Type 2 Forxiga

emm_mac

Hello
I have been prescribed Forxiga the 10mg tablet in addition to the SR Metformin I take as my last HB1c was 99.
I have only read bad things about the tablet & today I took the first one & I’ve been back & fore to the toilet all day.
Has anyone had a positive experience from taking Forxiga as all I read when I look it up is very negative & I am concerned about continuing with this.
Many thanks.

Reactions: Jaded Judi

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
been onm forxigo for about a year so far all seems to be fine

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’ve been on forxiga since last August. Upset tummy isn’t a side effect as far as I’m aware. One reason why I was put on that as I had severe IBS so dr was very careful not to make it worse.

Metformin however nearly finished me off. Stabbing pains all over body (and they were stabbing) cramps diarrhoea the whole caboodle.

Forxiga has never upset my stomach

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think they may put me on it too. Metformin not agreeing with me and blood sugar higher. A bit scared about side effects too.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say everyone reacts differently to different drugs. Some on the forum have been on Forxiga for a long time with no trouble. I couldn’t handle it though. First 2-3 months things seemed fine but I had severe hunger,thirst, fatigue issues. Initially I didn’t link these to Forxiga but as it got worse,and ruling out other possibilities, my doctor took me off the Forxiga. Such a relief. I am sticking now with metformin and controlling carbs... I would say give the medication some time and monitor closely.., good luck

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
I have been prescribed Forxiga the 10mg tablet in addition to the SR Metformin I take as my last HB1c was 99.
I have only read bad things about the tablet & today I took the first one & I’ve been back & fore to the toilet all day.
Has anyone had a positive experience from taking Forxiga as all I read when I look it up is very negative & I am concerned about continuing with this.
Many thanks.
Welcome to the forum

Did you make any changes in addition to taking the metformin ? If not maybe you could try that first first before taking an additional medication, especially one you aren’t happy about taking. Whichever you choose it does need to be lowered by some method. It’s your choice which, and obviously we have to say to do it in consultation with your dr even if you choose not to take their advice ultimately (it’s not compulsory orders remember !) as they do need to know what you are and aren’t taking.

Metformin only has a small effect by stopping your liver dumping more glucose into your blood and it is supposed to be alongside lifestyle changes not instead. most type 2 in here find low carb far more effective for bloods, weight and cholesterol than the usual low calorie low fat advice.

I’ve never used forxiga but I understand having to pee a lot is typical (it removes excess glucose that way) and likely to continue to some extent.

Some links for info

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (then typically recommended not blocks of lard high!) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well been on it a week. Weeing like mad, tummy pains and now ketones in urine. Stopped it and getting reviewed. Not good. Back to metformin for a bit! More tummy issues with that. Rubbish!!!! There must be a nice pill out there?!
Been told to take 5mg of forxiga and 500mg of metformin. Fingers crossed.
Have been given ketones sticks to test urine as had a trace. Worried a bit!!!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well been on it a week. Weeing like mad, tummy pains and now ketones in urine. Stopped it and getting reviewed. Not good. Back to metformin for a bit! More tummy issues with that. Rubbish!!!! There must be a nice pill out there?!
Been told to take 5mg of forxiga and 500mg of metformin. Fingers crossed.
Have been given ketones sticks to test urine as had a trace. Worried a bit!!!
Depending on your lifestyle and bloods you could try doing it by diet alone as many of us in here do. We eat low carb and it pretty much can perform miracles for many. Have you tried that?

No or little bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals and oats, flour. Any colour or variety. Instead eat lots of veg, especially above ground and green ones, salad and meats. Increase your healthy fats (not veg oils or marg!) to replenish energy you used to get from carbs.

Reactions: Shas3

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It doesn't work for everyone! I have lowered my carbs, but have EPI too. Not a typical type 2! Lost 3 stone also when diagnosed. My bloods have been going up gradually. At the moment I still have some insulin, but my pancreas is not working well. I am glad diet works for some, but not everyone.