Food brands / designed for Diabetics

ralphgmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I was just wondering why I can’t find food products that are specially targeted to diabetics. Some of you might say it’s not necessary if you have a proper diet but if there is something which simply P*** ME OFF is to have to spent a huge amount of time at a supermarket reading tons of labels to find out there is like 1% which is suitable. I would like just to enter an isle and grab something I know it’s targeted to us and I don’t need to worry this thing is full of sugar hidden somehow in their thousands of different names they have for sugar alcohols.

Is this regulated somehow that it’s prohibited to state is for diabetics?

Hotpepper20000

Hi all,

I was just wondering why I can’t find food products that are specially targeted to diabetics. Some of you might say it’s not necessary if you have a proper diet but if there is something which simply P*** ME OFF is to have to spent a huge amount of time at a supermarket reading tons of labels to find out there is like 1% which is suitable. I would like just to enter an isle and grab something I know it’s targeted to us and I don’t need to worry this thing is full of sugar hidden somehow in their thousands of different names they have for sugar alcohols.

I find the meat and dairy section perfectly suitable for me.

Reactions: Guzzler
D

Deleted member 308541

I researched all of the food that we buy in tins or packets online to see how many carbs were in each product. Once I got that part of the shopping list done I went on to fruit and veggies to see what I could get away eating.

Meat, bacon, dairy, fish and crusteceans were the last items to be done.

I think I spent about three hours on that, and ended up with about 120 items that we get on a regular basis.

Makes shopping easier andthe only stuff we do not buy is rice and pizza.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it might be illegal to label something as being for diabetics - there are, after all, different concepts at work - a type one might need something with a good amount of carbs in order to use the amount of insulin advised, but a type two would be looking for low carb, with any luck.

Reactions: ChrissiStar

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sugar alcohols are supposed to "metabolize so fast they don't spike your sugar levels", (type 2) but if you eat enough they can, plus some are more sensitive than others to it. Some are faster metabolizers than others. Plus there is stevia, and luo han (monk fruit), usually no sugar content for the amount used. It's very concentrated. Type 1's have to count sugar alcohols in some amount as they can't metabolize it at all.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tipetoo basically got it right. You don't have to read every label at the supermarket... Just sit down behind the computer, start with the things you'd usually buy, check those and their alternatives. It takes a little while, but it is worth it. My supermarket (the Dutch Jumbo) has an app where I can save the products that are right for me so I can easily add them to my digital cart later. (I pick up my order at the store).

As long as there is no consensus amongst the Powers That Be (government & food industry) about what's good for diabetics, don't expect to find foods that are labeled to be diabetes-safe. Trustworthy labels, that is. We have to put in the time & effort ourselves. For now.

Hi all,

D

Deleted member 308541

. My supermarket (the Dutch Jumbo) has an app where I can save the products that are right for me so I can easily add them to my digital cart later. (I pick up my order at the store).
Same here in Australia with the Woolworths app, my shopping list is saved and I just click on what I want to the cart, I can either pick up, or they will deliver.

Since last December we have had it delivered, it is reasonably priced to do.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mainstream belief is that diabetics should eat lots of complex carbs like brown rice but no sugar.
A common approach of T2 and some T1 members on this site is to cut down on all carbs and up the fats.
Some T2's go by high carb, low fat, plant based.
Lots of doctors say avoid fats when you're diabetic.
Some go all out carnivore.
Some do low carb, no meat.
T1's are even a more mixed bunch.

How would any food producer or supermarket be able to target their products 'for diabetics'?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Could you trust the brands to be honest? Some of the so called healthy, high protein bars are loaded with carbs and the manufacturers, having to comply with labeling rules, make it a nightmare to work out if it is 100g weight or portion size etc wrt nutritional information.

Very little research is needed when choosing whole, fresh foodstuffs that you intend to cook from scratch.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Decades ago, early 1970's, I remember my mum buying 'Diabetic foods' from Boots the chemist for my Type 1 uncle. She would buy jelly, jam, biscuits and some other foods, which I can't remember now, she did fuss over him when he visited.

But to OP, don't waste your time, money or effort on trying to look for 'Diabetic foods' as there are plenty of suitable foods on the supermarket shelf, or online, though I have never used online food shopping.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . . spent a huge amount of time at a supermarket reading tons of labels

If I need to check a label it takes 30 seconds.

I don’t need to worry this thing is full of sugar hidden somehow in their thousands of different names they have for sugar alcohols.

It's all there under carbohydrate.

That's a very good question. What constitutes "OK for diabetic"? If you've ever had a diabetic meal on a plane or in hospital, they aren't ever my idea of being suitable for diabetics. So I thing if a product was labeled suitable for diabetics and some are, I'd be very skeptical and looking for the carb label.

My comments apply to the U.K., hopefully our current labeling standard won't deteriorate because of some deal Boris hopes to make with other lunatics.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek