Carbohydrate sugars?

Waterlady

Hi everyone

I’m sorry if this may sound like a really daft question, I’m still getting educated and never took much notice of food labels before! When looking for the carbohydrate amount in foods, am I looking for the total carbs in grams or the part underneath where it says “of which sugars” where it usually says less grams? so I suppose what I’m really asking is, is it the actual carbs that effect BG or the “of which sugars” in carbs?

Thank you guys

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All carbs count.. so look at the total number per 100g (assuming you are UK based).
Reason being that all carbs turn to glucose once ingested.

Reactions: Waterlady

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just use the total carbs, you can ignore the ‘of which sugars’. Don’t worry about asking questions, that’s what the forum is for :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Waterlady , I see from your posts yesterday that your husband is waiting to hear whether the diagnosis is T1 or T2.

While it is true that all carbs turn to glucose, if the dx turns out to be T1, the "of which sugars" part can be quite important.

If I as a T1 am eating, say, 50g carbs, of which 40g is sugars, that will absorb into my bloodstream very quickly, so I would be inclined to inject insulin quite far in advance so it has time to get to work and meet the glucose on a level playing field.

Whereas if I was eating 50g of which 5g was sugars, like, say, pulses, that would take much longer to break down into glucose, so a too early injection of insulin would drop me way too low.

So T1s, if that turns out to be the diagnosis, do need to pay attention to how simple or complex the carb is.

That's my take on it as a T1, but it can have some relevance to T2s as well, some people's natural insulin responses can manage quite well with complex carbs, not so well with simpler carbs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The only exception to the do not deduct rule in the UK is for sugar alcohols, which Humans do not digest - but I do warn that the bacterial in the gut can - and they have a party.
When I over indulged I thought that I was going to become Geography, I was so blown up.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Look up sugar free gummi bears on amazon and read the reviews - absolutely hysterical if you have a sense of humour with a scatological bent.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for your replies! So how many grams of carbs would you maybe stay under? Like per portion?
It varies from person to person. In the beginning it all about experimenting to work out how the body reacts to different levels. Did your husband get a blood sugar meter? If not he would do well to get one. He needs to test right before a meal and then 2 hours after first bite. He’s looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmol/l (and to not go above around 8 in any case). If the reading does rise by more then there were too many carbs in the meal.
I started on 100g carbs per day on diagnosis, but over the first nine months I gradually reduced down to between 30- 50g/day and that’s where I stay to maintain non diabetic HbA1cs. Some type 2s can tolerate more, some need to go lower still.

Waterlady

It varies from person to person. In the beginning it all about experimenting to work out how the body reacts to different levels. Did your husband get a blood sugar meter? If not he would do well to get one. He needs to test right before a meal and then 2 hours after first bite. He’s looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmol/l (and to not go above around 8 in any case). If the reading does rise by more then there were too many carbs in the meal.
I started on 100g carbs per day on diagnosis, but over the first nine months I gradually reduced down to between 30- 50g/day and that’s where I stay to maintain non diabetic HbA1cs. Some type 2s can tolerate more, some need to go lower still.

Thank you for your advice! He does have one yeh, he kind of stays over 8 anyway. Wake up and it’s around 10, his first reading was 15.9 and hasn’t been that high since he’s been keeping an eye on it! it appears to be starting to lower, before he had tea it was 6.8 will see what it says in an hour (he finished work late) he has started reducing carbs, he’s very tall and eats loads and he definitely hasn’t been eating as much as he normally would, so I’m not sure if that’s impacting his readings too. Obviously it’s early days, but it’s interesting to see what is and isn’t effecting the readings as much. Do Metformin help in reducing the BG levels?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do Metformin help in reducing the BG levels?

Metformin doesn’t have a huge direct effect on blood sugars, it’s effect is more in stopping the liver releasing too much glucose. I found when I experimented with dropping one tablet last year my readings only went up by about 0.3 mol/l

Reactions: Waterlady

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your replies! So how many grams of carbs would you maybe stay under? Like per portion?

Depends entirely on his needs. So Rachox' advice on using a meter to eat to is solid. Just aim for under 2.0 mmol/l and he's good. (He could go for keto, which is 20 grams of carbs a day or less, but that's quite the switch to make out of nowhere!) Out of interest; you say your husband is eating a lot less. Do you mean his portions are smaller, or he's snacking less, is he going hungry or just doesn't feel like he needs to eat? Portion control is one method of going things, and if he's feeling alright on that, that's perfectly fine... But if he'd love to work down 5 eggs instead of 3 on a morning, maybe with some high meat content sausages to go with it (I'm going for a really big hungry bloke here, in my mind's eye), then that's fine too. Right now you need to focus on carb content, and if that is low, he doesn't strictly have to reduce portions right now. I mean.... He's going to have to eat low carb for a long, long time, so he has to be comfortable with the diet. As in, satisfied, in both volume as well as taste. (Can't keep up a diet if you hate what you're eating and you're hungry all the time.).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Waterlady - I think the question of target carbohydrate consumption levels are a bit personal really.

There are some on here who feel they need tpo be pretty binary, in terms of what they do and do not have, and others who have used a system of incrementally cutting down on carbs, but obviously taking action on the biggies (like full sugar drinks, sweet snacks- cakes etc.).

I think you and he need two things:

- Firstly clarification of his diabetes type. That's very helpful in your poanning
- Secondly, to have a gloves off discussion between you about what is sustainable. There's no point going the whole ninja carb cutting, only to find you burn out and are back to sqwuare one, when a more steady appraoch might have been best.

Please don't think I'm saying none of this matters. It really does. However, when it comes to change, we need to be ready for it, and we need to buy into it. Just because someone else bought into their approach doesn't necessarily mean it's right for another person.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found a turning point when I was under 8mmol/l after meals - once I found how to do that I stuck to the same meals and my numbers dropped, then went erratic for a few weeks and then dropped down again. That was at 50 gm of carbs a day as a maximum. I was not trying to get by on small amounts of high carb food but eating only things with less than 11 percent carbs, except for small amounts of high cocoa chocolate once in a while.
Apart from reducing carbs I don't really restrict anything - so if I want another egg I have one, and meat fish cheese are all low carb options.