Eye Tests

alan rm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Been advised by Retinal Clinic to go to my Opticians and have another eye test.Previous/annual test was in February. The Opticians mentioned there will be a charge for this appointment.
I thought we got these eye tests free ?

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
AFAIK diabetics can have yearly free eye tests - if you had your annual test in February that is only 5 months ago so not free, I guess, although there are often offers on at opticians offering free tests or tests for a tenner.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been advised by Retinal Clinic to go to my Opticians and have another eye test.Previous/annual test was in February. The Opticians mentioned there will be a charge for this appointment.
I thought we got these eye tests free ?

We have one as often as your optician considers necessary - I'm on 2 year checks, however, my optician has advised if I have an interim test because I think theree is an issue and my prescription has changed, there would be no charge.

I don't think we can have as many tests as we fancy, although I know you are being sent back, as opposed to just having it on a whim.

Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The eye tests for diabetics aren't the same as the one to see what kind of glasses you need at the optician.

Reactions: ert

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know they are different @Antje77 but the NHS allows for yearly free opticians eye tests for diabetics so the optician told me, plus we are also offered retinal screening yearly (done at a different place now, not the opticians)
Also, if you are over 60 you can get free eye checks at the opticians every two years - also courtesy of the NHS.

Reactions: jjraak

alan rm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This test has been recommended by the Retinal Clinic at the Hospital. I have two appointments a year. I haven't been discharged for three years to have a 'normal' eye screening. For the first time, at the last appointment the Cataract word was mentioned and arrangements for an op. I declined as I'm not aware or been effected of any changes and then there is the possible impact on my employment. My next appointment at the Hospital, Christmas !!! Hence the request to go and see the Opticians.
I have made an appointment for the Opticians but considering cancelling till November near my annual review and Hospital date.
Last results at Opticians in February no change. Blood sugars down average 6.2 over 21 days and weight lose just below 16st, (I'm 6ft 5inches)