Struggling

Marge76

Was diagnosed with T2 over 6 months ago and it was a shock, beforehand I had a pretty healthy diet but now all I want to do is eat **** that I know I shouldn’t. It’s a constant battle. I’ve now been diagnosed with high blood pressure and have to take tablets for that also, going from someone who never took a pill even for a headache to taking all these tablets scares me and I just generally feel like **** most days, tired, lethargic. Any advice would be much appreciated.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya

First off welcome to the boards. We are a friendly bunch and someone will always have an answer.

Like you I'm a type II diabetic and when I was first diagnosed, about 4 years ago, I also went off and ate what I 'shouldnt' because it was there and I was rebelling. (I have to say my type II at present is controlled by diet alone). I've always been rebellious and if I'm told I CANT have something I want it all the more. Then I started reading articles and posts on here and realised the only person I was 'cheating' was myself and that if I didnt look after the small things then they would potentially get bigger and then harder to control.

What I did then, and I'm no way telling you to do it, was decided that I could have a slice of cake but only a slice and then to pass on it. I changed to sugar free biscuits and would often eat the whole packet but gradually realised I didnt need to eat them all, the grandkids could help me.

I also made an appointment and went and spoke to my surgery nurse and explained to her that I felt lethargic and couldnt stop myself from eating what I had in my own mind as 'naughty' foods. She explained that I was making myself lethargic because my body couldnt work out what to do with the 'naughty' foods.

I dont know anything about you so I'm only telling you my story. The other thing I did for self preservation was join a weight management group. I was then accountable for what food I was putting into my mouth. All food had a calorific value and if I fed myself with cake and biscuits and sweets all day I'd have no real food to fuel my body. I'm still not there, far from it but like with birthdays I will have a cake (we now buy cupcakes as easier to gauge how much I've had) and enjoy that. The lethargy hasnt completely gone, but then I take medication for another condition too so that doesnt help.

Please get advise from different places. I'm hoping someone will come along and post something else that might help you. If you ever feel you need to talk then come onto the boards and post. With members all over the world you can be sure someone will see it.

Take it day by day. Dont beat yourself up if you falter off the path. Praise yourself when you do, but not food related. And remember you're only human, be kind to yourself

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was originally diagnosed as T2 before (after 18 months ish) being disgnosed as T1 after losing loads of weight over the course if 3 months. When i was diagnosed as T2 the first thing i did was come on this website and forum and find out as much information as i could on how to live with diabetes. I felt like i was the only person who had it, angry thinking "why me" when i'd always tried to be healthy and active, guilty because there are so many people who are worse off then me...all ranges of emotions! The best thing i did was come in here and read. There is so much advice and support that you don't feel alone. Have a look at the website. I think there is a free booklet for T2 (i have the one for T1 so i assume there must be). It will have all the information in you need. Also, come on the forum and ask questions. There is always someone to help or advise. Sometimes just putting your feelings out there helps. Good luck and i hope you are feeling better soon.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was diagnosed with T2 over 6 months ago and it was a shock, beforehand I had a pretty healthy diet but now all I want to do is eat **** that I know I shouldn’t. It’s a constant battle. I’ve now been diagnosed with high blood pressure and have to take tablets for that also, going from someone who never took a pill even for a headache to taking all these tablets scares me and I just generally feel like **** most days, tired, lethargic. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I was diagnosed with T2 just over a year ago and now, in addition to the 2 blood pressure meds I was on before, I am on a third, plus Metformin, and now a statin. Plus Prozac. I'm taking nearly as many pills at 66 as my mother was taking at 88. The positive is that my BP is lower than it was for years, and I feel not-anxious to the point of feeling just blah all the time.

stevenkpalmer

Hi
I'm T2d like you and still adjusting to life. I know I am diabetic because I am overweight, and I know why.
1 I cant resist cakes, biscuits esp with coffee.
2 I like a drink especially wine with food. After a bottle of wine my resistance disappears and I'll eat any rubbish.
3 I like freshly made bread with loads of butter and marmite or cheese.
The way I am managing this is to keep reminding myself why it will be positive to lose weight. My clothes will fit. I will look better. My diabetes will be under control so I will be at less risk of a heart attack of stroke. Thats what really terrifies me- the idea that I will be laid up immobile unable to do things because of a stroke.
These thoughts help motivate me not to buy bread, cakes and booze, and to cook and eat healthy tasty fresh food instead of cloying starchy pies and spuds.