Nutritional Therapist links refined carbohydrate with Triglyceride production

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We get Round & About, a free regional magazine. In the Aug 2019 issue is an article (sadly not online too) by Mark Bennett who describes himself as "a functionally trained Nutritional Therapist (essentially a nutritional scientist working in clinical practice)".

On a piece about the benefits of prebiotics he cites one of their benefits as "Triglyceride reduction - fat in the blood, which is formed in the liver by eating excessive calories/refined carbohydrate foods and is probably one of the most important yet often overlooked markers for cardio vascular disease risk."

(Although I gather cardiologists find Triglycerides/HDL is a good indicator of Cardiovascular risk.)

I knew high Triglyceride levels seem significant for CVD risk but didn't really know where they came from. Along with blood/body saturated fat made by the liver - a process called hepatic de novo lipogenesis - when dietary fat is replaced by carbs (since its production is triggered by insulin) it helps explain why a March 2018 study entitled Global Correlates of Cardiovascular Risk: A Comparison of 158 Countries stated: "However, regardless of the statistical method used, the results always show very similar trends and identify high carbohydrate consumption (mainly in the form of cereals and wheat, in particular) as the dietary factor most consistently associated with the risk of CVDs." where CVDs = cardiovascular diseases.

Interesting!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We get Round & About, a free regional magazine. In the Aug 2019 issue is an article (sadly not online too) by Mark Bennett who describes himself as "a functionally trained Nutritional Therapist (essentially a nutritional scientist working in clinical practice)".

On a piece about the benefits of prebiotics he cites one of their benefits as "Triglyceride reduction - fat in the blood, which is formed in the liver by eating excessive calories/refined carbohydrate foods and is probably one of the most important yet often overlooked markers for cardio vascular disease risk."

(Although I gather cardiologists find Triglycerides/HDL is a good indicator of Cardiovascular risk.)

I knew high Triglyceride levels seem significant for CVD risk but didn't really know where they came from. Along with blood/body saturated fat made by the liver - a process called hepatic de novo lipogenesis - when dietary fat is replaced by carbs (since its production is triggered by insulin) it helps explain why a March 2018 study entitled Global Correlates of Cardiovascular Risk: A Comparison of 158 Countries stated: "However, regardless of the statistical method used, the results always show very similar trends and identify high carbohydrate consumption (mainly in the form of cereals and wheat, in particular) as the dietary factor most consistently associated with the risk of CVDs." where CVDs = cardiovascular diseases.

Interesting!

Most interesting.
Cheers fur post.

Reactions: pdmjoker

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC297222

This paper from 1968 showed that rate of triglyceride synthesis was high when rats were fed diets high in sucrose and fructose. The rate was less on diets high in complex carbohydrates and much lower when the rats were fasted. Several biochemical routes for the biosynthesis of triglycerides from carbohydrates by the liver are well known. Interesting that the carbohydrate - triglyceride - CVD link is not better recognised!

Reactions: 1spuds

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Seeing the DN tomorrow. Likely to get a b*ll*cking about my elevated Triglycerides.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Global Correlates of Cardiovascular Risk: A Comparison of 158 Countries stated: "However, regardless of the statistical method used, the results always show very similar trends and identify high carbohydrate consumption (mainly in the form of cereals and wheat, in particular) as the dietary factor most consistently associated with the risk of CVDs." where CVDs = cardiovascular diseases.

The full article is open access.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946196/

Some excepts...
upload_2019-7-29_12-12-37.png

And
upload_2019-7-29_12-13-30.png

And
upload_2019-7-29_12-10-27.png