What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6 again this morning, after 6.1 last night. Really pleased.
@Debandez. Glad you are enjoying Norfolk. Are you also going to Norwich?
I think you’ll need some waterproofs today and tomorrow.
I probably missed it, but is your FIL from Norfolk?
No just covering Norfolk (the whole of practically!!!). Managed to dodge rain today. FIL from Halifax but lived Blackpool most of his life. Loves Norfolk.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Saturday, everyone!

This morning my meter gave me something that looked a little like this --

cricket-stump-png-md.png

-- anybody got any ideas as to what it might have meant?
You have been taken over by Ronald and his golden burgers

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We are having a wonderful time away in Norfolk. FIL is enjoying showing us his favourite areas. All individual. All incredibly pretty I must say. I particularly liked Holt which was on yesterdays agenda.

I have to share my TripAdvisor review with you today. So you get a feel for one of the nicest cafes I've ever been to. If you get chance and you are in Hunstanton dont miss it. It is very special. And I succumbed to half a scone (no jam!). Warm and delicious. Homeward bound today. Lovely memories made. Going to surprise FIL with a pit stop at Hebden Bridge en route. He thinks it's a motorway service pit stop! Hebden bridge holds many fond memories for him too.

TRIPADVISOR REVIEW

INSTANTLY TRANSPORTED BACK TO A BYGONE ERA

THE REASON WE WERE IN HUNSTANTON

We are from Blackpool and it was my father in law's 90th birthday. His favourite holiday destination was Hunstanton. He went for many years with my mother in law. But not since her demise over 10 years ago. As it is such a special birthday and he is a very special person we booked Norfolk for 3 nights. He has guided us to many wonderful towns during our time here, Hunstanton being our ultimate favourite too. If I had £1 for every time he has said on this little break 'this used to be our favourite....' I would be quite a rich lady. And 2 High Street was where their favourite cafe was.

THE AREA

At the top of the high street with great views down and around this lovely town.

OUTSIDE

Outside seating available. The tables looked very inviting. Throughout Hunstanton you see pretty coloured bicycles adorned with flowers and here you will see a pretty blue one. Overhead you can already see the history oozing out of the building with the original signage 'confectioners' 'tobaconist ' 'C.W.ABBS' over the door.

INSIDE

We were not prepared for what met us inside. When my father in law last went many years ago it was just a 'nice little cafe'. Now it's the most magical place to enjoy coffee in the whole world. It has superceded our previous favourites, the famous Majestic in Porto and The Ritz in London. You instantly feel the love that's gone into Berni Beans Its a Wonderful Life. It took my breath away. Every part of it has been thought out and put together to perfection from the 1940s music playing in the background to the vintage fine bone China tea cups and saucers on every table. Each one beautifully individual. The tables all set impeccably with fresh yellow roses in simple white vases. And the curtains really need their own paragraph in my review!

THE CURTAINS

Pretty nets adorning the windows. Pristine and white. Set so the customer can see the world outside passing by. And also lush thick deep red ones leading to the immaculate bathroom facilities and kitchen area. Quite theatrical in fact.

AMANDA

Amanda the owner, what a lovely lady she is. She gave us a very warm welcome and when we explained we were there for my father in law's 90th birthday she even produced a birthday card. On request she gave us a little history of this unique cafe. There was a very special person in her life called Bernard. He had been like a grandad to her and was indeed the inspiration behind the magic that is Berni Beans. He meant the world to her. And although he has passed away he still does. Heartwarming.

THE FOOD AND DRINK

We had eaten earlier at our hotel so just coffee and scones (the afternoon tea did look incredible). I love my coffee and this coffee was indeed delicious. Cafitiere. So you can enjoy several cups. And we did. With double cream. And a delicious homemade scone with cream and jam. Warm and fresh out of the oven. Delightful.

THE STAFF

Served by Amanda and Monica. Service with a smile and second to non. Saying goodbye to Amanda we felt as if we were saying goodbye to a friend.

THE WEBSITE

This will give you an idea of just how special this place is. Check out the link to 'It's a wonderful life '. Magic. Just like this cafe.

Attachments

• 20190727_104400_resized.jpg
    20190727_104400_resized.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 20190727_105359_resized.jpg
    20190727_105359_resized.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 20190727_104435_resized.jpg
    20190727_104435_resized.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting evening last night.

Aziz was one of the chaps looking for help with his uni degree, regarding how people with type 2 use the forums to help get advice and maintain their health.

a good 30 minutes of answering his direct questions, with perhaps another 10 mins answering the questions off the sheet that popped up as we spoke.

helped me as i vocalised, understand better, just what i'd like the Government / Health system to do for anyone with diabetes, and in particular, rather selfishly for me Type 2 diabetes.

after expressing my disappointment at the lack of information and the miserable treatment of being diagnosed and handed a leaflet, then almost being rushed out of the door in 10 mins flat...........
fire.gif

I chilled out....
smurfgrandpa.gif

Nice experience, i hope he's taken away a good opinion of the forum and what it represents for us.

I think the overview of the conversation was that i thought the Forum and it's type SHOULD be offered day one, and it while it should be independent..(see Diabetes.uk. sponsorship deal :banghead:)

It SHOULD be a valuable part OF the Healthcare system.
an extension of the GP's practice in essence.

