharging they took it again and it was 11. They were happy with this! I happened to be there and said blimey if mine was 11 I would be worried. I asked what is considered a "normal range" and the nurse said 5-15. I was surprised at the top level being as high as 15!

Has anyone else been told something similar from the NHS?

PS He's back home now :happy:
Hi, Type 1 here.
I'm pretty sure that the ranges for both types of diabetes are similar, though there may be a bit of wiggle room either way. However, 15 is definitely not a good range border. I was told that anything over 10 is high, and anything higher than 14 is getting to concerning levels of high and needs a correction dose as well as a test for ketones.
I hope your Dad is okay and feeling better after their hospital trip, as well as after their BG dip and spikes. Sending you well wishes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope he recovers very quickly. It is no wonder that you are confused after hearing that a reading in the mid teens is acceptable. In my opinion it is not. I was diagnosed with what would have been average readings of 15 to 20 (obviously, having no idea that I had T2 I was not testing but this equates to the A1c averages). I was a disaster waiting to happen.

Of course there are times, during illness for e.g that we get hyper but we should address those hypers and try to keep them to a minimum. A level of 4.7 is not too low at all and I personally would be quite unhappy to see an 11.0.

Reactions: VioletViolet

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hospitals want to play it safe and keep patients at higher levels as they really really don't like lows. It will also depend on the hospital, but sometimes you don't have a choice, except to be careful with what you eat while you are there.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The few occasions over the last 11 years I’ve been in hospital I’ve declined BS testing and without exception, all the HCPs simply did not understand my explanation that it’s utterly pointless as I don’t take BS lowering medication, don’t eat carbs and have a very healthy liver. They also don’t get why I’d decline the biscuit offered to eat with a drug that’s recommended to take with food either or why the cream in my coffee would be way better.

The level of cognitive dissonance in the health profession is high. Nil by mouth, no water but here, have some ice to suck.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I believe that hospitals are particularly concerned about hypos in older people, @VioletViolet . How old is your father? For a person in their eighties then a low blood sugar incident (leading to confusion, maybe a fall?) is probably seen as far more of a risk then an occasional 15 which may result in long term complications in 10 years time....

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hospitals want to play it safe and keep patients at higher levels as they really really don't like lows. It will also depend on the hospital, but sometimes you don't have a choice, except to be careful with what you eat while you are there.

Thanks I hadn't thought of it like that, based on too low fears.

As people have said many time on this forum the food they gave him cornflakes, white toast , biscuits etc etc :banghead:

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that hospitals are particularly concerned about hypos in older people, @VioletViolet . How old is your father? For a person in their eighties then a low blood sugar incident (leading to confusion, maybe a fall?) is probably seen as far more of a risk then an occasional 15 which may result in long term complications in 10 years time....

Hes 90 and a poor /infrequent eater so that all adds up and makes so much sense. Thank you!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think there are (should be) two different ranges.
One for patients on BG lowering medication, where the floor is quite high, and another for those not on BG lowering medication where the floor is a lot lower.

Non-diabetics can go down to 3.5 mmol/L and still be in normal range.

4.7 sounds pretty good, really.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be that 5-15 for a random test is regarded by the hospital as an OK range to discharge a patient, rather than OK as a general rule.

Reactions: 1spuds

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, I spent yesterday catching up on my missed rest/sleep after last weeks stress with Dad. I forgot how exhausting it can be when someone is in hospital. Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's kindness and best wishes for Dad - he's doing OK and glad to be home x

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a delayed reaction thought , if I can control my sugars til I am lucky enough to reach Dad's age then my 90s will be a choc fest

Reactions: Marie 2