The place we come to AFTER the surgery vist and the health bombshell has been delivered
To get a hug, steady ourselves and begin to understand *** has just happened to us...:wideyed::woot::arghh:

In a civilised society, THAT is what SHOULD happen....

NOT Just leaves us worrying ourselves stupid,
until WE find the information WE NEED to begin managing and controlling this wretched disease
by hearsay or groping blindly on the Web..

Anyway, raining here in the Capital..
( that always sounds like a broadcast from the Hunger Games, pretty apt, really..LoL)
my day off, so up stupid early AGAIN...as you do...:rolleyes::banghead:

FBG bang on 6.0
picking up some kitchen chairs today, then drilling off the cheese like screws on my rear brake reservoir
that have melted under the pressure of a simple twist of the screwdriver,

so that will be an enjoyable afternoon...:sorry:

Have a good un all.

:D

I still find it hard to believe it happens this way. Things will change for us soon. I have no doubt. Keep the faith my friend. United we stand. I'm excited to read all the articles in the Sun (due to be published August I believe). My interviewer has taken down so much and is squeezing as much as she can in my section and there are many others from DCUK with similar stories. It has millions of readers. I'm so excited at what might be.

Completely opposite advice more or less. DCUK vs DUK. Incredible. Have you ever read a success story from DUK. I haven't. So many from DCUK and they just keep coming.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.9 this morning which is a bit too high but I can't say I am too bothered at the moment. After my positive scan results of last Friday it would take a lot to bother me.

I woke up very early this morning, in time for sunrise swim. Pure bliss. Like swimming in liquid gold.

Have a great Sunday
20190728_065201.jpeg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. A bit gloomy still today but with the bonus of being cooler during the night.

The wonder wheel of lazy days and a pleasant BBQ rewarded efforts for artistic interpretation with a 5.6. It’s generosity knows no bounds it seems (as long as you don’t upset it with (mainly) white food or excessive quantities of red meat).

Back is playing up again so best get some drugs sorted out and then waft about the room making appalling approximations to belly dancing moves in order to lubricate the joints and coax some movement into them. “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” (Sun Tzu).

Viv19

Good morning everyone. A bit gloomy still today but with the bonus of being cooler during the night.

The wonder wheel of lazy days and a pleasant BBQ rewarded efforts for artistic interpretation with a 5.6. It’s generosity knows no bounds it seems (as long as you don’t upset it with (mainly) white food or excessive quantities of red meat).

Back is playing up again so best get some drugs sorted out and then waft about the room making appalling approximations to belly dancing moves in order to lubricate the joints and coax some movement into them. “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” (Sun Tzu).

That must be a sight for sore eyes dunelm! Sort of equivalent to my contortions before getting up, trying to stretch complaining ligaments on the forgiving surface of my mattress. Much kinder than the floor.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I certainly will. Glad IF works for you as others seem to feel it does for them. Think the time turner will be as useful as a chocolate fireguard like IF is for me. I still generally follow 18 hr fasting hoping, Micawber like, for something to turn up. Always good to know what works for other people.
Yes - I do feel good on IF - but what I am really hoping for is to improve my health further with keto and IF.

Problem is that I know that I am really lucky to be able to maintain reasonable BS levels without insulin as it was highly likely that I had undiagnosed diabetes for years and years before being diagnosed with an hba1c of 125.

What I really want is fbs in the 4s every morning without fail - not the 5s and occasionally 4s and occasional 6s - like this morning's 6.2.

So I am traveling hopefully along the road of keto and IF. As I typed this I suddenly remembered the quote 'to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive". Not sure if hope and anticipation is actually better than the reality of all those lovely 4s but it does feel really good to be doing something to improve my health - even If I don't ever actually achieve my ultimate goal.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning fellow humans, a 6.3 on the dice after a late night cheese on toast episode.
Have a most enjoyable day people.
I had a 6.2 on a saintly but later than usual salmon salad. Interesting that the lateness of the meal affects fbs - or at least it does for me whatever the meal consists of.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.5 after Indian meal out last night and no alcohol. No matter how hard I try to choose well it gives me bad numbers. Not repeating in a hurry.
@PatsyB sorry to hear you are not good and hope you feel better soon. @pavlosn another lovely pic who could resist swimming in that water (me obs cant swim lol)! Good news about your scan. @Debandez there you go again! Your way of writing and drawing in you in is magic. What a lovely trip for you all. @Krystyna23040 I admire your determination with IF. @karen8967 take care. @trick60 I get the impression cheese on toast would be your “meal before the gallows”. @HarrisonK ”father of the thread” hope all is good with you.
Have a good Sunday everyone. Me and OH are clearing out the garage which is rammed with stuff. Give it half an hour and we wont be speaking!
Stay well, stay safe.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
After I posted I suddenly remembered what it was like a year and a half ago. I was struggling with all my BS even on low carb and keto. My goal was to keep blood sugars under 8 so that I never had to go back on insulin.

if I stayed off insulin I was going to be happy forever as I had reached my ultimate goal. So am not sure where the new goal of fasting BS in the 4s actually appeared from. So maybe there is some truth in the quote "to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive".